Off-Road 4 wheeling in CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Off-Road 4 wheeling in CR

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    fredo

I am planning a move to CR in the near future. My main passion in the US is Off-Road 4 wheeling, rock crawling. It is a very misunderstood sport. Most people think we race through the wilderness destroying everything in our path. (like the 4×4 commercials) Far from it, we go about 2 or 3 mph climbing rocks, etc., only on legal trails. The main thing we destroy is out own trucks.

Anyway, I have a ’95 Jeep Grand Cherokee that although it just looks beat up is actually highly modified at great expense. I would hate to give up a sport that brings me such joy and I would also hate to leave my truck behind.

So my questions are:
    1 – Does anyone know anything about 4 wheeling down there? Are there clubs? Here I am a member of http://www.eastern4wheelers.com/
    2 – If I brought my truck, are there mechanics to fix it and parts to replace when I break them. Which I do often. FYI, most parts are ordered from manufacturers or the internet. An example: I have broken the front drivers side axle shaft 5 times, and it’s made of special ultra strong metal.

To get an idea what I’m talking about, see: http://www.bway.net/~freedom (east coast 4 wheeling and ice racing) and http://www.bway.net/~freedom/album2 (western wheeling Moab, Utah)

I don’t expect that too many people will know about this, but hey, it’s worth a try.

FYI, I’ll be visiting there 8/15 – 8/29

Fred

ticopaz

Hi Fred,
    If you are driving down that is great. Here is a web site that may help you http://www.4x4extremo.com. I believe there may be another club but this will be a good place to start. If you have specialty parts and you think you may break them…better bring them with you or you could spend the better part of your vacation looking for them …if you can even find them. Good luck on your adventure and remember to tranquilo mae.

Ticopaz

fredo

Hi Ticopaz, No, I’m not bringing my truck down on this trip.

Right now I’m flying down to see where and how I might live, if I were to move there. What I was thinking about was whether I would bring my truck then or not. A lot depends on finding like minded souls down there, because it’s not something you want to do alone.

The website you suggested looks promising. I sent them an e-mail (in English and translated into Spanish hopefully readably, by Google) I hope they answer. And I hope maybe I could meet-up with some of them while I’m there

Thanks,
    Fred

ticopaz

Great Fred! Glad to hear. I have been here 7 years and love it. You have found a good starting point here at welovecostarica and with Scott. There are many here who love the outdoors and you should find some kindred souls for sure. Have a great trip :-))
    Ticopaz

stinsont

Fred I have recently purchased a small farm in C.R. near Lake Arenal for the sole purpose of haveing my own motocross track. Also I am in the planning stage of starting up a fabrication shop to hopefully start building offroad machines there (import tariffs are stiff on C.R) as well as marketing them to resorts and indiviudals.As far as bringing your truck down be prepared for tariff cost of several thousand $. The countrey is made for it and the people have a real love of motor sports in general. They have great mechanics but you have to look out for the Tico’s love to “McGiver” repairs. If you need any info on places to go while down there I would be happy to help. Have a great visit look forwrd to a post when you return.
    There is a fellow who sells and tours Unimogs and one who rents old FJ-40s to dive around on the coastal roads.

fredo

Hi ticopaz and stinsont, Thanks for your input, I’m, as they say, stoked. I know it seems like the territory was made for wheeling, I just need to hook up with some real wheelers.

I’m not a great mechanic, hence my need for somebody I can trust. As for replacement parts, I guess tariffs are tariffs and I’ll have to see.

I have no idea how they value a banged up ’95 Grand Cherokee, lifted 6 1/2″ with many mods to determine import duty. An example is my rear diff is a Ford 8.8 with an ARB locker. The orig Dana 35 is long gone. Basically, I was going over my truck and as far as mechanical parts, I think pretty much everything has been changed, upgraded or at least replaced. So, what do they do?

mmessier2

Costa Rica was made for wheeling… thats part of the reason why I love it there so much. From my experience in CR, its a different type of wheeling than rock crawling. Much more mud, many many many more high water crossings, more winching, but just as fun (if not more). Ive got my property purchased and when I move down there I’m already facing the same dilemma as you- I want to take my 4runner with me. Here is a link to 2 pics:

http://www.markmessier.net/albums/042707_CP_wheeling/CIMG0289.JPG
    http://www.markmessier.net/misc/4Runner/CIMG0469.JPG

I know that at least toyota engine components (22RE) are not THAT hard to find , but our specialty offroad parts would be very hard to get our hands on. Fortunately, you break a lot less parts in mud than on rocks.

Good luck, and if you find a good 4×4 club in CR, post it here.

Charlie

Not sure if you´ll be in the Central Valley ( San Jose ), but the owners of a cantina ,in Sabanilla – Montes de Oca , called La Bamba have an offroad club – a big excursion they do annually. I seen videos of the trucks and terrain, sounds like what you are describing . If I have a chance to stop in there , I´ll ask them about it. If your in this area, ask for La Bamba, everyone knows where it is, great local hangout.

fredo

Hi Charlie, Our planned itinerary is arrive 8/15 eve, stay in downtown San Jose at Hotel Don Carlos 8/15-16-17, transfer to Hotel Villa Bonita 8/18. Lundquist tour 8/19-8/22. Then “who nows where?” (scouting) in CR 8/23 – 8/28. How far is La Bamba from downtown San Jose? My best shot at stopping by there is probably the second half of next week, 8/16-8/18.

Thanks for the heads-up,
    Fred Olmstead

Charlie

Sabanilla is east of San Jose, towards San Pedro, go a bit north – east. very close to San Jose. You have to ask once you get in Sabanilla where it is . I actually may be going there around the time your free 8/16 – 8/18. My cousin is flying in 8/15, and we usually make a point to have a few rounds at this local hangout. If you like we can meet you ( evening though ). FYI, it is a very small cantina, locals , but great atmoshphere / food. Very cheap, you pay locals’ prices not touristy prices.

Otherwise, I can ask them about the details and post it here.

fredo

Hi Charlie… I’m in san jose for a couple days at the Hotel Don Carlos. After that I’ll be out of town for a couple days, then 8/23-8/29, who knows? Please post any info you have,

Fred

Edited on Aug 17, 2007 13:28

Charlie

Well I talk to Mario ( one of the owners ) and he said they do anywhere from 1 to few offroad events, but they don’t have pre set dates. It depends how many drivers they can get together and then they just go. This probably is no help , but maybe check them out when you do move here to add your contact phone so they can call you when they do something.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.