Paul McCartney in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Paul McCartney in Costa Rica

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Can you believe the prices they are charging to see this 71 year old man perform here in [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/Costa_Ricas_New_Stadium__Incredible_progress_in_just_one_year.cfm]Costa Rica’s nation stadium?[/url]

[url=http://www.nacion.com/ocio/musica/Paul-McCartney-Costa-Rica-ex-Beatle_0_1402259832.html]Paul McCartney en Costa Rica: Un ex-Beatle caminará entre nosotros[/url].

From what I can see, the cheapest tickets are $55 then $73, $100, $220, $311, $440, $522 and $633!

Who’s going?

bogino
    Participant

That’s Cheap (compared to Southern CA.)..:):)

Andrew
    Keymaster

As any professional singer will confirm, the voice can change dramatically as the person ages…

At age 71 any singer’s voice is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

This is a [url=http://aapproach.com/what-happened-to-whitney-houstons-voice-a-vocal-coachs-analysis/]terrific article about Whitney Houston[/url] who was “successful” but I would certainly not consider a professional singer, the article gives us some great clues about the development of the voice.

“It is important to note that someone “sounding good” to our ears is a very relative phenomenon. It’s a matter of opinion. It is very possible for someone to sound great, while singing in a way that is damaging to their voice. The human voice is very resilient, and youth often allows for us to push the limits. Early in Whitney’s career, her immense talent was apparent (Hence her record deal and worldwide fame). What was equally apparent, was her lack of formal training. Many will say, “She sounded magnificent…How can you say she had no training?”. Indeed, Ms. Houston did sound magnificent. But solid and effective vocal training is just as much about preserving your voice, as it is about enhancing the sound of it. Whitney Houston, by her own admission, had never had formal voice lessons.”

[url=http://www.heathermaclaughlin.com/wp-content/uploads/topics/Agingvoiceprint.pdf]Here’s another good article[/url] about the aging voice…

I never liked the sound of the Beatles or Paul McCartney’s voice but, with all the electronics they have today, I’m sure they’ll make him sound as good as he can be …

Scott

bogino
    Participant

The reason i might pay a “premium” to see someone perform is because I expect to be thoroughly “wowed” and entertained by the performer. What Scott points out about “aging” entertainers is spot on. Think back to superstars from say the ’70’s or ’80’s that would fill entire stadiums and now they can barely fill a small engagement at the local summer county fair. Aging has its consequences and that’s not necessarily bad. It simply is reality. Paul McCartney is an exception due to his legendary status but the reality is he doesn’t sing as well or as vibrantly as he did during his 20’s. I still love The Beatles (both as a group and individually) but I don’t listen current Paul McCartney stuff. I still listen to Hard Days Night, or Help or Abbey Road…etc.

davidd

You go sweikert.. 😀 if someone said look the sky is blue.. you would whip out your handy dandy tablet and pull out articles on why the sky is actually red..:lol::lol:

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Scott”]Can you believe the prices they are charging to see this 71 year old man perform here…[/quote]

I’m not sure what his age has to do with it. Either a performer is worth the money being charged or s/he isn’t.

Come to that I would pay more for a performance by Judi Dench (age 79), Maggie Smith (age 79), Meryl Streep (age 64) or Sigourney Weaver (age 64) than Kate Winslet (age 38 ), Amy Adams (age 36) or Jennifer Lawrence (age 23). But give those last three another 30 or 40 years experience and I may reassess that opinion.[/quote]

bogino
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”bogino”]Think back to superstars from say the ’70’s or ’80’s that would fill entire stadiums and now they can barely fill a small engagement at the local summer county fair. [/quote]
    Well we’ll shortly have an opportunity to test that very theory. Either McCartney’s show will get a good crowd when he performs in CR or he won’t. My guess is that he will get considerably better than a number that can “barely fill a small engagement at the local summer county fair”.
    [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_concert_tours]Here[/url] is a link that may lend something to the conversation.[/quote]

Pay attention and read my entire post:

“Paul McCartney is the exception”…

orcas0606
    Participant

Over the hill, aged rock groups and not always good groups or well known groups seem to do quite well in Costa Rica for some reason. I really enjoyed the Beatles in the 60s but those days are long gone for me. Where is the draw……my age group or younger fans??? Maybe their egos just won’t let them give it up. Paul really can’t need the money!!!

quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”bogino”]Think back to superstars from say the ’70’s or ’80’s that would fill entire stadiums and now they can barely fill a small engagement at the local summer county fair. [/quote]
    Well we’ll shortly have an opportunity to test that very theory. Either McCartney’s show will get a good crowd when he performs in CR or he won’t. My guess is that he will get considerably better than a number that can “barely fill a small engagement at the local summer county fair”.
    [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_concert_tours]Here[/url] is a link that may lend something to the conversation. Keith Richards and Mick Jagger are both 70. But I guess since they’re a year younger than Sir Paul that makes all the difference LOL[/quote]

bogino
    Participant

As far as I can guess, I think the only “old guys” (say 70 or so) that could still pack in a large crowd would be McCartney, Springsteen, of course the Stones. I myself would not pay to see them today but that’s a matter of personal preference. I [b]HAVE[/b] seen all of them perform 30+ years ago and those shows were memorable. I rather remember them that way.

bogino
    Participant

I forgot to mention The Eagles too. The recently remodeled Los Angeles Forum (former home to the L.A. Lakers) has recently begun staging concerts again. Years ago The Forum held 17,000+ and I’m guessing still about the same. Just recently The Eagles performed 4 or 5 shows at The Forum and my understanding was that all were sold out.

bogino
    Participant

Well…Brasil is not CR, however, I was living in Rio during the early into late 1960’s and I remember going to see Hard Days Night in the movie theatre. Girls were screaming and passing out in the theatre and some had to be ambulanced off. My guess is that level of popularity was probably global.

CHERYLJK

While not a “rocker”, 87 year old Tony Bennett still performs to sold out crowds, and he is worth every penny!!

sprite

I don’t go to such affairs..but if I were to go to just one, it would be to hear and see Sir Paul McCartney.
    I suspect there are a considerable number of Ticos in my age group who will go if it is not too inconvenient (ie; too expensive or too far to travel)
    The more interesting question for me is how accurately they are able to estimate what a ticket should cost in a particular country for a given performance. The one most important factor, I suspect, might be the relative income level of the foreseen buyers.What is the middle class monthly salary? The last time i checked it was south of $1200 per month.

Doug Ward

[quote=”Scott”]Can you believe the prices they are charging to see this 71 year old man perform here in [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/Costa_Ricas_New_Stadium__Incredible_progress_in_just_one_year.cfm]Costa Rica’s nation stadium?[/url]

[url=http://www.nacion.com/ocio/musica/Paul-McCartney-Costa-Rica-ex-Beatle_0_1402259832.html]Paul McCartney en Costa Rica: Un ex-Beatle caminará entre nosotros[/url].

From what I can see, the cheapest tickets are $55 then $73, $100, $220, $311, $440, $522 and $633!

Who’s going?
    [/quote]EWWWWWWWWWW Deah. That’s SIR Pablito McFartney to you peon !:(

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.