Rental

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    nomad

Just to let you know I rented a 4X4 from Dean Krieg. Nobody was waiting with a sign when I arrived, he was at least 20 minutes late, did not bring a map, the vehicle was dirty, 4 different kinds of tires, 1 with hardly any tread. Too much play in the steering wheel and a clutch they needed adjustments. When I called to have it traded he said he did not own the vechicles but rents from others and would try to find a better one. He also said he would credit me for a couple of days. Now I email him and the emails are sent back, he obviously has blocked my address. He did “say” he found a better one that could be picked up the next day but it was too late as I was on my way to Arenal, dean suggested I change my plans but I own a home in CR and had business to take care. I was already on a tight schedule. He also sent a very nasty email when I reminded him of the credit he would apply to my credit card. Thrifty rents a brand new 4X4 for $38.00 a day. I have also had good luck with Tricolor.

I am wondering if this will get posted or will it be edited???

nomad
    Beware!!!!!

wmaes47

DELETED BY BILL MAES

Pura Vida
    Bill Maes

Edited on Sep 25, 2006 16:44

editer

Oh brother. I’ve reserved a 4×4 from Dean next year mostly because of what I read here. When I first saw the messages in the discussion forum, I thought to myself, “These could have been written by some of Dean’s employees or some of his relatives.” Then I saw the article about his company on this site and thought that he must be on the up and up. There were no other letters to the forum contradicting this conclusion…until now.

It’s possible that Rent a 4×4 is legit and just had a couple of bad days, but now I’m worried. I hope that we can get this cleared up with some other input. Has anyone else had dealings with Dean? I’m really looking forward to my trip and would hate to have it ruined because of an untrustworthy or second-rate vehicle. I still have time to cancel my deal and have my credit card advance returned. If I do cancel and have trouble with my refund, I guarantee you’ll hear it on the forum.

HELP

editer

wmaes47

PORTION DELETED BY BILL MAES

Pura Vida
    Bill Maes

Try these rental cpmpanies:
    http://www.crtropicalrentacar.com (I rent from them when needed and their rates are negotiable and reasonable. Turn the volumn down)
    http://www.servicecarrental.com/
    http://www.economyrentacar.com/DefaultFlash.aspx
    http://www.unique-travels.com/index.html
    http://www.puravidacars.com/ (US$84 more a week for a much larger and safer Galloper is a no brainer)

Happy renting, but not from Dean.

Cheers
    Bill Maes

Edited on Sep 25, 2006 16:45

Edited on Sep 26, 2006 08:36

wmaes47

DELETED BY BILL MAES

Pura Vida
    Bill Maes

Edited on Sep 25, 2006 16:46

drushton

BEFORE EVERYONE JUMPS ON DEAN and executes him in a fit of mob-justice let me say a word about the situation.

I have done business with Dean for about two years on a regular basis and I can tell you he is one of the best. He has one fault. He is loyal and he trusts people too much.

Christian is quite the oposite and did Dean a great deal of harm. About a year ago I told Dean that Christian was bad news and that he needed to fire him. Dean wanted to give him a second chance and he did – and a third and maybe a fourth. He should have fired him immediately but unfortunately Dean felt sorry for Christian. Finally he did fire him and had to pay him a settlement.

I have been in the same situation as an employer and twenty years ago my kindness cost me a business and more that that (but I don’t need to go further with the details). Yes, I should have fired a lot of people but I felt sorry for them and my kindness landed me in very serious trouble.

Now Christian is long gone.

Dean is still the guy with the very big heart who cares for his clients and, given a chance, he will provide an even better service.

PLEASE DO NOT DESTROY HIM FOR WHAT CHRISTIAN DID.

David

us2595

This is Dean. I am the owner of the 4×4 rental company being discussed. I invite anyone who is interested to read the numerous testimonials on our website of clients who were more than satisfied with our 4×4 vehicles and our service.

All the comments are from clients who agreed to allow me to post their emails on our website complete with their names, physical addresses, phone numbers and email addresses. None have been solicited, or compensated in any way. Here is the link to the page.

http://www.renta4x4incostarica.com/wst_page10.php

Let me add that we have good and bad days like any business. We strive to please ALL our clients, but sometimes we do ere, and I feel badly when this happens on rare occasion. Those few who are not satisfied tend to be very vocal, and that is their right… though sometimes the facts can get distorted a bit.

