Rental Property sales tax

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Rental Property sales tax

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Imxploring
    Participant

Seems the thread I posted a few days ago on this topic has disappeared! 🙁 Nice to see Randall Zamora has added a nice article on the topic.

So once again… do folks really think the people running CR will not look to dig deeper into your pocket once you have declared your vacation property a “business” subject to not only the collection of sales tax but whatever fees and other business taxes they feel compelled to extract from you?

If this move to collect sales tax was to really “level the playing field” with hotel operators in CR rather than just an attempt on the government’s part to create another revenue stream wouldn’t the other fees hotel operators face be the next step?

Thoughts?

Andrew
    Keymaster

FYI – As a matter of policy ‘orphan posts’ are deleted after a week…

Like most governments, our government here is totally incompetent and dysfunctional – they will never take responsibility for the disgustingly bloated mess that they are with their obscene salaries and even more obscene pensions – and we should all expect that they will continue to try and suck more money out of our pockets rather than look at their miserable performance, expenses and mistakes…

PS. The article referred to is: [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/4867.cfm]Costa Rica Rental Property Owners – Beware![/url]

PPS. You are welcome to contact Costa Rica tax expert Randall Zamora for a free copy of his Costa Rica Top Ten Tax Tips, please contact him at:

Full Name Randall: Zamora Hidalgo
    Business Title: Founder & President
    Company Name: CostaRicaABC.com
    Address: Heredia, Costa Rica
    Website Address: http://www.CostaRicaABC.com
    Email address: welovecr@costaricaabc.com
    Telephone numbers: +506 2263-7344

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]FYI – As a matter of policy ‘orphan posts’ are deleted after a week…

Like most governments, our government here is totally incompetent and dysfunctional – they will never take responsibility for the disgustingly bloated mess that they are with their obscene salaries and even more obscene pensions – and we should all expect that they will continue to try and suck more money out of our pockets rather than look at their miserable performance, expenses and mistakes…

PS. The article referred to is: [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/4867.cfm]Costa Rica Rental Property Owners – Beware![/url]

PPS. You are welcome to contact Costa Rica tax expert Randall Zamora for a free copy of his Costa Rica Top Ten Tax Tips, please contact him at:

Telephone numbers: +506 2263-7344[/quote]

Great information! Randall has always provided honest, important, and future thinking information here!

The big question then becomes….to what length will the folks in CR go in order to identify rental properties… and once they do… what efforts and lengths will they go to in order to extract money from you?

There was an interesting article in today’s AMCOSTARICA dealing with CAJA assessments. I love this one line… really sums up the way governments operate these days….

“Monthly rates can vary widely depending on how much money CAJA workers think applicants have.”

If that don’t make it clear and simple on the direction things are headed I don’t know what will!

Still love Costa Rica…. just learning how to navigate the waters and fly well below the radar! LOL

davidd

Only time will reveal to what extent these incompetents will go after money.

here is one observation.

they are becoming much more aggressive as well in collections.

[quote=”Imxploring”][quote=”Scott”]FYI – As a matter of policy ‘orphan posts’ are deleted after a week…

Telephone numbers: +506 2263-7344[/quote]

Great information! Randall has always provided honest, important, and future thinking information here!

The big question then becomes….to what length will the folks in CR go in order to identify rental properties… and once they do… what efforts and lengths will they go to in order to extract money from you?

There was an interesting article in today’s AMCOSTARICA dealing with CAJA assessments. I love this one line… really sums up the way governments operate these days….

“Monthly rates can vary widely depending on how much money CAJA workers think applicants have.”

If that don’t make it clear and simple on the direction things are headed I don’t know what will!

Still love Costa Rica…. just learning how to navigate the waters and fly well below the radar! LOL[/quote]

Imxploring
    Participant

“Gringo pricing” at the CAJA…. Go figure! LOL

costaricafinca
    Participant

It has been known for years that the premium charged at one locale can be very different from another, which is why it makes it so hard to know ‘what to expect’…or rather, hope for.

lyncota
    Participant

Randall’s article puts things quite simply as far as how the tax is calculated and submitted. However, what are the other implications? Many of these rental properties are being held in S.A.’s, in inactive corporations. If these properties are being used for business, does the status need to be changed? Is this really the bigger issue for expats?

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]Whine… Bitch…Moan…Complain.

Bitch… Whine…Complain…Moan.

Complain…Whine…Bitch…Moan.

Moan…Complain…Whine…Bitch.

Repeat ad infinitum.

I’ve never met a bunch who seemed to enjoy complaining as much as you guys. It wouldn’t be so bad if at least you found some new things to moan about (though Scott’s recent rant about the standard boiler plate language written inside his passport did earn some points for novelty).

The whole “Pura Vida” spirit of Costa Rica seems totally lost on you. You must be a lot of fun at parties!

