no posts on 24-feb

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum no posts on 24-feb

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    costaricabill
    Participant

well, I tried to stay up to 11:59pm last night to save WLCR from a full day with no posts to the forum. Needless to say, when I woke up at 2:15am on the couch I was a bit p#**ed off that I had fallen asleep!
    I guess everyone is too involved with the news on the middle east and soon to be $6.00/gallon gas in CR! But I’ll take that over $5.00/gallon gas in the U.S.
    crb

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Lighten up on yourself, bill, if a retired guy can’t fall asleep on the couch and wake up in the middle of the night, what’s old age for anyway?

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricabill”] soon to be $6.00/gallon gas in CR! But I’ll take that over $5.00/gallon gas in the U.S.
    crb[/quote]

Those in the U.S. don’t realize that subsidies to the petroleum industry only hides the true cost. If those subsidies are eliminated drivers are in for pump shock when they pay what we pay here.

sprite

I have been reading more reports that US dollars may be replaced as the standard currency for petroleum purchases. The exclusive use of US dollars as the world wide currency for petroleum sales is what has subsidized our gas prices in the US. Since the Fed just keeps pulling more and more new US dollars from thin air (quantitative easing), we get our gas cheaper than anyone else. Guess what happens what the gravy train stops? (and it will soon)

I guess I better plan on leaving my Toyota FJ Cruiser behind when I move to CR. At 17 MPG, I would be paying $15 for each trip to San Ramon in that vehicle. The Dai-shit-su 4X4 is looking better and better.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Ach! Stop whining!

Have you seen the prices my old Dad’s paying for “petrol” in the UK?

The UK average price for unleaded gas is 585 pence per gallon which is US$9.41

The UK average price for super unleaded gas is 619 pence per gallon which is US$9.95

There’s a difference in the US and Imperial gallon (and I’m in too much of a rush to look it up) but however you look at it, it’s way more expensive than the US.

[ http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuel/index.html ]

sprite

The imperial gallon is 20% more than the US gallon. My brother, who lives in Ireland, has informed me of the high cost he pays there. We are truly spoiled rotten in the States as far as gas prices go. But this is coming to an abrupt end pretty damned soon as far as I can see.

costaricabill
    Participant

truly amazing…
    I write a simple note about falling asleep on the couch and within 5-6 new posts, we have covered the international costs and governmental subsidies of a gallon of petrol (US & Imperial, not the beer)!

waggoner41

[quote=”sprite”] I guess I better plan on leaving my Toyota FJ Cruiser behind when I move to CR. At 17 MPG, I would be paying $15 for each trip to San Ramon in that vehicle. The Dai-shit-su 4X4 is looking better and better.[/quote]

I bought a 1986 Nissan Vanette here and the motor is only 1200CC but it will climb a hill better than my light in the back-end Datsun pickup and the mileage isn’t bad. The newer ones are probably more gas conscious than that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.