Renting a Car… si o no?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Renting a Car… si o no?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    bija

Where is the best place to rent a car for a week? Good price, good car, no scam…

Price of gas is “?” in CR now??? We;re also considering just taking the bus around. My daughter would prefer our own car, but might learn more by going with the crowd.

Going from SJO to Arenal, Manuel antonio, back to SJo. Any thoughts folks?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

First things first . . . The worst place to rent a car is Juan Santamaria Airport. That’s because there’s a hefty additional tax if you pick your car up at the airport. Instead, arrange to pick it up at the rental agency’s office. They’re all nearby the airport. Some agencies will pick you up; otherwise, take one of the plentiful taxis.

We’ve had good luck with Tri-Color, Avis and Payless.

senta

Last time we had a small rental car from tricolor – good choice. No need for a jeep where you are going. Make sure you mark every little scratch/dent on your contract before you take car out !!

dkt2u

can confirm what David said. You are throwing away money renting at the airport. Most people stay the first night in the general area when they first arrive and that can be a waste in it’self renting the car when you first arrive at the airport just to have it sitting in your hotel parking lot. San Jose is not a place most people want to drive around, especially if it’s your first time here. Check with the rental car company because not only will they typically pick you up at your hotel and bring you to their office, but many will deliver the car to your hotel that afternoon or first thing the following morning.

Gr1ng0T1c0

I’ve had good luck with Dollar.

It’s your call whether to drive of take the bus. Driving is very convenient and somewhat adventurous. Busing it is very cheap (if it’s not a tour), and much less convenient. The hot springs in Arenal will not be walking distance from your hotel, and Monteverde/Santa Elena is not that small geographically speaking. Unless you’re minimalists, I’d recommend the car rental, especially if you’re going with kids.

linlsd1

we used Alamo….no problems!

mediatica

I’ve used tricolor 5 times in the last two years and they have been great. Ask for Christian. He always makes sure everything is reserved and as confirmed! They also pick you up at the airport! Good luck.

bija

HEY ITS BIJA AGAIN, YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! Has anyone used the company mentioned on this site, “Rent a 4×4 in Costa Rica” ? Sounds straightforward, but any problemas with this outfit? Gracias!

chetohrt

Bija,
    Just came back from visiting Puerto Viejo and we rented a 4X4 from
    “Rent a 4×4 in Costa Rica” The Trackers basic but gets the job done, good service. It certainly was worth $35/day. Dean/Diego delivered the car as promised and on time. I would definately recommend.

kev

We had rented a Tracker from “Rent a 4×4 in CR” and it was amazing how these little cars would hold up driving the CR roads. $35.00 all inclusive is really not a bad deal, but you have to prepared to check the oil (there was none in our) and so on – low cost operation, or you can spend mega bucks for a new Lancruiser rental. I probably call Dean again for his no-nonsense deal he offers.

mountain

Hi All! I’m a 48 yr young adventurous gal planning my 2nd trip to CR with my “not so” adventurous 25ish daughter. My husband is unable to join us, so it will be just us “ticas”. I’m looking to rent a car for 7 days to take us from SJO to Liberia and back. 1 day there,1 day back, with local driving in between. I was considering “Rent a 4×4 in Costa Rica” due to Scott’s reccomendations.(I’ve been a faithful reader since Feb, even if this is only my 2nd response to the forum, I feel like I know you all!). I’ve read mixed reviews on this site in ref to this company, and the quality of their vehicles. I’m used to driving old MG’s & old trucks, so the Tracker sounds like fun. I can check oil & change oil, but, I don’t want to be worrying about that on my vaction! I’ld love to hear some more feedback on this company. Thanks in advance!

kkirk101

Hi,

I am wondering if you made your trip yet to Costa Rica? Did you find a good deal on a 4×4?

We are going down on Aug 16th and any good info you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I am new to this website, but have been running a major surf event in Costa Rica for 13 years, and learned about Pura Vida the right way….from the ticos. I have had a great relationship business wise with Economy Renta Car. They have multiple locations in the country, they have an office just outside the airport to stay away from the tax, and the lady who owns it is very fair and makes sure her vehicles are in good shape. They also have a good stock of vans which is hard to find with other companies. Check them out.Economy is my choice for every trip, and I come down 4-5 times a year for 13 years…….good luck ..Hankster

drushton

Dean is the best because he cares. Try getting that from the “big guys.” Things can go wrong occasionally with the very best and it’s how they handle it that counts. Dean and Diego are very caring people and I would never hesitate to deal with them again. Their vehicles are well maintained and the price is right too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.