Panama Discussion Forum

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Panama Discussion Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    rgoettling

With so many people heading across the border to Panama, does anyone know of a discussion board like Scott has created here for Panama? Also, what are the negatives of buying property in Panama?
    thanks
    Bob

Andrew
    Keymaster

There are far more people headed for Costa Rica than Panama but I do not know of a comparable Discussion Forum for Panama

Scott Oliver

DavidCMurray
    Participant

How many people are headed across the border to Panama?

scottbenson

I do know of some developments in Panama and to tell you the truth, Panama used to be a home away from home for me. Prior to 2000 I had been in Panama for more than 15 times and I loved Panama. How ever they do have some serious problems along the border of Colombia. I understand that if you are purchasing property more than a certain amount of acerage you have to be incorperated because they don’t want non Panamainians buying up large amounts of property.
    If you are looking at moving into the north side it is very hard to get there Panama City or San Jose you will have to take a charter flight to many locations. The travel time is much longer and harder than like San Jose to Jaco. This is one reason why most people shy away from Panama. Tourism in Panama has not boomed like in Costa Rica too so the infrastructure is not set up as well.
    I personaly have not been to Panama since 2001 how ever I do plan on going back soon just to see my old stamping grounds.

jraabe

I just joined this site at the suggestion of a fellow user of the forum software.

I have a site where we have been having a discussion on Panama (the site is NOT devoted to Panama – in fact the post is in the Off-Topic section of the forum).

If you are interested in my trip and photos taken earlier this year click here:
    http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1140400212/0. Boquete is the most interesting area to me.

You could also search my forum on Costa Rica as there was a discussion going on about that as well (but you will get better info here).

rgoettling

David, just look at some of the developments going on in Panama City and some of the beach areas. Trump is doing an amazing highrise, there is a 104 story Ice Tower, and probably about 20 preconstruction condo opportunities in Panama City. For the past year, my wife and I have been looking at investments in Costa Rica and we continue to hear about the early CR developers already moved down to Panama.
    Bob

editer

Bob,

Try http://www.expatfocus.com/ This discussion forum is for expats around the world and has a list of countries, including Panama, that are covered specifically. Because the site is not as focused as Welovecostarica, I can’t say how detailed the posts are.

I’m sure that Welovecostarica correspondents are much better-looking.

editer

Andrew
    Keymaster

I know quite a few of the developers here in Costa Rica, would you please tell me which developers have moved down to Panama?

I guess if someone wants to move to a place that has lots of beautiful high-rises, just like Miami, then Panama is for them but Panama does not have the Ticos and the people here are a very big factor as to “why” I love living in Costa Rica.

Panama does not have a population of people like the Ticos.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

PS. Yes! The Costa Rican people are indeed “much better looking.”

fhmoroz

I’ve just recently come from Panama City and here’s my report. Panamanian infrastructure is significantly ahead of Costa Rica mainly because of American interests; i.e. the Canal, proclivity of businesses with US backing, etc. The city itself is a mini New York with congestion and high rises galore; very unlike San Jose. Theft and muggings occur just as in San Jose but there’s an added component to crime in Panama. Because I always register with the American embassy whenever I am abroad I am privy to emails from the Consular General regarding serious issues. I share this one with the discussion group:
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Date: 17 July 2006

Subject: Security Update Incidents involving foreigners in Panama City

This warden message is to inform American citizens resident in and traveling to Panama of two recent security related incidents in Panama City. Local police and other diplomatic missions inform the Embassy that both incidents were violent attacks on foreigners in Panama.

In one incident, a female British national was sexually assaulted after hailing a cab from Albrook Mall at 12:30 PM on July 9, 2006. Although taxis in Panama are generally safe, please use caution when hailing a cab. Negotiate fares prior to entering. Advise the cab driver not to pick up other fares while you are in the cab. Be aware of your surroundings. Note the name of the cab company, when possible. If you feel the cab is taking you somewhere other than your destination, exit the cab when safe to do so, and head to the nearest public place (i.e. police station, mall, shopping center, or fire station).

