Pensionado for couple

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Pensionado for couple

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jasman

Hello, all.

I have a somewhat interesting question. I have recently become romantically involved with a lady, a few years older than myself, who receives Social Security, both based upon her own work history, plus survivor benefit from her late husband. Altogether, she is receiving $1500 per month. Would that cover the Pensionado requirement for the two of us? We are not married. Would it cover the Pensionado requirement for both of us if we WERE married?

I’ve never seen this specific issue addressed on any of the forums, so I’m curious.

Thanks,

John S.

Edited to add: I get the impression that she would lose the survivor benefit if she were to re-marry, so we’re trying to avoid that option, if possible

Edited on May 31, 2006 02:37

Andrew
    Keymaster

You do need to speak with a qualified immigration attorney but it’s my understanding that ‘if’ you were married, the US$1,500 monthly income would be quite sufficient to qualify but, if you were NOT married, that would not help at all.

You might want to see attorney Roger Petersen’s recent article to verify the facts which you can find at:

Scott

maravilla

Yes, she would lose her survivor’s benefits if you were to marry. The amount is sufficient for pensionado status for the two of you, but you would have to be married, but if you were married and she lost those benefits then perhaps she wouldn’t have the requisite income to qualify for pensionado status for herself, much less the two of you. In a married couple, he who has the majority of income is the person who applies for pensionado status, and the other person becomes the “dependent.” I know. I just went through this, and it was my income that qualified us (although my husband has income too) so the application was in my name and my husband was added as a dependent. But yes, as Scott suggested, you need to speak to an immigration lawyer. My advice is based on recent personal experience.

dhsbooker

John,
    Fortunatly, under the new laws for reisidency nothing for the pensionado status has changed, as far as I am aware. A married couple only needs a minimum of $600.00 a month to qualify. Since my husband will have the income from social security and I will have nothing, I would be his dependant. The only other thing that comes to mind is how long would you have to be married? I’m not sure that it would make a diffenece, but you may want to look into that if you tie the knot!

I’m trying to figure something out, Jasmine. I was under a completely different impression and so just called social security. I’m 60 years old and collecting survivor benefits. When I start collecting on my own record (higher benefits than on his), I’ll completely lose survivor benefits. This is what has been told to me now three times (I’ll collect only on the higher record). I don’t understand how your friend is collecting both. Can you please explain this? Thank you!

Edited on Jun 05, 2006 09:25

jasman

OK,it turns out I mis-understood her. The $1500 per month she is getting is survivor benefit only. We’re really just getting to know each other at this point!

By the way, it’s jasman (my initials are J.A.S. and I am a MAN), not “jasmine.”

Sorry, Jazzy! :))) Okay, Jasman. I figured you were male; I guess I just got into the rut of typing what I usually type. My bad.

Thank you for the info; I was really hoping you knew something I didn’t. I can’t tell you how many different answers I often get to the same question when I call Social Security; that’s why I generally call more than once to see if the second is the same as the first.

jasman

Good idea. Whenever you deal with the govt, it’s a good idea to get a second opinion (third, fourth, fifth, etc.) 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.