Pavones where is it???

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Pavones where is it???

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    terrycook

I am planning a 3-6 month trip this summer (maybe residency) and wish as one of my places to look is Pavones. I am looking a Scotts new fancy and wonderful map which I just received and it shows Pavones as a small town south east of San Jose near Turrialba and that IS where I want to go. Actually there or next door at La Suiza. But when I go to google and look for possible hostel or hotels all I find is another Pavones which is a HUGE site and beach surfing place on the west coast. What is the deal. does anybody know about the sleepy Pavones mention above?
    HELP
    Terry From Texas

genn789

Pavones Cartago Costa Rica: 9º54’11.07″ N 83º37’22.35″ O

terrycook

thanks genn789 I already know that what I was asking for was more information about the place as the only thing on google is the Beach site.
    Terry From Texas

rf2cr
    Participant

Terry from Texas –

Don’t remember a Pavones near Turrialba but La Suiza and the whole area is beautiful, it was our first choice until we visited the Arenal area and made our final decision to settle there. If you can afford to – stay at Casa Turrire at least one night, we used it as a base for a few days and LOVED it. (It is not cheap, but this one of those magical places you get what you pay for.)
    Have a great trip and have fun.
    Ruth

DENISE

On our 1st visit to CR, we traveled to the Pavones near the border….southern border…..wow….talk about sleepy…..it was gorgeous but definitly the surfing town….which was fine for my husband and son….it was a bit too undeveloped for my taste…but gorgeous with beaches to die for….

terrycook

Thank you for the replies. As I said Pavones on Scotts new fancy map is map grid I 15 smack in the middle of the country… and you could not surf there if you had too. That is my dilemma, like you all I can find is the beach place not the one near Turrialba South East of San Jose. Confusing isn’t it?
    thanks
    Terry From Texas

Edited on May 17, 2007 07:47

Peg

There is a Pavones just east of Turrialba, and there is another Pavones just south of San Isidro De General. Both are inland so no surfing there. however Dominical is not far from San Isidro. There is a De Pavon just above Panama which is a big surfing area.

terrycook

Thank you and the one just east of Turrialbaq is the one I am trying to get imput on…Can not find anything on Goggle or anywhere else..maybe someone can point me to a site to get me started…
    thanks so much
    Terry From Texas

rf2cr
    Participant

Terry,

Just checked my map, Pavones is on the road from Turrialba to Siquirres and we travelled that road numerous times when we were staying in the area. I really cannot remember Pavones as anything much more than a few houses along the main road. I am sure there is more of the town down on the flat but I seriously doubt that there is a hotel or B&B there, you might halve to use Turrialba or La Suiza as your base.

terrycook

Hi rf2cr…now we are geting on the right track…actually La Suiza information would be really great. What can you tell me about the town and the area. I am actually going to visit someone who live about 5 miles from La Suiza and this would be a good spot. I will probably stay for at least a few weeks as I have this spot marked as one place I may wish to stay permenantly….thanks and hope you can help me….Google after many attempts did not help at all….
    thanks Looking for Cheap hostle single & clean or B&B or what ever is cheap, clean and safe.
    Terry From Texas

Peg

Terry

If you just do a search (not Google) for hotels or B&B’s in Turrialba Costa Rica, it will pull up several options. The average cost in the green season is $47-$50., some include 2-3 meals. It is still a touristy area because of Irazu Volcano and some of the the Eco-tourist areas. You could always book a place for couple of days and look around for lower cost accomodations when you get there. Those places are more than likely not advertising on the web.

terrycook

Peg, good idea…I did find last year for 3 months that if you just look around you can find a good and inexpensive place..If I need to start high and then move that is fine. I have 5 sections of the country that I am going to look at that I did not go to last year and already have found places that are clean and nice for $100 + or – per week and monthly rates that are even better. Your suggestion is a good one and I will keep this in mind…thanks so much
    terry from Texas

rf2cr
    Participant

Hi Terry –

If you are looking for cheap, ignore my original suggestion of staying at Casa Turriure – it is wonderful but definately not cheap. We have made friends with a delightful couple who owned a property in La Suiza and I am sure they could provide you with all the info you might need about the area. If you are willing email me direct at rfatacg@yahoo.com with your email address and I will pass it on to Pat & Ian with the request that she contact you. There was a hotel up on the hill where we ate – I looked through the windows of the cabins & while not elegant it looked clean enough. The view was spectacular and the food decent and inexpensive. Unfortunately I cannot find my book and cannot remember the name – will look for it and get back to you.

Ruth

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.