(Assuming you ever get invited to any).
    [/quote]

Following that mentality Steve you’d still be answering to a Queen located across the Atlantic! (No offense Scott!) Thankfully others did the heavy lifting while folks of your type sat and did nothing to rise up against overbearing and oppressive governments!

Let folks that have skin in the game discuss the issues while you sit at the kids table seeking the cheapest and least committal method of relocating to CR to take advantage of what CR has to offer. And at the same time escape the mess headed for Illinois and Chicago… the result of VERY poor choices by politicians and governments you’re so quick to defend.

Your apparent total trust and subservient attitude to governments and politicians has been quite well documented in your postings. Just sit back and accept the fact that some of us are somewhat less trusting or foolish.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”lyncota”]Randall’s article puts things quite simply as far as how the tax is calculated and submitted. However, what are the other implications? Many of these rental properties are being held in S.A.’s, in inactive corporations. If these properties are being used for business, does the status need to be changed? Is this really the bigger issue for expats?
    [/quote]

That was the point if my posting. This issue isn’t as simple as sales tax collection or “leveling the playing field” with hotel operators…. many of which don’t seem to be playing by the rules if recent government raids and closures are any indication.

This is nothing more than government looking to open and expand another revenue stream… and you can bet once you’re on their radar they will dig deeper into your pocket! This issue will have other implications as in the one you mentioned… your inactive S.A. (holding corporation for your property) suddenly becomes active…. doubling your annual tax… and you can be sure there will be other facets to this issue that will cost you more! Count on that!

lyncota
    Participant

This is a topic that has significant implications for expats and Ticos with “vacation rentals”. It doesn’t affect me personally, because I don’t rent my property out ( aside from friends who have stayed there “gratis” or the time I let it be used for a raffle prize in a benefit silent auction). In the future, I may go down that road so I want all the information I can get. If I have to pay taxes, I will do that because it is the law (and apparently has been for a while, just not enforced). Please don’t let this dissolve into a political pissing contest!!

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]Yes, of course, silly me. Posting endless whining messages about taxes on this obscure message board is EXACTLY like what occurred in 1776 and will no doubt have an immediate effect on …. well, I’m not sure what exactly.

Did you all know that every time imxploring posts yet another gripe about taxes an IRS agent earns his wings? LOL

(At least that’s the only theory I have at present as to why he continues to do that).[/quote]

Read Common Sense my friend…. perhaps the methods of distribution of information has changed in 200 years… but the message and problems have not. History repeats over and over… remember that.

Anything to add to the discussion (topic) or perhaps you’d like to comfort US all with an endorsement of how well managed governments (including that in CR) are and how they never do anything wrong?

Things are getting to a breaking point… even YOU will not be able to avoid the result.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”lyncota”]This is a topic that has significant implications for expats and Ticos with “vacation rentals”. It doesn’t affect me personally, because I don’t rent my property out ( aside from friends who have stayed there “gratis” or the time I let it be used for a raffle prize in a benefit silent auction). In the future, I may go down that road so I want all the information I can get. If I have to pay taxes, I will do that because it is the law (and apparently has been for a while, just not enforced). Please don’t let this dissolve into a political pissing contest!![/quote]

Unfortunately this has much to do with politics… those elected by those without…. that must now be rewarded by taking what you have. Much like the luxury home tax… another revenue stream that placed you on the radar.

lyncota
    Participant

Maybe this site needs to have 2 forums: one for “discussion” and one for actual information. Just sayin’.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”lyncota”]Maybe this site needs to have 2 forums: one for “discussion” and one for actual information. Just sayin’.[/quote]

Great idea! The only problem we all face in CR is that much of the “information” (I’d like to call them facts but that’s impossible in dealing with government in CR) is rather fluid from time to time, place to place, and representative to representative as folks have been finding out with CAJA assessments. The “facts” vary from location to location.

As to this thread I hope it’s purpose is to help people see the possible implications to the current actions of the politicians in CR and to be prepared! Simply accepting these latest moves may very well result in much further reaching taxes and fees down the road. Tread lightly!

davidd

sweikert925

you would be right except imxploring took the leap and is an actual person living here in Costa Rica while you still are in that tourist mode.

why do yu feel the need to agitate discussions??

this discussion had nothing to do with you and is relevant to topic

while your point has nothing to do except fuel that mental masturbation that you enjoy so much.

here is something you may enjoy.. Tim Ferris recent challenge

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2014/07/30/nobnom-no-booze-no-masturbating/

[quote=”sweikert925″]Yes, of course, silly me. Posting endless whining messages about taxes on this obscure message board is EXACTLY like what occurred in 1776 and will no doubt have an immediate effect on …. well, I’m not sure what exactly.

Did you all know that every time imxploring posts yet another gripe about taxes an IRS agent earns his wings? LOL

(At least that’s the only theory I have at present as to why he continues to do that).[/quote]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.