overstayed his visa

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum overstayed his visa

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    costaricabill
    Participant

We have a young friend that has overstayed his 90-day VISA. He should have left in February, before the new law went into effect, but now that the new law is in effect, he doesn’t know what to expect when he tries to leave in a couple of weeks.

Will he subject to the fines and penalties as outlined in the new law ($100/month) or will he be fined and penalties outlined in the old law?

Should he just fly out of SJO as planned, or should he first make a border run to Panama or Nicaragua for 3 days and try to get a fresh stamp at a border location that may not have the new computerized equipment?

Andrew
    Keymaster

I don’ think you’re going to get a definitive answer here CostaRicaBill…

As you are thinking, my guess would be that he would be dealt with more harshly and ‘by-the-book’ in SJO rather than one of the less formal borders but who knows?

Scott

2bncr

I bet nothing is going to happen when he leaves. They used to fine you at the airport. It was cheap way back when. My kids have overstayed their visas several times and have never been fined or had problems reentering the country – really this country enforces the laws when and how they see fit so you really do not know. I will tell you one thing for sure, they will not put you in a pot and boil you then eat you. Let us know what happened after he leaves.

moonbanks

[quote=”2BNCR”]I bet nothing is going to happen when he leaves. They used to fine you at the airport. It was cheap way back when. My kids have overstayed their visas several times and have never been fined or had problems reentering the country – really this country enforces the laws when and how they see fit so you really do not know. I will tell you one thing for sure, they will not put you in a pot and boil you then eat you. Let us know what happened after he leaves.[/quote]
    leave on a plane from sjo…wont even look

spiritdancer

My friend overstayed his visa and we made a quick trip to Panama by car. I can only say that they were intent on giving him the new fine and he received a big lecture. But in the end, he didn’t pay. It is obviously much more of a deal now than it ever was and the fines are substantial.:roll:

2bncr

yeah – that will probaly be true, for a while. Then they will get tired of enforcing that law… who knows, this country is in many ways dysfunctional. I thinks it’s intended to be this way to keep the homefield advantage.

People I know who had overstayed left without any problems last weekend. They went across at the Nica border and returned the same day. No Problem and they got a new 90 visa as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.