Pets in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Pets in Costa Rica

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jasman

I’ve read lots of posts by people asking about moving pets to Costa Rica, but I would rather get my pets after I move there. Are there pet shops, animal shelters, etc., where one could find pets to adopt? What kinds of pets are available? Dogs, cats, ferrets, gerbils, hamsters, mice, rats, snakes, tropical fish, tarantulas, etc., are all of interest to me. I would absolutely love to find a good German Shepard, Rottweiler or Doberman to accompany me on my walks. Between that and my cane, I would expect to have very few problems with petty crime. What pick-pocket would bother someone with an “attack dog” at his side? Sic em, Killer!

nomad

There is an Animal shelter in Heredia with many dogs for adoption, spayed, neutered with shots. Email: refugio@infoweb.co.cr and website is http://www.animalsheltercostarica.com, tel. (506) 267-7158. I have visited the shelter, it is clean and has a very nice English speaking lady at the front counter.

Good Luck,

nomad

jasman

Thanks, nomad, I checked that site and it does look like a well-run place. When the time comes, I’ll definitely check there first.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I have rescued many, many dogs here in Costa Rica and after running out of friends and associates willing to adopt a ‘friends’- I have taken dozens of them to this shelter.

They are lovely people and try really hard to do their best for the animals.

If you ever have any spare cash lying around, givbe it to them PLEASE!

Scott

jasman

I will, Scott. I just read the story about Pepito, and I nearly cried! People can be so horrible!

The shelter is definitely getting my support!

Edited on Mar 12, 2006 17:06

Re

Hi Scott, This is off of the dog topic but is pet realted ! I hope to move my parrots there when I come and am wondering if there are parrot shops or places where I can buy really large cages for them…I’m wondering if many people have pet parrots there…hoping to get a place out of larger towns so they can live outside most of the time but cages are necessary..also feed and etc…would you happen to know anything about this? thanks if you do, Cathy

Andrew
    Keymaster

I have seen massive bird cages in many different places and you will find it easy to have that kind of stuff made to order down here …

A friend of mine who is a professional real estate agent rescues and raises various birds and I’m sure he will be able to help you.

Scott

Re

Hi Scott, thanks for your reply! Could you check with your friend and see if he would be able to talk via email? I will be looking for a house to buy so he could possibly help me there too! Thanks, Cathy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.