Puntarenas Rental

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Puntarenas Rental

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Micky

I would like to come in Puntarenas in may 2010, and to rent 1 bedroom even a bachelor in the city of Puntarenas. what could be the minimum price to get that.
    Do you know the cost of living,in Puntarenas. I mean to buy the food from the market and to cook by myself. How much I should spend per week ?
    Could someone to let me know ?

Andrew
    Keymaster

The is a very BROAD question.

One bedroom home?

One bedroom apartment?

Vegetarian? Or do you love fillet mignon and a good bottle of wine every night?

I’m sure you could find a very basic 1 bedroom home for rent in Puntarenas for $200 per month as I’m also sure you could find one for $1,500 per month…

Good luck with your search.

Scott

grb1063

Have you ever been to Puntarenas?
    It is a very seedy port city with higher crime, home to numerous fish canneries and a prison. The primary reason people go there is to catch the ferries to the Nicoya Peninsula.

maravilla

i was just there a few weeks ago to get fish. we all remarked, “why would anyone live here?” it is the hottest place i have ever been to! murderously hot and humid, so make sure you rent a place with a/c!

Micky

Many thanks everyone answered to me ! 😀
    I enjoyed so much, people trying to help another.

I need 1 bedroom in an apartament building. What could be the price per month.(hydro and water are they usually included or are extra ?

Regarding the food, I don’t have special pretentions, I prefer regular food bought from the market, no specialities, not too much wine, at all.

Like city, I prefer the pacific coast, where I could rent 1 bedroom from the local people, so, not just an exclusive resort, with no local costarican apartments.I would like a city half touristic, half with locals, where there is a market to buy the food at a minimum price.
    Could I have your good opinion regarding such a city ?

———————————————————-

maravilla

have you ever been to the pacific coast? it doesn’t sound like it to me, and even though i have not been to all of the beach communities, i have not seen what you are describing in the ones i have visited. Ticos don’t generally live in apartment houses in beach communities. they generally live in little houses that many of us would never live in. the places i have visited — jaco, puntarenas, quepos, manuel antonio — those are largely tourist areas, but with a seedy side in that there seems to be a lot of drugs and hookers in those places. the only apartment houses i’ve ever seen were built for gringos. in all of those places there seems to be a lot of crime, at least more than what we see in some of the quiet communities in the central valley. food on the beach side is far more expensive than in other places. the locals have been priced out of these areas, so i don’t know if you will find what you are looking for esp since you didn’t list what your budget is. we have friends who just moved to the beach, but they are paying $1200 a month to live within a 5 minute walk to the ocean. one woman i know who has been living in jaco, told me that she and her husband spend $500 a month for food there because everything is more expensive. i think you need to come and see for yourself. i have seen some modest apartments in puntarenas, but the people milling around those places didn’t look like people i would want as neighbors.

grb1063

Micky. Check for yourself, but Puntarenas, overall is my least favorite city in Costa Rica, but the most convenient way to get to the Nicoya Peninsula via ferry. If you are looking for a “city” with a “local” flavor and quick access to the Pacific try Nicoya or San Isidro further south.

happygirl

[quote=”grb1063″]Micky. Check for yourself, but Puntarenas, overall is my least favorite city in Costa Rica, but the most convenient way to get to the Nicoya Peninsula via ferry. If you are looking for a “city” with a “local” flavor and quick access to the Pacific try Nicoya or San Isidro further south.[/quote]

Thank goodness none of the above people like Puntarenas. Let them stay in Jaco or San Ramon!

maravilla

hey, puntarenas is great for some things. what i like most about the place is the funky architecture and how all the bars are open at 9 a.m. and filled with grizzly old gringos getting sloshed for breakfast. the other best thing is to walk along the malecon when the cruise ships dock and watch the fat gringos waddle off the boats with the guys wearing no shirts and their bellies hanging out, and the plus-sized women wearing halter tops and short shorts which they should’ve stopped wearing 30 years ago. it’s a real freak show! ya gotta love puntarenas for those things, but especially for the fresh fish and shrimp!

ticorealtor

Mick,I might be able to help. My wifes cousin lives their and they might have a room to rent. Give me a shout if you are interested.

happygirl

[quote=”maravilla”]hey, puntarenas is great for some things. what i like most about the place is the funky architecture and how all the bars are open at 9 a.m. and filled with grizzly old gringos getting sloshed for breakfast. the other best thing is to walk along the malecon when the cruise ships dock and watch the fat gringos waddle off the boats with the guys wearing no shirts and their bellies hanging out, and the plus-sized women wearing halter tops and short shorts which they should’ve stopped wearing 30 years ago. it’s a real freak show! ya gotta love puntarenas for those things, but especially for the fresh fish and shrimp![/quote]

To each their own!

grb1063

Maraviila just pegged the typical middle/southern American cruise ship tourist!

Micky

Thanks a lot to everybody: grb1063,maravilla,happy girl,ticorealtor- for the information and real good explanations about what I’m looking for-:lol:.

I’ll review all these options, and I’ll come back shortly on the website.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.