Perpetual Tourist For A Year

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Perpetual Tourist For A Year

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    costaricafinca
    Participant

We have, as I stated in my previous post!
    Last April we flew Continental to Florida. When we went to the airport for our return leg, we were ‘questioned’ by the agent, about returning. After she a lengthy discussion with someone in a back room, we were told, everything was fine.
    Four of the 7 of the people stated in this same post above, were legal residents, and had to purchase another ticket.

laika

So, when these airline clerks indicate that residency would be the answer to my problems, they don’t really mean it? Or, more likely, airline clerks don’t know what they’re talking about and treatment is arbitrary depending upon the clerk and his/her understanding? We’re waiting on residency and I was hoping that it would solve the issue. I’ll be damned if I’m going to buy a useless return ticket when I’m a Costa Rican resident. Homeland security has got to be lurking behind every obstacle, or am I being over-paranoid again?

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”laika”]So, when these airline clerks indicate that residency would be the answer to my problems, they don’t really mean it? Or, more likely, airline clerks don’t know what they’re talking about and treatment is arbitrary depending upon the clerk and his/her understanding? We’re waiting on residency and I was hoping that it would solve the issue. I’ll be damned if I’m going to buy a useless return ticket when I’m a Costa Rican resident. Homeland security has got to be lurking behind every obstacle, or am I being over-paranoid again?[/quote]

Just because I’m paranoid doesn’t mean that they’re not out to get me!” 🙄

mshasta

I leave in 11 days on a one-way ticket flying U.S. Airways from LAX, I’ll let you know how it goes and if I get questioned and how I get around it 🙂

mshasta

I flew out of LAX on a 1-way ticket to PHX Arizona and was questioned at the terminal counter on my way to SJO Costa Rica. I was forced to buy a return ticket from U.S. Airways because they said they could be fined so I bought a fully refundable ticket and returned it by phone a couple days later. They tell you exactly how to get around it so it wasn’t really a problem.:D

caliskatari
    Participant

So, to best get around this problem would be too either:

– Purchase a bus ticket to Nicaragua or Panama as proof that you will leave the country (will this work?)

– Purchase a REFUNDABLE airline ticket, and just get you money back once your in Costa Rica.

Sounds fair to me. As long as there’s a Loop Hole I wont complain!

maravilla

so mshasta, you don’t have legal residency, is that it? i flew down on a one-way in january and when i checked in at the airlines, i gave them both my passport and cedula. nobody said a thing about the one-way.

caliskatari
    Participant

FYI – I own a business. Its completly legal to do so in Costa Rica. The work I refer to doing is the work my company, and my workers, are doing – and not my actual self. So if anyone wants to say I am partaking in “illegal work”, get your facts straight.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Forgive me – I have just deleted a number of postings in this Forum which were getting a little ‘hot under the collar.’

I would ask you all to remember that we’re here as part of a growing community of like minded people who (for the most part) are trying to help each other live a good life in Costa Rica.

This thread is now closed.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.