No kidding, we’re on our way to Costa Rica!

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum No kidding, we’re on our way to Costa Rica!

• This topic has 1 reply, 18 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Vmc.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”RaggedJack”]David, that weather sounds PERFECT! I want to live right next door to YOU![/quote]

You’re half right, Ragged. The weather is pretty near perfect. The house next door? Not so much.

raggedjack

[quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”RaggedJack”]David, that weather sounds PERFECT! I want to live right next door to YOU![/quote]

You’re half right, Ragged. The weather is pretty near perfect. The house next door? Not so much.
    [/quote]

OK, down the street,around the block, whatever works.

Vmc

[b]12 days and counting![/b]

maravilla

just in time for rainy season!!!

Vmc

[quote=”maravilla”]just in time for rainy season!!![/quote]

Here’s to hoping the rainy season is gentle in Nicoya.

kwaltersx3

[quote=”vmc”]Hola everyone!

I know some of you with whom we’ve communicated over the last about 4 years of trying to get our act together doubted we would ever make it, and frankly, we had our own doubts from time-to-time.

Well, NO MORE…..LOL

We have a house just north of Playa Negra, and South of Lola’s, and will be sitting on the beach by April 26th!

We’ll get settled and once we are comfortable with getting around and all the fun associated with it, we hope to meet some of the fantastic people who have fielded our questions with glee and encouraged us along the way!

Keep a candle in the window….hold on to your hats………..We’re on our way!

Pura Vida!

Dan.[/quote]

Wow go you! I have decided as a single mom of 2 (14 & 10) to do the dame. We have no ties here in the US and I want out of the rat race.
    I am visiting for the first time in June….I have kind of mapped out where I want to visit that I am considering where we will settle. I am traveling the Ncoya Penn which seems to speak to me. maybe while I am passing through our families could meet and you can share any info that you may have with me.
    I plan to come home and sell everything we own and only come back with our suit cases packed.
    Can’t wait for this adventure….anything you can share with me would be great. I will be traveling in June by myself!
    Congrats on your move!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Have you fully investigated the residency requirements for long-term living in Costa Rica? In brief, you’ll either need a lifetime-guaranteed income (typically from a governmental source or an acceptable lifetime annuity) which pays $1,000US or more per month or else be prepared to deposit $150,000US in a Costa Rican bank.

Too, you will not be legally permitted to work in Costa Rica at any job that might be held by a citizen until you have Permanent Residency which can easily take five years or longer to acquire. And even then, Costa Rican wages are ridiculously low as compared to those in the U.S. and Canada.

Some play the “perpetual tourist” game leaving the country every ninety days, but you can never be assured that you will be given a new ninety day visa upon your return and you could be denied reentry altogether.

Vmc

[quote=”kwaltersx3″][quote=”vmc”]Hola everyone!

I know some of you with whom we’ve communicated over the last about 4 years of trying to get our act together doubted we would ever make it, and frankly, we had our own doubts from time-to-time.

Well, NO MORE…..LOL

We have a house just north of Playa Negra, and South of Lola’s, and will be sitting on the beach by April 26th!

We’ll get settled and once we are comfortable with getting around and all the fun associated with it, we hope to meet some of the fantastic people who have fielded our questions with glee and encouraged us along the way!

Keep a candle in the window….hold on to your hats………..We’re on our way!

Pura Vida!

Dan.[/quote]

Wow go you! I have decided as a single mom of 2 (14 & 10) to do the dame. We have no ties here in the US and I want out of the rat race.
    I am visiting for the first time in June….I have kind of mapped out where I want to visit that I am considering where we will settle. I am traveling the Ncoya Penn which seems to speak to me. maybe while I am passing through our families could meet and you can share any info that you may have with me.
    I plan to come home and sell everything we own and only come back with our suit cases packed.
    Can’t wait for this adventure….anything you can share with me would be great. I will be traveling in June by myself!
    Congrats on your move![/quote]

As long as you’re good to go, like David wrote, you’ll probably be glad you got out when you did……David has been around quite a while and his advice is always good.

We’re coming to Playa Avellanas just north of Playa Negra…..We love the beach, but hate perpetual heat, so for now, this looks ideal for us. Keep in touch…we’d love to meet and share any of our limited information, but then, by the time you get there, we may be up to speed ourselves.

Vmc

One week from TODAY (Saturday the 28th.)we’ll be on the ground and headed for our new home…….We’re all pretty pumped…..can’t wait to got on that beach!

sueandchris

Dan: Congratulations!!!!

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”vmc”]One week from TODAY (Saturday the 28th.)we’ll be on the ground and headed for our new home…….We’re all pretty pumped…..can’t wait to got on that beach![/quote]
    Apart from the humanoid obstacles to a future fruitful life in Costa Rica are the natural ones: volcanoes & earthquakes. The former spout off meaningfully every few decades; the latter hundreds of times a year [mostly unfelt, except for seismographs]. Fortunately the big ones are fairly rare. May is the 102d anniversary month of the destruction of Cartago. A book about it is free as PDF, web, or kindle at http://archive.org/details/cartagoearthquak00fern. Ironically, the newly completed Palace of Justice, funded by Andrew Carnegie as earthquake proof, was totally destroyed. It is interesting reading.
    It’s all due to the arguments between the Cocos Plate and the Caribbean Plate. “Whaddaya gonna do?” So says my cousin in San Francisco who lives atop the San Andreas Fault. As if future pensionados don’t have enough other cuitas.

maravilla

had i been aware of the frequency of small earthquakes, i might have reconsidered my move here. they were part of the reason i left Alaska and California to live in Colorado. If you’ve ever gone through a 9.2 eathquake, then i don’t need to explain further. and then there were all the big ones in california in the 70’s and 80’s. luckily construction standards are strict enough here that most recent houses are pretty much earthquake proof, unless of course the ground opens up and swallows your house. i’ve been through a few dozen noticeable ones up here in the highlands, but to date, i have not lost any glassware or even had anything tip over. but every time we have one i have to wonder when or if it will stop. the one in Alaska last nearly 5 miinutes — we didn’t even run out the door until we were at least 60 seconds into it. but there are disasters everywhere, some worse than other. i’ll take this over hurricanes and tornados!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Seems to me that we see more deaths in Florida each year caused by “natural disasters” than we’ve seen in Costa Rica in the last 50…

I ain’t goin’ nowhurr!

Scott

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]Seems to me that we see more deaths in Florida each year caused by “natural disasters” than we’ve seen in Costa Rica in the last 50…
    Scott
    [/quote]

Given age demographics in FL, that’s true if you include heart attacks as a ‘natural disaster’. 8)

VictoriaLST

Welcome home 🙂

If you get tired of the heat, come up and visit us in Nuevo Arenal.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.