Old Used U.S. Locked Cell Phones/Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Old Used U.S. Locked Cell Phones/Costa Rica

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Like most expats still living part time in the U.S., I have about 15 old used cell phones from various U.S. cell providers. I recall reading a CR publication several months ago,listing certain makes of old used U.S. cell phones, that will work in CR; if you unlock them with certain codes; or have them unlocked for you. Unfortunately, I do not recall, and cannot relocate that particular article. Can any member provide me with information or insight, whether it is even worth the effort?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Whether it’s worthwhile to mess with unlocking your old phones is up to you, but do be aware that ICE is moving fast toward an all-3G system, so there’s little future in spending time or money trying to resurrect an old 2G phone. In fact, for over a year ICE has refused to install a SIM in a 2G phone. I’m sure that the new ICE competitors, too, are all-3G.

Are you aware that in the U.S. there are organizations which will recycle your old cellphones to needy individuals who cannot afford one? I think I understand that the FCC requires that any cellphone, even one not associated with any service provider, must be able to access the cellular network to make emergency 9-1-1 calls. That’s the purpose of these redistributions. And, you can take a tax deduction.

David, thanks for your feedback. I am a veterans advocate, and will go ahead and donate the used phones to various vet organizations.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.