We do not, nor have we ever, offered vehicles that we rent from other agencies. We now have 23 vehicles in our fleet and my corporation owns ALL of them. Our vehicles are not new. This is one way we keep our prices low. However, all vehicles go through a 73 point check list before being released to a client. If they don’t pass, they go immediately to my mechanic. Preventative maintenance is key, and we
    spend thousands of dollars each month maintaining our fleet with new tires, brakes, shocks, windshield wipers, charging the air conditioning, etc.. just to name a few.

It is true that I did have an administrator who worked for me 6 months ago who I had to fire due to excessive tardiness when delivering vehicles to clients. I now have a sharp and excellent staff who speak perfect Engish and Spanish who are dedicated to timely deliveries of our 4×4’s to the clients, and excellent customer service.

Over 50% of our business is from repeat customers, and we are continuing to add to our fleet almost monthly as a result.

When we ere, I try to fix the issue with a refund, or credit, or whatever is reasonable. I do agonize over the few who are dissatisfied for whatever reason, even after I have done what I can to remedy the situation.

I thank all those of you who our our loyal customers and appreciate a fair price, good 4×4 vehicles, and excellent service. We’ll keep doing what we are doing and continue to improve. I am happy to discuss with anyone by phone or email any questions or concerns you might have. My email address is deank38@ureach.com.
    My toll free number is 1.866.906.4294. When you call toll free from the U.S. or Canada, it rings down to my personal cell phone here in Costa Rica.

— Dean Krieg, MBA
    Owner, “RENT A 4×4 in COSTA RICA”

Edited on Sep 24, 2006 13:05

Andrew
    Keymaster

NOMAD – Please tell me why you think this post would have been deleted?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

steve80545

I rented a car from Dean for a month this spring and was very happy with the service and the car. But this car was delivered to me by a man named Diego who was very polite, helpful, and pleasent. I will do business with them again.

jessicab

I’d like to put my two cents in about Dean.
    We rented a Geo from him for one month Feb-Mar 06.
    Diago was at the LIR when we arrived; not late.
    The Geo was good driving with the type of terrain we
    had to travel. It was however dusty, because of the tarp
    not being air-tight. Around the end of our third week, we
    traveled from Arenal to Grecia. The brakes were very weak
    and our driver’s headlight went out. We just happened to
    be in Grecia at the time and stayed overnight. Diago kindly
    brought us a newer vehicle. Whatever went down because of
    the tradeoff, Dean won’t rent to us again.
    I have scheduled to rent with another company. Dean, I hope
    that you feel confident enough about your business to be able
    to turn down clients. Sorry, your loss. Jessica from Plano, TX.

wmaes47

PORTION DELETED BY BILL MAES

Pura Vida
    Bill Maes

1) Don’t pay anything upfront for a deposit or rental. If the company can’t work this way, I suggest going to different rental agency. Any reputable company would use your card to hold the vehicle and you would be able to cancel when needed.

2) If you don’t like the vehicle when the drop is made, DON’T PAY.

3) Have a contingent rental company available. For a few dollars more you will have peace of mind and a reliable vehicle. There are many rental agencies in the area that would love to rent a vehicle to you.

Pura Vida
    Bill Maes

Edited on Sep 25, 2006 16:48

nomad

My advise is do not take any chance on your safety or a replacement vechicle being availabe if you have any problems. I went straight to Grecia (his local for the rentals) he did not even attempt to meet with us or give us the location of his business. The roads in CR are bad enough adding an inadequate rental makes it much more dangerous just look at the high fatlities from MVA’s. Life is too precious!!!

nomad

nomad

Scott,

I was not sure you would post something negative regarding a site recommendation, I also read an email in the past that said his note had been edited???

Sorry if it caused concern, you have a great website and seem to be a very good guy. I also appreciated Bill Maes!!

nomad

Andrew
    Keymaster

Just for the record “nomad”

Your feedback in this forum is greatly appreciated.

Just so you know – I will only delete “commercial posts” and “bloody silly” postings and “edit” embarassing typos and “move” postings that have been placed in the wrong place.

I have yet to delete a “controversial” posting including some OUTRAGEOUSLY defamatory and legally slanderous accusations that have been made against me personally – which can still be found in this forum.

Best wishes

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

GringoTico

To clear the record, I had previously thought one of my posts had been censored, and it was, but by my own cybersitter software, not by Scott. I edited that same post with an explanation, but here it is again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.