raising/keeping chickens in costa rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum raising/keeping chickens in costa rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mdpfeifer

Hi,
    I am just curious to know if anyone on the forum is raising or keeping chickens for eggs. If so, I would really appreciate any information on what breeds, predators, and any more information one would want to provide.

waggoner41

[quote=”mdpfeifer”]Hi,
    I am just curious to know if anyone on the forum is raising or keeping chickens for eggs. If so, I would really appreciate any information on what breeds, predators, and any more information one would want to provide.

We have chickens here for eggs and I think they are Rhode Island Reds. They are good layers with large eggs and are producing at a cost under the market.

When buying chickens in Costa Rica you have to go by what you know about chisken breeds and what they look like. They don’t specify breed.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We, too, raise them for eggs, and there is very little selection available, at least what is available commercially.
    Predators are coyotes, raccoons and snakes….
    We find that they provide eggs for approx. one year, so we purchase ‘day old chicks’ sporadically throughout the year.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Did you see the article ‘Costa Rica’s Chicken Whisperer Jessa York’ at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/Costa_Ricas_Chicken_Whisperer_Jessa_York.cfm ]

If you like, I can ask her if she would be willing to to communicate with you via email?

Scott

mdpfeifer

[quote=”Scott”]Did you see the article ‘Costa Rica’s Chicken Whisperer Jessa York’ at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/Costa_Ricas_Chicken_Whisperer_Jessa_York.cfm ]

If you like, I can ask her if she would be willing to to communicate with you via email?

Scott[/quote]
    Thanks so much Scott. I enjoyed the article. That would be awesome!!

markus
    Participant

Great subject. Rhode Island reds are good for eggs and meat. I am planning to raise chicken. Has anybody tried purchasing from the universities or agricultural schools? Sometimes they sell to local farmers.

waggoner41

[quote=”markus”]Great subject. Rhode Island reds are good for eggs and meat. I am planning to raise chicken. Has anybody tried purchasing from the universities or agricultural schools? Sometimes they sell to local farmers.[/quote]

If you are ging west toward Puriscal, I bought mine at the local agrocenter in Ciudad Colon. Headed toward San Jose, just past Pali on the right, turn left. The agrocenter is halfway down the block on the left.

They always have Rhode Island chicks and usually some layers.

There is always one that will sit the eggs so we hatch our own replacements and use the older ones for the table.

[quote=”markus”]Great subject. Rhode Island reds are good for eggs and meat. I am planning to raise chicken. Has anybody tried purchasing from the universities or agricultural schools? Sometimes they sell to local farmers.[/quote]

I know I pass either the agriculture school or an extension center of the University of Costa Rica as you drive on the road from Cartago into the Orosi Valley. I know you can see some the large animals out in the fields, but I really don’t know about chickens. If you drive out that way to check things out, make sure drive down the road a bit further to the Sanchiri Lodge for one of the best lunches and views in Costa Rica! The heart of palm salad and grilled Convina are to die for, the family owners and staff are wonderful people. I think they make their own ice cream also which is very good with a couple of scoops on their fresh fruit plate. Yum! For June I can hardly wait and last my eyes upon the Orosi Valley from their vantage point!

kordan

You can Buy them from MAG
    I bought black ones –they produce really well
    Some days I get 1 egg per chicken
    But you have to feed them both concentrate and hole corn kernals–and its best to let them free range at least part of the day

Versatile

Why does a chicken coop always have 2 doors?

Because if it had 4 doors it would be a chicken sedan.
    (I suppose 3 doors would make it a hatch-back.)

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Who let him in?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To prove to the opossum that it could be done.

Doug Ward

I have reds as ponedoras and a white variety for meat.They go from down feathers to the oven in about 8 weeks.
    They key to the ponedoras is vitamins in the water.They need more calcium than what the concentrado contains. Mine lay well for almost 3 years.
    I also do wabbitz, tilapia and pacu. The(future) cornish hens have a new cage as soon as da guapa Tica pulls them from her incubator.
    4 am. Almost time to go feed the pigs.
    Retirement. :roll::roll::roll:

Andrew
    Keymaster

This may be a silly question but what sort of temperatures do chickens which are available in Costa Rica tolerate?

I ask because a friend of mine lives close to cerro de la muerte where it regularly gets down to 50 degrees?

Scott

Versatile

We had Indian Rivers and White Legerons when i was a kid in 4H.
    They had no problem with below zero temps. Fifty degrees should be no problem.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.