Obama CANCELS trip to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Obama CANCELS trip to Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ratus

President Obama cancels Costa Rica trip over pothole, bridge concerns

Obama

April 1st, 2013 (InsideCostaRica.com) The White House confirmed today that President Barack Obama has canceled a planned May visit to Costa Rica due to concerns over the number and depth of the country’s thousands of potholes.

The statement also mentioned concerns that the numerous Bailey bridges used throughout the country may not be able to support the weight of the presidential limousine and motorcade, which is heavily armored.

“The potholes could become a real security issue, as the motorcade would be forced to swerve all over the road,” a Secret Service agent said on the condition of anonymity.

“In addition, holes large enough to swallow the presidential limousine have opened up on major highways there in the past. It is a risk we simply cannot afford to take,” the agent continued.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Jee! Jee!

If only it were true … “…large enough to swallow the presidential limousine….”

Scott

lvc1028

[quote=”ratus”]President Obama cancels Costa Rica trip over pothole, bridge concerns

Obama

April 1st, 2013 (InsideCostaRica.com) The White House confirmed today that President Barack Obama has canceled a planned May visit to Costa Rica due to concerns over the number and depth of the country’s thousands of potholes.

The statement also mentioned concerns that the numerous Bailey bridges used throughout the country may not be able to support the weight of the presidential limousine and motorcade, which is heavily armored.

“The potholes could become a real security issue, as the motorcade would be forced to swerve all over the road,” a Secret Service agent said on the condition of anonymity.

“In addition, holes large enough to swallow the presidential limousine have opened up on major highways there in the past. It is a risk we simply cannot afford to take,” the agent continued.

[/quote]

Are you kidding me? I have never heard of anything so idiotic. Potholes swallowing a limo? Guess he needs to be careful when traveling to places in the US, too…there are many sinkholes there.

Kwhite1

[quote=”Scott”]Jee! Jee!

Scott

[/quote]

Darn the bad luck…..you don’t need him there breathing up the air anyway.

jmcbuilder
    Participant

[quote=”kwhite1″][quote=”Scott”]Jee! Jee!

Scott

[/quote]

Darn the bad luck…..you don’t need him there breathing up the air anyway.[/quote]

I had a discussion with a friend several years ago about the driving conditions in Costa Rica. After the all the arguments were made I think it was pretty even. Potholes keeping Obama out tips the scale. Keep the potholes. HAHAHA
    There wasn’t any money to steal, he’s hunting richer grounds.

Kwhite1

[quote=”jmcbuilder”][quote=”kwhite1″][quote=”Scott”]Jee! Jee!

Scott

[/quote]

Darn the bad luck…..you don’t need him there breathing up the air anyway.[/quote]

I had a discussion with a friend several years ago about the driving conditions in Costa Rica. After the all the arguments were made I think it was pretty even. Potholes keeping Obama out tips the scale. Keep the potholes. HAHAHA
    There wasn’t any money to steal, he’s hunting richer grounds.[/quote]

Maybe we should start creating potholes all around the place? I wonder if it would keep Wash DC away? I can dodge and weave the potholes much better than a limo! Way easier in a Jeep!

Sailor

And I have a bridge to sell you in Tibet! I’m sure he could easily obtain several of the CIA helicopters available throughout Costa Rica.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”kwhite1″] I can dodge and weave the potholes much better than a limo! Way easier in a Jeep![/quote]

Actually, the Secret Service limos and the drivers who drive them are far more capable than any commercially available Jeep when it comes to obstacle avoidance. That would not hold true off-road, of course, but anyplace the President is likely to go those vehicles and their drivers are in a league of their own.

You’re welcome to ask me how I know . . .

VictoriaLST

[quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”kwhite1″] I can dodge and weave the potholes much better than a limo! Way easier in a Jeep![/quote]

Actually, the Secret Service limos and the drivers who drive them are far more capable than any commercially available Jeep when it comes to obstacle avoidance. That would not hold true off-road, of course, but anyplace the President is likely to go those vehicles and their drivers are in a league of their own.

You’re welcome to ask me how I know . . .
    [/quote]

Ok, I’ll bite. HOW?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

During my undergraduate days at George Washington University, I worked as a lot boy at Capitol Cadillac (then located at 22nd St. NW and Ward Place but now in Greenbelt, MD). Capitol serviced all the White House and State Department limousines, among those of other notables. All those cars were stored overnight in totally unsecured lots — no fences, no guards, no nuthin’.

The government vehicles had little in common with their lookalikes mechanically. Their engines, transmissions, suspensions, etc were “high performance” on a level you cannot imagine. I’d put any one of them up against any Jeep except, of course, in off road situations which they were not designed for.

The Secret Service had one rather rattty 1954 Cadillac limo that we’d see from time to time. Turned out, it was an armored personnel carrier that they included in presidential motorcades. It probably carried twenty agents and, even when we had it in for service, it was packed with .45 caliber pistols, Thompson submachine guns, sawed-off shotguns, .12 gauge flare pistols, and other armament meant to subdue any attack on POTUS. And they were all loaded.

This was in the days of the Weather Underground when, you would think, the Secret Service would have been more cautious.

VictoriaLST

Must be why Homeland Security just ordered all that ammo 🙂

johnrltr

Hey, ya’ll,

I’m guessin’ by now there are lots of folks on this site who are aware they’ve been April-fooled. 🙄

–John

[quote=”ratus”]President Obama cancels Costa Rica trip over pothole, bridge concerns

Obama

[/quote]

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]Must be why Homeland Security just ordered all that ammo :)[/quote]

No, but this might explain it . . .

http://www.thereporter.com/opinion/ci_22910772/rest-easy-about-ammo-purchase

VictoriaLST

Yuppers – April 1 is just fun is all.

Oh, there ain’t no gold in the river either.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Ah, but the drones are real. Be very afraid.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.