Our Car Shipping Experience

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Our Car Shipping Experience

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    gzeniou

It is true that our Car insurance company would not cover the car out of the USA (Geico), I’m guessing most others won’t.

Actually my research on this site suggested shipping cars here, at least that was my take when I searched the topic.
    I will say this, just because it didn’t work well for me doesn’t mean it won’t work for others, but I personally would not go with any shipper that wasn’t highly recommended (this shipper was on this site) and most importantly a shipper that wasn’t fully insured).

By the way, Crowley (the actually cargo ship, where the car is placed and processed) is fully insured and does do an inspection on your car when its dropped off while you are there and I’m told does the same when the car is dropped off in its destination country, it is inspected with either the owner or agent representative of the owner. If the car is damaged by Crowley, there insurance will take care of it. I’m not sure though when the final Crowley inspection is (before or after customs). but I bet you can’t get to your car before the customs inspection, thus the Crowley inspection is done after customs. If I’m wrong about this please correct me. If there is any doubt, I can call Crowley about this. Basically, I am disagreeing with the above post, If items were damaged or stolen on the boat or in the ports where Crowley is you are covered. I assure you Crowley ships thousands of cars a year all over the world, and if you ever have been to their port in Florida, its extremely secure. Of course nothing is 100% that is why there is insurance.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

While I agree with the sentiment to be sure that the car being imported is insured all along the way, my friend who has imported several cars tells me that it’s not a good buy. The problem comes when you try to get the insurer to pay a claim. Apparently they’re not very responsive.

moonbanks

[quote=”gzeniou”]It is true that our Car insurance company would not cover the car out of the USA (Geico), I’m guessing most others won’t.

Actually my research on this site suggested shipping cars here, at least that was my take when I searched the topic.
    I will say this, just because it didn’t work well for me doesn’t mean it won’t work for others, but I personally would not go with any shipper that wasn’t highly recommended (this shipper was on this site) and most importantly a shipper that wasn’t fully insured).

By the way, Crowley (the actually cargo ship, where the car is placed and processed) is fully insured and does do an inspection on your car when its dropped off while you are there and I’m told does the same when the car is dropped off in its destination country, it is inspected with either the owner or agent representative of the owner. If the car is damaged by Crowley, there insurance will take care of it. I’m not sure though when the final Crowley inspection is (before or after customs). but I bet you can’t get to your car before the customs inspection, thus the Crowley inspection is done after customs. If I’m wrong about this please correct me. If there is any doubt, I can call Crowley about this. Basically, I am disagreeing with the above post, If items were damaged or stolen on the boat or in the ports where Crowley is you are covered. I assure you Crowley ships thousands of cars a year all over the world, and if you ever have been to their port in Florida, its extremely secure. Of course nothing is 100% that is why there is insurance.[/quote]

you guys are piss…in the wind…I was in the shipping business for 25 yrs in the USA..for your information you buy your own transportation private insurance to cover these problems..it is well documented on many sites that this kind of theft is common when shipping vehicles and believe me the union ILA workers that load on the docks dont give a rats ass about your vehicle or your personal effects..The only way to insure a good transport is to put the car in a container not on a ROHO drive on vessel..Didnt do your homework on this one…The insurance is a shipping insurance not a car insurance company like Geico,,,

gzeniou

Can you please enlightening us on an insurance company that would insure an individual for such transport. I just did a google search and found a company that will insure you if you go with a licensed company (I’m guessing that means licensed in the states). Are there any licensed shippers that ship cars to Costa Rica? I know shipcostarica is not registered in the state of Florida (thus not licensed). Also you may want to check with Crowley as they do insure your vehicle on their watch (of course, I don’t know if that is worth anything) but at least they do a before and after inspection. Wouldn’t it be just easier to have the shipper have a contract with an insurance company to cover any loses that they may occur during the process? Thanks for your insight.

2bncr

I paid $400 to have my car insured from Port canaveral to Limon.

