Plumbing issues & disposal of toilet paper!

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Plumbing issues & disposal of toilet paper!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    NancyRoman

My husband and I are considering visiting for a few months to see if we can possible live there.

I have heard that there are some plumbing issues and when one uses the restroom the toilet paper is put in a trash can and not flushed down the toilet. I can maybe understand that for older homes, but is it so in the newer homes and condos?:?:

[quote=”NancyRoman”]My husband and I are considering visiting for a few months to see if we can possible live there.

I have heard that there are some plumbing issues and when one uses the restroom the toilet paper is put in a trash can and not flushed down the toilet. I can maybe understand that for older homes, but is it so in the newer homes and condos?:?:[/quote]

This is true. Paper is put in trash. They use 3-inch pipe rather than 6-inch pipe.

But more important was the scam or dishonesty of my landlady . . / and the dept of health didn’t give a damn. I had to pay the water for TWO houses the landlady owned There was no connection for water to the second house. There was also no septic tank. Dept of Health didn’t care, The realtors trying to sell the house were also uncaring and dishonest. Be careful.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”NancyRoman”]My husband and I are considering visiting for a few months to see if we can possible live there.

I have heard that there are some plumbing issues and when one uses the restroom the toilet paper is put in a trash can and not flushed down the toilet. I can maybe understand that for older homes, but is it so in the newer homes and condos?:?:[/quote]

This is true in some areas of the country, it certainly is NOT true for all of Costa Rica and as you correctly assume, it is certainly NOT the case in newer homes and condos or any of the dozen or so homes I have lived in during my 13 years of living in this beautiful little country…

barbara ann

check to see the size of your field, they typically put them in for mice depending on the size of your lot. so most places recommend toilet paper be placed in the trash can, also when you are traveling take some toilet paper with you. I cannot count the times toilet paper was not in the womens bathroom in gas stations, hand sanitizer too. sometimes no soap.

lvc1028

The vast majority of houses we have rented or hotels we’ve stayed in, have said to place all toilet paper in the trash can… and this was regardless of the age of the building. It does sound a little gross, but you get used to it. I’m sure there are places that allow toilet paper in the toilet, but I have found that to be the exception and not the rule (and that includes restaurants). Plenty of things to get used to when in Costa Rica…

costaricafinca
    Participant

It really is important to follow these instructions if posted in a public facility or in someone’s home.
    Newer homes [u]may[/u] have larger pipes… but they [u]may[/u] not.

Your toilet paper can turn into fine compose for your garden if you are so inclined. Otherwise you can continue to always trust the compose of the animals of strangers you never met!

NancyRoman

Thank you so kindly. I appreciate your input. I will play it safe and carry toilet paper and soap.

VictoriaLST

Putting some of that paper in the trash can be so amazingly gross………

My house is plumbed for flushing TP. Some public facilities, especially in older restaurants, are not. Follow the directions posted in restrooms. It it’s not posted, flush away.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Even at many new restaurants, a large receptacle, placed next to the toilet will let you know, whether you are expected to ‘flush or not’. Plus, you may not be able to read their requirements.
    At a private residence, there will not be a sign…so, don’t let your desire to ‘flush’, cause their sewer line to back up….:roll:

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”NancyRoman”]Thank you so kindly. I appreciate your input. I will play it safe and carry toilet paper and soap.[/quote]

Not to belabor the subject of personal disposal needs, but in some towns the public facilities [Grecia, por ejemplo]often has a person standing outside who, for a few colones, will sell you sheets of toilet paper. Still, best to carry a small packet of tissues.
    (funny, this type of intimate advice to visitors is otherwise hard to come by except in a forum like this):wink:

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”NancyRoman”]Thank you so kindly. I appreciate your input. I will play it safe and carry toilet paper and soap.
    [/quote]

Good input for your output!

The problem is not necessarily a narrow pipe, it is also the toilet itself which has a very small hole in the bottom where it sits on the pipe. The hole is only about 2 inches and in order to flush “larger items” plus toilet paper, it needs several flushes in between. If someone here knows about toilets with larger bottom holes, let me know.
    Another problem can be that people love to landscape and plant trees and other plants too close to the septic pipes and tanks. Roots can grow into the pipes and plug them. We just paid a company $ 600 to clean a whole septic system at a friends house. The tank was not even half full (after 15 years!) and the drain field was o.k. but tiny little roots somehow got into the pipes and, together with toilet paper, plugged them over time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.