One-way ticket out of Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum One-way ticket out of Costa Rica

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    aestout

Does anybody know how to avoid the one-way ticket problem when entering CR?

I am in the process of buying land here, and am spending an undefined amount of time in the country. I will make my three month trips across the border, but don’t want to buy a return ticket, without knowing when I want to return.

I am leaving CR in a couple of weeks for a week and don’t want to have to buy a round-trip ticket again. I’ve thought about buying a one way bus ticket before, for when I come back again. Any suggestions?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Since it is the airlines that insist you have a return ticket, you are [i]’at their mercy'[/i], whether they will let you board the plane in the USA when you try to fly here.
    Many have done it with no problem, but I am one who have been denied boarding until a return ticket has been purchased.
    It has been said that that this is happening much more often, now.
    We did buy a bus ticket for another time, but one-way tickets are often much more expensive.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I’ve had the same pricing experience with one-way versus round trip tickets. For reasons I cannot fathom, the airlines apparently find it cheaper to fly you round trip (baggage, ticketing, and stale peanuts x 2) than one way. Go figure . . .

Just buy the round trip ticket and either toss the return ticket or pay the $100 rebooking fee when you’re ready and use it to go back to the U.S.

linstev44

I haven’t tried this myself, but what I have heard suggested was to buy a one way fully refundable return ticket, and then once here, get the refund. And, another scenario is to buy a one way bus ticket and have it with you. (not sure if bus tickets are refundable)

orcas0606
    Participant

[quote=”aestout”]Does anybody know how to avoid the one-way ticket problem when entering CR?

I am in the process of buying land here, and am spending an undefined amount of time in the country. I will make my three month trips across the border, but don’t want to buy a return ticket, without knowing when I want to return.

I am leaving CR in a couple of weeks for a week and don’t want to have to buy a round-trip ticket again. I’ve thought about buying a one way bus ticket before, for when I come back again. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Why not give the bus ticket out of the country a try? A Managua / San José return ticket on TransNica is only $45

costaricafinca
    Participant

I should have added, that that is what we done, purchased a one way fully refundable return ticket, then got our money back later.
    And, I don’t think getting a refund on the the bus ticket would be so easy, since you will be possibly out of the country at that point…
    We just [i]ate the loss[/i] of the bus tickets….we were so glad that we didn’t have the same problem the next time!
    Just be sure that your passport is still valid, showing that you are under the allowable 90 days, else you may not get a ticket.

costaricabill
    Participant

is it possible to by the bus ticket on line?

costaricafinca
    Participant

It may be possible, but here is a link to try [url=http://www.ticabus.com/mapa_ing.html]TicaBus[/url] although I couldn’t find any info on where to purchase one, online.

costaricabill
    Participant

In the FAQ section I found that tickets can be purchased in US dollars or local currency – no checks or credit cards, so I guess that also means no internet purchases.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.