Like I said you have your skivies in a knot for very little considering all the things that do and will go wrong in Costa Rica. Remember Pura Vida Happens. No I do not work for the shipping company but you are so typical gringo with the attitude that people in Costa Rica are going to make you whole after you complain. You ain’t in Kansas anymore and although you can fuss and fume and bang the table all you want that doesn’t play here.

I know you itellectually understand this, but can you accept it?

The ansewer to that question will determine if you can make it here or not.

Costa Rica is not for siisy who cry foul for whatever small reason.

Just wai until you get involved in a court battle here, or even try to get compensation or even a fair bill form ICE or the AyA. If this shipping episode has you playing the “Ive been wronged” card, just you wait.

I suspect after several month you will be thinking “Jeez, that guy on the fourm was right – Pura Vida happens everywhere here…”

Prepare yourself or don’t cancel that return ticket!

gzeniou

[quote=”2BNCR”]I paid $400 to have my car insured from Port canaveral to Limon.

Like I said you have your skivies in a knot for very little considering all the things that do and will go wrong in Costa Rica. Remember Pura Vida Happens. No I do not work for the shipping company but you are so typical gringo with the attitude that people in Costa Rica are going to make you whole after you complain. You ain’t in Kansas anymore and although you can fuss and fume and bang the table all you want that doesn’t play here.

I know you itellectually understand this, but can you accept it?

The ansewer to that question will determine if you can make it here or not.

Costa Rica is not for siisy who cry foul for whatever small reason.

Just wai until you get involved in a court battle here, or even try to get compensation or even a fair bill form ICE or the AyA. If this shipping episode has you playing the “Ive been wronged” card, just you wait.

I suspect after several month you will be thinking “Jeez, that guy on the fourm was right – Pura Vida happens everywhere here…”

Prepare yourself or don’t cancel that return ticket![/quote]

Your right on here, I was hoping that the People of Costa Rica would buy me a new car and I do expect it to be personally delivered by Laura Chinchilla. Hey if I’m big enough “siisy” maybe they will give me some of your Pura Vida that you like to use and buy me a house back in the United States. I expect I will need that house after they charter me a plane to the US after I am “involved in that court battle”. You could even be an expert witness at the “court battle” the answers to your questions no doubtingly will determine if we can make it here or not.

2bncr

Please let us know if you get your car rekeyed, you security wrench replaced, and the undercarriage engine cover repaired or replaced.

Oh and if you don’t (and I seriously doubt you will), after your law suit to recover damages has come to a conclusion 2+ years later, and by some miricale you do get a judgement, let us know when you collect that judgement, that is if you haven’t gone home yet…

It will cost more than the original retainer not to mention what the attorney will cheat you for, to take it to court.

Oh and one more thing, excuse me for doing you the favor of trying to open your eyes to the reality of living here.

And of course “Pura Vida” and good luck!

wspeed1195

[quote=”2BNCR”]Please let us know if you get your car rekeyed, you security wrench replaced, and the undercarriage engine cover repaired or replaced.

Oh and if you don’t (and I seriously doubt you will), after your law suit to recover damages has come to a conclusion 2+ years later, and by some miricale you do get a judgement, let us know when you collect that judgement, that is if you haven’t gone home yet…

It will cost more than the original retainer not to mention what the attorney will cheat you for, to take it to court.

Oh and one more thing, excuse me for doing you the favor of trying to open your eyes to the reality of living here.

And of course “Pura Vida” and good luck![/quote]wow,that puts A positive note in things.
    great promo for costa rica.hehehe

2bncr

wspeed1195

The people, the countryside, weather, etc, etc, etc – there are many positives to living here, but if your expectations are that you will be compensated when things go wrong, well be prepared for a let down.

The only way you can get thing done right in this country is to withhold the final payment. Fight fire with fire by delaying the final payment for a month to see what goes wrong and when you find out refuse to pay it until it is fixed.

If you pay in full and you have a problem, good luck.

