Property value website?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Property value website?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chuckrobin

Does anyone know if there is a website where you can find out what the value of your house and property is listed for on the government books?

Some people say they put it on the tax bill sometimes but mine do not show it. Thanks

Andrew
    Keymaster

The [url=http://www.registronacional.go.cr/]Registro Nacional website[/url] will have a ‘value’ allotted to your property’s [i]folio real[/i] but this is often totally meaningless for market value.

chuckrobin

Thank You Scott, Once I go into the registry, do you know what subsections I need to go under to find that out. I am trying to determine if I have enough value to get my investor residency with my house. thanks again

Andrew
    Keymaster

You will need to understand Spanish as this is 100% Spanish website and they now charge for certain information so you may have to subscribe and then pay (it’s a a pitifully small amount) to access the data you want.

If you are considering residency in Costa Rica, if I were you, I would ask our [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/5-Reasons-Why-Laura-Gutierrez-Will-Get-Your-Costa-Rica-Residency-Approved-Quicker-And-More-Efficiently-Than-Any-Attorney.cfm]Residency Expert Laura Gutierrez[/url] to look into it for you.

Scott

chuckrobin

Laura is already handling my residency paperwork but I have to obtain this information however from your information this morning I was able to see some information but i don’t think what they have matches up to what tax I am paying each year on my house. Thanks again, Scott

BillNew
    Participant

It’s just a math problem …

Take your property tax amount and divide it by the tax rate …

If the tax rate is .25% and your tax bill is 50,000 CRC …

50000 / .0025 = 20,000,000 CRC

Take care,

Bill

chuckrobin

Thanks Bill, My tax on my house is roughly $392.00 per year but the colones does not work. The colone on the books was before my house was built I believe. Does anyone know what a tax of that amount would equate to as for as a value. Is it over $200,000 or am I under. Thanks

BillNew
    Participant

Unless you are above the threshold where the luxury tax would apply, my understanding is that the general property tax rate is 0.25% and is payable to the local canton. Based on your tax amount, I would estimate that your property is on the books for $156,800.

There can be a huge disparity between the “fiscal value” that your Notario used for the purpose of property transfer and the actual sales price (although there is not supposed to be).

This difference can save you a lot of money in property taxes but sort of robs the govt coffers.

You do realize that if you go this route, your “in country” requirement will be 6 months instead of 1 day. Life can sometimes be unpredictable.

Take care,

Bill

chuckrobin

Thanks for the information,Bill

BillNew
    Participant

No problem …

Maybe Scott will chime in and let us know if he agrees …

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.