Planning our move to Costa Rica – Questions

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Planning our move to Costa Rica – Questions

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    2bncr

Lot of good info here. I’ll add this – if you build with block rather than galvanized studs and fiberglass sheeting you are nuts. I have done both and the quality of fiberglass is superior and goes up way faster. IMPORTANT – doll out the extra money for rolled fiberglass insulation. Comparatively expensive here but worth every colon.

Imxploring
    Participant

Can you give us some ideas as to why one is superior other than the speed of construction? I know the cost of block construction is higher but I’d like to hear your input on the pros and cons to both.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We have used both methods in the past.
    The problem with the steel and fiberglass exterior is that is much easier to break through the exterior walls…

sstarkey

[quote=”Imxploring”]Can you give us some ideas as to why one is superior other than the speed of construction? I know the cost of block construction is higher but I’d like to hear your input on the pros and cons to both.[/quote]

I built my home using lightweight galvanized steel frame, built by this company: http://www.frame.cr The site’s “Technology” section lays out many of the advantages of this type of construction, particularly in respect to CR’s climate and seismic considerations. Hopefully this is helpful.

Other than that, concrete block is not a terrible option. All of the builders know how to do it, and as long as they don’t cheap out on the Rebar and Cement, the home should, at least, hold up well. I personally never considered using block once I found a reputable steel-frame builder, and having rented 3 different block homes, I found them damp and musty in rainy season, (mold being a big problem), and very hot and expensive to cool b/c the block holds heat. Of course insulation and weatherproofing would have helped but unfortunately, the owners cheaped-out on those elements and now are paying the price.

You will run across builders down here who are invested in the old ways and will toss out all sorts of reasons why galvanized steel is bad. BTW, generally SIPS are made with galvanized steel, so this isn’t just about the steel stud method I used. For instance, one builder told my friends, who just broke ground, that their steel frame home would certainly rust away. (Apparently that builder has never seen what a piece of normal Rebar looks like after a few years exposed to the elements). The key, in either case, is of course properly sealing the home. Another builder claims steel frame homes are “very expensive to finish”. Again, HUH? If by expensive, he means installing insulation, (there are many types, not just fiberglass rolls), builder paper, wire mesh, concrete stucco (exterior) and drywall…well this is pretty much the same finish procedure you would perform on a properly constructed basic block home.

Bottom line, keep doing your homework – you have several good construction method choices down here – the most important thing is finding a reputable builder.

sstarkey

In response to CRFinca’s comment about it being easy to break through steel / fiberglass walls:

This depends again, on what layers are used on the walls.

When my Wifi installer had to drill through my wall to run the cable to the Wifi dish on my roof, he told me he had never seen such a well-constructed home, and he HATED having to drill through it, (required quite a huge drill bit BTW), because he didn’t want to breach such a nicely built wall! 🙂

My walls have: Steel studs, 3″ styrofoam insulation, reflective sheeting, (for additional insulating properties), builder paper, wire mesh and concrete stucco. Some sections of the exterior are finished with Plycem and others with hand-cut stone. Nobody’s going to find it easy to cut through these babies. 😆

BTW, I could do it again, I’d trade the reflective paper and styrofoam for PolyIso boards (which is what my builder is now using) which combine elements of both. Faster and easier to install, and same insulating properties.

sstarkey, who was your builder?
    did you present the builder with plans?
    any idea of what your square footage cost was?

sstarkey

[quote=”lillianwickram”]sstarkey, who was your builder?
    did you present the builder with plans?
    any idea of what your square footage cost was?
    [/quote]

Hi Lillian. My builder was Frame Projects – http://www.frame.cr My home is shown on their Projects page – Casa Rio. I had my own plans, but they have an in-house architect should you need one.

Feel free to send me a PM with more questions!

Wow! Absolutely gorgeous. It’s very similar to what I have in mind. I love the blend of being a little modern, but all of the use of wood and stone so it also looks very organic. Stunning:)

johnnyh

Hi Lillian:
    Thanks for pointing out your house. Had to look up Playa Conchal on Google maps, which leads me to ask if the same materials would be used on a future house in the Caribbean side of Costa Rica, say towards the Puerto Viejo Manzanillo area where the humidity is higher?

costaricafinca
    Participant

sstarky…a beautiful house!

Aren’t you [i]required[/i] to use an accredited CR architect from the College of Architects, and that plans from elsewhere couldn’t/wouldn’t be honored? Or did they just ‘finalize your design’ and translate it into Spanish?

Although I mentioned that it could be easier to enter a steel framed home, I should have said that we loved the one that we built, although not a ‘fancy’ as yours. 8)

sstarkey

[quote=”costaricafinca”]sstarky…a beautiful house!

Aren’t you [i]required[/i] to use an accredited CR architect from the College of Architects, and that plans from elsewhere couldn’t/wouldn’t be honored? Or did they just ‘finalize your design’ and translate it into Spanish?

Although I mentioned that it could be easier to enter a steel framed home, I should have said that we loved the one that we built, although not a ‘fancy’ as yours. 8)[/quote]

Sorry – when I said I had my own plans, I meant I had a local architect design the home rather than the builder’s own architect. The 3 of us worked closely together throughout the process to get everything right. In any case, anyone can bring their own plans from anywhere – but the CFIA does have to approve them in order to get a permit.

Glad you liked your steel framed home 🙂 and let’s hope nobody busts through anyone’s walls 😀

sstarkey

[quote=”johnnyh”]Hi Lillian:
    Thanks for pointing out your house. Had to look up Playa Conchal on Google maps, which leads me to ask if the same materials would be used on a future house in the Caribbean side of Costa Rica, say towards the Puerto Viejo Manzanillo area where the humidity is higher?[/quote]

Hi Johnny, I think your message was for me (it’s my house in Conchal). Yes, the same materials could be used on the Caribbean side – one of the advantages of this structure is minimizing effects of humidity. Again, insulation & weatherproofing are key.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”Duth”]Everything you’ve been reading are lies.[/quote]

Everything you’ve been reading [b]about what[/b] is lies ‘Duth’ ?????

VictoriaT

We have friends who have purchased and renovated Tico homes for far less than you budget and they love them. We have friends who have had homes both “stick built” and “factory built” and they love them as well. The factory homes come in much less $100 a sq. ft.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.