Now I lknow somebody is going to write in and say, so and so did this and it wasn’t right and we paid in full and he came back to fix it, Ha! The exception to the rule, not the rule.

If someone gets frustrated enough to use this forum to hurt the reputation of an honest company because they lost a key and a wrench, then just how do you think they will handle it when their new lawn mower is ruined by the gardener because he never change the oil?

Or the maid uses chlorine bleach on their colored clothes, or does not understand how to use one of those “Gringo washing machines” and never bothers to adjust the water level. So she washes a full load with minimum water and double detergent and walla – whoops there goes $500 worth of clothes! Ha!

Just wait until the gardener washes that new Toyota with a Scothbrite pad! These people will go ballistic! They will want to ride their bicycles back to the good ol US of A just to be around people that can use appliances and understand what a can of Pam is for.

I can just see them trying to sue the maid for fraud because she said she knows how to cook without salt or sugar, but man, she must have used ocean water to make the Gallo Pinto, and MM, MMM how about those Costa Rican lemons? – sure are sweeeet! I could make bio disel from the leftover grease on some of the plates maids have prepared for me.

Oh and wait until the neighbor throws an old tire on the burning trash! Ha – they will probably call SETENA! Costa Rica is defiantly not for everybody especially those who feel they are entitled to things working perfectly, and if they do not – they want to be compensated.

sstarkey

I have made five international moves and have always purchased insurance policies to cover my shipments. I consider this customary practice. In each case a few things have been lost / broken, and they have always been promptly compensated / repaired.

For anyone contemplating shipping goods, an insurance policy on the shipment is a MUST. Good shipping companies should offer referrals to insurers who offer these type of policies as part of their service. If they cannot do so, this should be a red flag, I think.

Yup, ‘stuff happens’, no matter where you move. An appropriate insurance policy should soften the blow.

Do your homework.

ardenbrink

[quote=”sstarkey”]I have made five international moves and have always purchased insurance policies ==snip== In each case a few things have been lost / broken, and they have always been promptly compensated / repaired.
    [/quote]

Would you have some recommendations you could make about companies that you’ve used for such insurance that you’ve been happy with? I know there’s lots of folks who would welcome being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!

sstarkey

Hi Arden,

Four of my five moves were arranged by my employer; our relo company chooses the mover, and the mover seems to generally have the relationship with the insurer.

I looked through my files and on my most recent move, (Italy to the UK), we used a company called UNIRISC. Their web site says they sell relo insurance to individuals, (and not just to Companies). On at least one of my French moves I used Interconex / Interdean for shipping & insurance and they were fine.

ardenbrink

[quote=”sstarkey”]I looked through my files and on my most recent move, (Italy to the UK), we used a company called UNIRISC. ==snip== On at least one of my French moves I used Interconex / Interdean for shipping & insurance and they were fine.[/quote]

Thanks much. I’ll start doing some investigating so we have some recommendations to offer clients in the future.

Thanks again!
    –arden–

sstarkey

You are welcome, Arden.

One thing to mention is that, for me, as a customer, the process of shipping with the mover and taking out the insurance has always been ‘seamless’. I haven’t had to give much thought to the insurance policy…it was always just a part of relo package…and just another quick form to fill out prior to shipping.

From my experience, this is what the customer wants. There are so many little details to think about when moving – researching unknown insurance policies is time consuming and for the uninformed / unconnected, it’s simply a crap shoot. It’s really a bonus if the mover has a reputable insurer integrated as ‘part of the package’ to offer the client.

Naturally, the price has to be right, and the insurer’s claims service MUST be impeccable. That’s YOUR homework though…(-:

gzeniou

Just met with ShipCostarica (Barry) to get the title for the car.

Shipcostarica paid for lojack installation and the under engine cover repair and also supplied 4 security lugs. My wife and I are very satisfied with this solution. However, I still hold that shipcostarica needs to get insurance (perhaps they already have) or alert you do the fact that they don’t. They could even point you in the right direction on how to get it or even offer it as an option.

Hope this thread helps you.

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.