Rental Car Advice

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Rental Car Advice

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    schlabra

I know this is an issue talked about in the past 🙄 but, this is the last step we need to do before we arrive in July. I have contacted numerous companies for quotes etc… the numbers vary greatly. Please help with the following:

1. Does my Chase/visa card “CDW” wavier work in CR?
    2. Does $1000.00(average)for 2 weeks seem normal?
    3. GPS needed?
    4. Phone needed?
    We plan to rent a small 4×4 suv(Jimmy).
    Any specific items to look out for? suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve from TEXAS

barbara ann

A GPS is extremely helpful if you are new here. we were lost lot. When we visited rental cars were very expensive. As far as a phone I don’t know if things have changed but phones from the states did not work here, we used a magic jack when we came here. You can buy cellphones pretty cheap and just buy minutes like a tracphone.

bogino
    Participant

The Visa CDW Waiver did work for me in the past but that was several (4 – 5) years ago.

The most important item of your 4 issues is the GPS question and to that I say a [b]Resounding YES[/b]. It is [b]EXTREMELY[/b] helpful (especially if you’re trying to navigate in and around San Jose). And one more thing to remember about GPS if your Spanish is not good. By default most rental car agencies GPS units are set to Spanish. Just make sure when you are picking up the car that the agent makes sure it is set to English because a lot of people overlook that and that can be a hassle.

I’ve always taken my Iphone and my provider is AT&T. It generally works well in Costa Rica depending on your location albeit calls to US are quite expensive. I only use for emergency and as an alternative to calling I text which is a [b]LOT[/b] less expensive.

[b]More more bit of advice re. car rental[/b]. When picking up the car and doing the walk around with the agent to inspect for any existing damages make sure you go over with a fine tooth comb and take pictures if needed with your phone camera. These guys will try to stick it to you if given the opportunity. After I returned my last rental (7 days) the agent found what was a [b]microscopic[/b] ding on the windshield which he “claimed” wasn’t there when I picked up the car. This little scratch/ding was [b]barely visible[/b] to the naked eye. In the U.S. we would simply “rub it out” at almost no cost using a windshield repair kit. This situation escalated to where they wanted t replace the entiire windshield at $1,300.00. They actually charged my credit card and I did battle with these people for 3 months before the charge was removed. The car rental company was a major U.S. company (Hint: begins with a “B”) and I had to work my way up to senior management in their corporate headquarters but at least got it resolved.

My Credit Card company does not cover you if you get off of a paved road. There are many, many gravel or worse roads in Costa Rica, so check with your Visa/MC people. As for GPS, in the Green season, it is sometimes thrown in as a bonus. I opted for adding CR Maps on my Garmin from Texas.

As for telephone, you can swap out your SIM card at the airport, purchase minutes for a very cheap operation within the country. Calling back home with Kohlbi is WAY cheaper than AT&T gouging you at about $3.00/minute and more. AT&T does have an almost secret–International Calling Card (not a real card–they call it “Virtual”)that is also a bargain for calls back and forth to the States.

The almost always, cheaper option to rental cars is cab rides and bus rides. MUSOC is comfortable and a great $7. ride across “The Mountains of Death” for 3 hours, if you are heading south.

Surf this website with the Search engine. You can find all kinds of options to expensive.

Kwhite1

[quote=”schlabra”]I know this is an issue talked about in the past 🙄 but, this is the last step we need to do before we arrive in July. I have contacted numerous companies for quotes etc… the numbers vary greatly. Please help with the following:

3. GPS needed?
    4. Phone needed?
    Any specific items to look out for? suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve from TEXAS[/quote]

Steve, check with Alamo Rental, I reserved a SUV July 1 for 10 days and was only $400+. It is cheaper to bring a GPS with you, most will charge $12-$20 a day for it, go to Best Buy and pick one up for $99, load CR into it and your done. Get the LDW at $12 a day, makes your deductible around $1000 should something happen. Good Luck

VictoriaLST

GPS is great here.

Insurance is $13.99 to 19.99 a day. If they try to charge you more, you are being targeted as a dumb tourist.

My favorite for rentals is Adobe. For a rental at the Liberia airport talk to Orlando at Adobe.

johnr

[quote=”schlabra”]I know this is an issue talked about in the past 🙄 but, this is the last step we need to do before we arrive in July. I have contacted numerous companies for quotes etc… the numbers vary greatly. Please help with the following:

3. GPS needed?
    4. Phone needed?

Steve from TEXAS[/quote]

1) Typically, however you need to check with Chase.
    2) No – that’s too much at this time of year.
    3) Yes it’s nice to have, however, do not expect all the roads you drive on to show up on GPS – even with the CR software.
    4) Yes – ATT will work damn near anywhere in CR. Otherwise just buy one when you get there with purchased minutes.

Have a great trip and Adobe in Liberia is a very good rental company.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.