Petroleum Products in CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Petroleum Products in CR

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Where to buy petroleum products in CR

Gas rationing in the 80’s worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us!

The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor.

An interesting thought is to boycott their PETROLEUM PRODUCTS.
    Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Only buy from companies that don’t import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which companies are the best to buy oil from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies Import Middle Eastern Oil:

Shell……………………..205,742,000 barrels
    Chevron/Texaco………144,332,000 barrels
    Exxon /Mobil…………..130,082,000 barrels
    Marathon/Speedway…117,740,000 barrels
    Amoco……………………..62,231,000 barrels

Citgo is from Venzuela, and Hugo Chaves, that countries Dictator, hates Americans.

Do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (Oil is now $90-$95 a barrel)

Here are some large companies that
    DO NOT import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco……………. 0 barrels
    Conoco……………. 0 barrels
    Sinclair……………. 0 barrels
    BP/Phillips……….. 0 barrels
    Hess……………….. 0 barrels
    ARC0……………….. 0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

bradbard

This doesn’t sound like you

This is probably some patriotic email chain letter you received

The Bush administration fabricated and lied so that Iraq was attacked after 9/11 – a country that had NOTHING to do with 9/11 when the majority of the hijackers were allegedly from Saudi Arabia. We should have attached Saudia Arabia then not Iraq – Don’t you think?

I think you’ll find that the definition of a dictator fits the President we have in the USA much more than Hugo Chavez who is using oil to help his people rather than GWB who is stealing other people’s oil to benefit the oil companies and he obviously doesn’t give a s*** about the American people.

Andrew
    Keymaster

You are a fascinating human being bradbard

Why don’t you tell us something about yourself?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

You are correct. From now on, I’m looking for Sunoco, Conoco, Sinclair, BP/Phillips, Hess or ARC0 stations and will avoid Shell, Chevron/Texaco, Exxon /Mobil, Marathon/Speedway or Amoco.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Which ones do we have here in Costa Rica?

rebaragon

Although things may have changed since the last time I spoke with people from RECOPE a few years ago, I believe RECOPE is by law (although this will probably change now that CAFTA has been approved) the one that buys crude petroleum and refines it for CR use. This is a nationalized situation like insurance and part of banking in CR and whatever private companies may exist, they must purchase the final petroleum product from RECOPE so the question would be, who does RECOPE import their oil from? I assumed Venezuela would be at the top of the list and according to this report regarding their 2004 imports by country of origin it certainly was back then, but RECOPE has not made any more info available based on country of origin since 2004–

Hmm…I’m sure it’s part of their annual reports, but not something they’re looking to boast about, maybe because there’s been a change, maybe because another country might get slightly mift at CR or it just may be that they haven’t gotten around to creating this type of report in the last 3-4 yrs—Who knows…

Here’s the link to see the 2004 info:

http://www.recope.go.cr/transparencia/red_tranparencia/Comercio-POSTER.pdf

Peg

I agree with Bardbard on this one. GWB and his cabinet lied to the American people 935 times just in the 2 years following 9/11, which have all been proven. The Saudis are his buddies, I wouldn’t be suprised if he’s getting some kind of kick-back from them or the oil companies.
    I have been using only Hess and Sunoco in the US for years, because they don’t use midde east gas.

Alfred

crhomebuilder, I have seen that listing of oil companies, as many others have in the US. Unfortunately it didn’t do much. I even had a copy on my desk. We have short memories here, and I too stopped buying gas at most of those after a period of time. I still do avoid Citgo, and have purchased there only once in the past year.

I did here a story of a Citgo station in the Bronx, New York being boycotted out of business. It was the only one I have ever heard, and I’m sure it didn’t make the news.

Oil/energy independence is the only answer for countries in general. Relying on imports has weakened the US’s ability to think rationally. We also are our own worst enemy. By driving vehicles that consume large quantities of fuel, we will remain dependent. A combination of fuel efficient vehicles, conservation, and us having a native source of energy for the vehicles we drive, will give us the control we need. By control, I mean the ability to control our destiny. We should not be beholding to foreign entities for the supply of the commodity which directly affects all of our citizens.

sprite

I also go along with Bardbard on tis one. Besides, we now live in a world economy. Corporations no longer restrict themselves to national borders and even less to political or religious goals unless there is clear profit in them. Regards Chavez, so far, he is acting just as a Venezuelan president SHOULD act and it is about time that that country had such a man in charge. The Venezuelan petroleum industry is at least not oriented to profit a few rich capitalists. It has more noble goals.

grb1063

Amoco is owned by BP and has been for over a decade.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.