The other incident involved an American family living in Altos de Golf. Two armed individuals broke into the house and physically assaulted two members of the family at 12:30 AM on June 30, 2006. The local police suspect that the individuals had worked for the residents in the past. American citizens resident in Panama should discuss and review home security with your family. Lock all doors, windows, gates, and automobile doors at your residence. Periodically check your alarm system. Ensure that domestic help and children know not to allow anyone in the residence without prior consent from an adult member of the household. Have important numbers, such as the local police and fire departments, readily available or memorized.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    I have never received any such warning for Costa Rica, and interestingly, I myself was hailing a cab from Allbrook Mall just 5 days prior to this reported rape.

*Lotus

I have to wonder just how relavant these reports are? I live in NYC with a great police force etc…I could fill the pages of this forum up everyday with the violent crime that happens here on a daily basis. Just a few weeks ago a teenager from New Jersey was at a night club here, was picked up by a cab and found murdered a few days later. The cab driver and his junkie/prostitute girlfriend commited the crime. I guess what i’m trying to say is if people were to read crime bulletins on the U.S. no one in there right mind would visit us! I appreciate the information you are shareing but am trying to keep everything in perspective. I know that when I discuss travel to central America with American friends, a lot of them look a me like i’m crazy and then I point out the cime stats in our own country.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I think they are relevant in that people want to hear that other people have similar concerns.

I don’t like reading all the ‘negative’ crap that supposedly ‘sells’ either lotus but as you very well know, perception and reality are often two very different things.

The perception that most Americans have of their own country is that everything is bigger, better and faster in America which is sometimes but, definitely not always true.

As my American friend Charlie McCormack points out in his article ‘Why More Americans Are Leaving America To Live In Costa Rica’ there are some areas where Americans have some very serious concerns.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

jraabe

I agree with Scott. My experience is that Panama and probably Costa Rica (my brother has been there, I have not) is as safe if not safer than most comparable communities in the U.S.

I know the health care is as good or better. My sister in law was having some serious back problems that were not being properly diagnosed in St. Louis and when she went to a doctor in David, Panama (20 minutes down the mountain from Boquete) he said it was one of two things, that she needed to have it properly evaluated and since she was headed back to the U.S. the next day called the doctor at the hospital he had studied under and had her seen the next day she was back. They immediately operated (on the spinal column nerve tissue!) and she is now doing fine.

She was lucky to have seen the right doctor – the one she couldn’t seem to find in the U.S.!!

The Panama I saw was populated by people who were generally happier and in less desperate poverty than in the U.S. I see more beggars and muggers in Seattle than Panama city.

scottbenson

Hey have they done anything with the old Howard Air Force base? I understand that was being turned into a development?

Yes, Panama city is like a New York but in many ways a lot worse! People don’t want to tell you about the really bad parts of that town which would make hells kitchen look like a play ground. As you come over the Bridge of America into the city there is a huge housing project on the right hand side. This is one place you do not want to go to during the day time. The police won’t even go there during the day time! I don’t know if they cleaned it up since the last four years but this is a place where you will find many of the wanted criminals from Panama.
    Some other facts about Panama is that it is one of the main traveling points for illegal arms shipments and illegal human traficing in the world. Since the U.S. gave back the cannal many problems have risen but are being kept under the rug due to the fact that Panama dosent want to look like they can’t control their problems.
    One day in Minnesota I met a man in a resturant that was from China, he spoke really good spanish. I aske how he learned Spanish he said he lived in Panama for 3 years before he came to the U.S. we talked and he told me how he came to Mn illegally by paying money to be transported to Mn.
    Again every country has their problems but I would have to say the most friendly people in Central America is Ticos!

*Lotus

Interesting article, Wow “we” really are #1! Lol….!!!!

rgoettling

Good points! To answer your question Scott, we met several business persons around Manuel Antonio/Quepos who either go back and forth between there and Panama or have moved to Panama completely. 2 different real estate attorneys in San Jose have told us the same along with a big developer around Tamarindo. We are going to Panama to see for ourselves in a couple weeks. Don’t get me wrong, we love Costa Rica and the Ticos are awesome! But I wish I would have found Costa Rica 10 years ago!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.