Our cost of living is expected to increase significantly in 2013.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Our cost of living is expected to increase significantly in 2013.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

The water providers are PURE EVIL!! You do not want them anywhere near your water supply. I live where I do in costa rica because my water comes from a pristine cuenca, the water is untreated — no chlorine, no fluoride — straight out of a mountain. before you praise these water providers, i suggest you watch this: http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/flow_for_love_of_water/

you will never think about water the same way again.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

My understanding is that the Costa Rican government has been mandating chlorination of community water supplies for the past two or three years. How recent is your information, maravilla?

waggoner41

[quote=”Scott”][quote=”maravilla”]Money-saving tips from the Food Fascist:

Give up meat. Switch to a veggie-based, whole grain and legume diet. It will save you money and save your life.
    [/quote]

PS. I don’t have time to make my own bread by hand but used to have a terrific Zojirushi bread machine which I used for about 15 years until it just died on me …. Don’t supposed there’s a good bread machine store you know of …. ??

[/quote]

We have a run to Golfito every 3 months or so. I’ll see if there are bread machines available there next run and quote some prices.

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]My understanding is that the Costa Rican government has been mandating chlorination of community water supplies for the past two or three years. How recent is your information, maravilla?
    [/quote]

This is true, I am member of the local water board and we have also been ignoring this law for years. We test our water on a regular basis and it is the best water you can imagine. But still, chlorination is required by law and we will have to start soon.

maravilla

my information is as recent as 10 days ago when i had a meeting with the private institution that maintains our cuenca. NO CHLORINE! NO FLUORIDE! Yaaaaaa.

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]maravilla,[/b] what will you do if changes are made?

Lotus123

Some great thoughts here on eating. And with medical costs what they are you want to stay healthy. I have been a vegetarian since 17 (now 49). Maravilla offers all of us some great ideas whether we live in Costa Rica or elsewhere. Gracias!

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”
    ? Hippocrates
    http://www.forksoverknives.com/

Making small changes can really make a difference!

2bncr

How about a food camp where you illustrate upfront and personal how you make what you make and how you shop. You know a day with Marvy making yogurt, buying milk, going to the feria and coming back and cooking.

You could also make a book or great blog out of it and you could also incorporate a monthly supper club gathering where people can have a great dinner and you can make a few hundred dollars.

Many time people that want to make the changes you outline (great changes BTW) just don’t know where to start.

A program that encourages a boot camp seminar for the basics, a weekly blog about source and recipies and [i]food fascist facts[/i][u][/u] and then a get together where every one dines and enjoys but also asks question or are shown corrections would be gret.

Personally I think there is not greater cause than changing eating habits and consumption consciousness.

Food is a common denominator that unites us.

personally I admire your eating style and wish to emulate it. But your way crosses the food line and unites it with the lifestyle line…

While I am brain storming I wish I could find a maid/cook that knew how to do what you do. How about a certification course for locals. Man i would pay extra extra to employ a maid that could cook green and use fish and chicken as more of a condiment rather than a slab of food.

Just dreaming I guess, just my imagination running way with me.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”][b]maravilla,[/b] what will you do if changes are made?[/quote]

Drink beer?

rxmurphy

We switched to almond “milk” years ago and love it. Admittedly, we have not tried to make yogurt, but an interesting project for the weekend!

Lotus123

Very easy to make your own almond milk as well. Soak for 8 hours (you can then blanch with hot water and the skins come off between your fingers) then either blend or run through a macerating style juicer (like a Huron)with the soaked water. Then strain through cheese cloth. You can also do this with cashews or mix them.

Either way, “Soaking your nuts” before eating is tasty and healthy!:D

davidd

Maravilla

that was some great tips.. although there is a fine line balance between

doing what you do because

you want to

as opposed to

you have to

being frugal the way you are is great if you were doing it for personal reasons

but doing this because you have no money and have that stress then its not fun

maravilla

i don’t know HOW they would chlorinate our water supply since it comes from a spring on the side of a mountain and is piped in. there is no reservoir. i would be one unhappy puppy if these messed with my water.

Hey 2bncr — thanks for your approval! that means a lot to me. i used to teach cooking classes, bread making class, and pastry classes. i’ve also done some commando-style kitchen clean-outs where i go into a persons house and tell them about all the poisons in their food, then dump it all in trash bags, and take them to the store and teach them how to shop. it’s a big job, as so many people just are clueless. good, healthy food does not have to be complicated. and we used to have those kinds of dinners where everyone participated in making it and learning about the healthy qualities of the food we were preparing. you are what you eat — it’s just that simple, and so many people have health problems that could be mitigated if they cut out the sugar, bad fats, and junk food in general. if i only had a clone of myself, or an extra 5 – 10 hours in a day, i could get something together here. maybe next year. vamos a ver.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Your water would be (or is) chlorinated by an inline chlorinator just as ours is, maravilla. There’s no need for any reservoir or holding tank. And by the time it reaches your home,it will have done its antibacterial job and be dissipated into the air as it flows out of the faucet.

maravilla

well, they are NOT doing that now and have no plans to do it in the future. i have never consumed chlorinated water and i don’t plan to start now. but at least there are filters for that, unlike fluoride.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.