Reality of living in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Reality of living in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    orcas0606
    Participant

Here is a link to one writers perspective on Costa Rica and Pura Vida. She expresses the reality of CR much better than I ever could……..

This comes from the Huffington Post.

[ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lindsay-hartfiel/costa-rica-letter_b_1720524.html ]

Andrew
    Keymaster

I like it too ‘orcas0606’…. It’s kind of like a love letter to Costa Rica.

“No place, no person is perfect…”

“Life is too short not to live it and love it…”

“Life is simple, stop complicating it…”

“So thank you, Costa Rica, for all of your beauty, kindness and mystery. I don’t have you figured out, but each time we meet I learn something new and unexpected. This isn’t goodbye, but merely “hasta lluego.”

[b]What part of her article do you feel is most important to you with regards to your experience living in Costa Rica?[/b]

Scott

costaricafinca
    Participant

Interesting article. Definitely pointing out, while you may like it, it isn’t for everyone.

watchdog

To sum-up the article, to be able to “make it” in Costa Rica as a foreigner, you have to be capable of environmental and cultural compromise. A well written article by a person who obviously has a knack for writing in a sensitive manner.

maravilla

it ain’t kansas, that’s for sure

orcas0606
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]it ain’t kansas, that’s for sure[/quote]

That is the reason I’m here. Kansas is kinda boring

sprite

Seems like most of her negative experiences had to with living at sea level in the tropics, not with Costa Rica as such…Maybe she would have avoided those negatives if she had spent more of her time in the mountains of the Central Valley.

Life is for learning, I suppose. So many North Americans dream of beaches and palm trees without really knowing about the other things that go with the “dream”… sand fleas, mosquitos, heat and humidity…especially the humidity.

2bncr

Ok Sprite – all that said while your avatar shows a photo of the beach! jajajajajajaaaa are you dreaming????

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”2bncr”]Ok Sprite – all that said while your avatar shows a photo of the beach! jajajajajajaaaa are you dreaming????[/quote]

[b]This Discussion Forum is open to anyone who who wants to know more about living and retirement in Costa Rica, whether they be U.S. armed forces personnel in Iraq or Afghanistan (Yes! We have a few) or, people like Sprite who are dreaming of living here once they arrange their affairs back home… And there are THOUSANDS of those who are VIP Members.[/b]

Scott

2bncr

???????

He was criticizing the beach and he has a picture of the beach as an avatar was my point…

sprite

[quote=”2bncr”]???????

He was criticizing the beach and he has a picture of the beach as an avatar was my point…[/quote]

Let that photo serve as my credentials regarding beach life.(it was taken at Big Pine Key)…I have lived in Miami and have sea kayaked the Florida Keys for 30 years now and I know about hot beach climates.

I grew up in the frozen mid west and couldn’t wait to get south. At first, the sub tropics are great..but after several hot summers, my youthful enthusiasm was diminished a bit. Today, I yearn for the perfect weather of the Central Valley and cringe when I read about new found joy at sea level in the tropics. I wonder how long that enthusiasm will last.

I spent a short time at the Costa Rican Pacific coast and immediately knew it was not for me. I went back up to cooler elevations of the Central Valley.

If you like to sweat and and lay about in the sun, go for for it! I guess it takes 4 or 5 years for northerners to thaw out. But there is a reason why places like Atenas are called the perfect climate by National Geographic and not places like Quepos.

2bncr

Avatars are usually representative or definitive in some (although maybe absurd at times) way – so your are not congruent with your avatar – that is the photo conflicts with the message…

I just found it amusing and thought I’d point it out. Is the skin thinning around here? Maybe its time for a round of camp fire song! What was that famous campfire tune?

sprite

[quote=”2bncr”]Avatars are usually representative or definitive in some (although maybe absurd at times) way – so your are not congruent with your avatar – that is the photo conflicts with the message…

I just found it amusing and thought I’d point it out. Is the skin thinning around here? Maybe its time for a round of camp fire song! What was that famous campfire tune?[/quote]

No worries, bud. I guess maybe I should change the avatar, huh? By the way, what is the connection with your avatar? Taoist? Buddhist?

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”orcas0606″it ain’t kansas, that’s for sure[/quote]

…getting back to the thread, “Living in Costa Rica”…
    Last I knew, earthquakes are now quite rare in Kansas.

**Simple construction system ‘offers quake protection’**
    A new technique for building low-cost houses in earthquake-prone areas has been successfully tested in Peru, and could be rolled out in any developing country with a seismic risk, according to researchers.
    The system consists of prefabricated steel bars in the form of trusses, triangular support structures, which are welded to each other to form grids that, in turn, form the walls and ceiling of a house — essentially forming a lightweight steel structural skeleton.
    These skeletons are then filled in with hollow brick or adobe, a building material made from clay, sand, water and natural fibres, which is used widely in house construction across the developing world, despite being highly vulnerable to earthquakes.
    The system “is not complicated at all, and any qualified construction worker could do it”, Francisco Ginocchio, a professor of civil engineering at the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru (PUCP), told SciDev.Net.
    It was tested at PUCP’s Anti-seismic Structure Laboratory, in collaboration with the Technical University of Madrid (UPM), between 2008 and 2011. Tests were carried out on two-storey buildings, some of them built at full scale, constructed using cheap local materials such as adobe and hollow brick.
    The results were published in the online journal Materiales de Construcción earlier this year.

maravilla

my house here was constructed in such a way that is is a literal iron birdcage surrounded by cement block. when there is an earthquake, the entire house moves as one unit. having lived through 4 or 5 huge earthquakes (one was a 9.2), i’ve seen the destruction that is wrought from normal construction techniques.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.