Question on “Onward Travel”

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Question on “Onward Travel”

• This topic has 1 reply, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Vmc.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Vmc

Hi Everyone……Our tickets to Costa Rica are bought and paid for, but we’re having difficulty procuring “Onward Travel” proof from here, we plan to take a bus to Nicaragua for our first 72 hour “vacation” but are having problems……Question is, since we would have NO problem booking this once we’re on the ground, how will this play out with the airlines when we leave here, or get there if someone wants proof of onward travel.

My Brother who has traveled there a LOT tells me that it was always sufficient for HIM to declare upon entry that he was going to travel by bus or whatever, and that he had a plan for onward travel, but I don’t know if that would suffice today.

can anyone shed some light on this for us?

…Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Dan.

costaricabill
    Participant

In all probability you will be denied boarding your flight to CR, as it is the airline who has the first obligation to make sure you have scheduled and purchased “onward travel”. If you get on your flight, then you also must hope that migracion passes you through. If not, you get a free ride back courtesy of the airline that brought you there.
    I don’t know your departure city in the US, but one thing that people have done in the past is to purchase a full fare, 100% refundable airline ticket returning in say, 80-85 days.
    Then, after you get there and get settled you can cancel the ticket(s) for a full refund. Your next worry is to not overstay your 90 days, but if you do make sure to get your CR drivers license!

maravilla

without that outward bound tickt on plane, train, or bus you may not get a 90 day stamp in the passport.

Vmc

[quote=”maravilla”]without that outward bound tickt on plane, train, or bus you may not get a 90 day stamp in the passport.[/quote]

We found passage on Tica bus (I think that’s what Trish called it), but have to reserve on phone….will be calling them tomorrow….dammit, I want to GET there………LOL

Vmc

Just an update…..We got tickets through http://www.costaricabustuckets.com “A Safe Passage” is the company name…they were excellent and got everything done for us, they can operate on the fly if you are in a pinch at the airport or wherever.

So far so good!

Pura Vida!

jultes

[quote=”maravilla”]without that outward bound tickt on plane, train, or bus you may not get a 90 day stamp in the passport.[/quote]
    I would like to live in CR permanently. I have been reading that immigration may not always let you back in. Is this common? It kinda worries me as I have pets I need to leave
    in he country when I leave after a 90 day period.

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]jultes[/b] if you haven’t applied for Residency, it is quite possible that you will one day be denied entry. Or even issue you a 5 day visa.
    According to an article on [url=http://www.amcostarica.com/032712.htm]amcostarica[/url] the new rules will [i]most likely[/i] address ‘perpetual tourists’ and may be published on Mon 15th April

maravilla

yes, that is something to worry about and why getting residency is so important here. if you are not legal, you are at the mercy of la migra when you try to get back in. it’s just not worth the risk if you have pets or own property.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I think it important to understand that when someone is granted a 90-day visa, or any other visa, that is at the discretion of the government and the individual officer who is to issue the visa. No person who is not a Costa Rican citizen has an explicit right to enter Costa Rica. For non-citizens (aliens), that is a privilege that must be granted to them by the legitimate authority, the Ministry of Immigration and its officers.

Costa Rican law defines those conditions under which persons who are not Costa Rican citizens may enter and remain long-term in the country. To do so, one must qualify for and apply for legal residency (most commonly [i]pensionado[/i] or [i]rentista[/i]) and that application must be approved by Immigration. Until one’s application for legal residency is granted, s/he has no legal right to enter or remain in Costa Rica.

Those who play the “perpetual tourist” game do so at considerable risk. At any time, they may be apprehended, held and deported and they have virtually no legal protections. Likewise, should they leave the country, they have no legal guarantee of being readmitted. Should their readmission be denied, what will become of their assets here? And what of the pets?

In those cases where a person does not or cannot qualify for legal residency, the options are basically two: Either play the “perpetual tourist” game and take your chances or find another country to live in.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.