Nissan mechanic

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Nissan mechanic

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    mediatica

Hi all. Hopefully you can help with my problem. So, we have moved to Costa Rica a fews weeks ago and I shipped my car in. It’s a Nissan Xterra 2006 model. I went to the Nissan Dealership in La Sabana and they told me they won’t service my car because it’s American. Apparently the style they have in CR is different than mine. Even having said that, I don’t understand why they don’t want my money. Doesn’t make sense. Anyhow, anyone have any info on where I could go to get my Nissan serviced?? Thanks!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Try Mauricio – the ‘best car mechanic in Costa Rica’ who has his shop up in Heredia somewhere. Mauricio Artavia 849-7244, 386-8669, 236-9348 He does NOT speak English very well but I believe his wife does.

To be frank, I have no idea where it is because he always comes here to Escazu, picks up my car (Toyota), takes it away does the RTV or whatever service or repairs and brings it back in the afternoon.

The car is always immaculately clean when he brings it back too…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

dsullivan

Good information to keep. I’m writing that name down. Thanks, Scott. I have a folder in which I keep all my Costa Rica information. The Chiropractor you recently talked about is in that folder, and now Mauricio Artavia “The best Car Mechanic in Costa Rica” is there as well! These are little jewels of information. Very important people to know.

On this subject of cars, I’ve heard that the duty taxes on cars from the U.S. are extremely high when bringing them to Costa Rica. For those of us who can’t really afford to pay for a car twice, would you recommend buying a car there, and if so, where would one go, and are the Toyotas the best deal? We had thought about driving down there in Paul’s Jeep, but are re-thinking this avenue due to the stories we’ve heard on prices one pays bringing it into the country.

Andrew
    Keymaster

There are various arguments but I would suggest that buying a car here is the safest bet and certainly less hassle.

I bought a Toyota RAV which is a perfect car for this country and the dealership (Purdys) is enormous and has been just terrific.

It’s difficult to talk about “best deals’ though since the import taxes are high on some cars. My Toyota RAV cost about US$31,000 in 1999 so it’s a lot more than you would pay in the USA.

But buying a ‘popular’ car in Costa Rica from a well established dealership means that you won’t have problems with parts or service.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I would echo everything Scott has said and add this: In September of 2006, we bought a new 2006 Hyundai Terracan diesel automatic from Lachner y Saenz in San Jose. The car cost about $34,000 out the door. Friends bought a similar 2007 two months ago for about $35,000.

We looked at Toyota and Nissan diesel SUV-type vehicles and were astounded by the prices (for new cars, that is). The Hyundais are much less expensive. And the quality appears to be about as good. Data from the U.S. reflects that Hyundai has come way, way up in quality in the past three or four years and that has been our experience.

Our Terracan has required no service or repairs whatsoever aside from regular oil and filter changes, air and in-cabin filters, tire rotations, etc. Now, with about 27,000km, it remains perfect. And we get 18 or 19 miles per gallon on diesel fuel which costs about 63% the cost of regular gasoline.

Consider Hyundai. As compared to Scott’s $31,000 RAV4 bought in 1999, they’re a heckuva deal.

And my guess is that what a 2006 Xterra costs in the U.S., plus shipping and Customs duty, would buy you a diesel Terracan and leave plenty of change.

Edited on Nov 15, 2006 07:26

wmaes47

Here is a horror story waiting to happen.

Stay away from the Great Wall vehices. The pricing looks tremendous conparative to other vehicles. I talked with several people who have had nothing but problems since their purchase of a new Great Wall vehicle. By the name, you can tell where it is manufactured.

Drive Safe
    Bill Maes

bradbard

Israel?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Arizona?

*Lotus

China!

harvcarp

Leave it to Bradbard!!!!! ):

Short post though!

dsullivan

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply. I’ll definitely put that information in “my folder” as well. Yes, a Toyota RAV, or something like that,sounds like a good idea. We’ll check with Purdy’s next time we’re there and meet up with them for future needs. It’s also good to know there won’t be problems with parts or service when buying from an established dealer.

Diane

dsullivan

Hi David,

Thanks for the response and valued information. I didn’t realize cars were that expensive there. Wow! But, I see your point…may as well buy one that is new and gets good gas mileage for about the same price as a used Toyota. Hmmm. How are the parts and services departments at the Lachner y Saenz in San Jose? Have you experienced any problems getting parts…or maybe you haven’t had to deal with that at this point since yours is relatively new.

I drive a 2005 Suzuki and love it. It’s a very comfortable car and gets good gas mileage. You know…it may be less expensive to ship it down and pay the duty fees on it than buying a new car there. ??? I have to look into that. I know it’s several thousand to ship…but am not sure what the duty taxes are there.

Gee, the newer Toyotas must be sky high! Well this is all something to think about. Paul and I will have to mull this over. We’ll definitely have to go in and meet the people in various established car parks next time we’re down for a visit, and then check out duty fees on cars.
    I appreciate your feedback!

Diane

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Diane, service at Lachner y Saenz has been good and bad. The cost and the work have been just fine, and the service advisors have been very helpful. The downside has been that, even for an oil change, you have to make an appointment AND YOU HAVE TO LEAVE THE CAR ALL DAY! Their service facility is in La Uruca which is on the outskirts of San Jose. We’ve resorted to dropping the car off and then taking a taxi downtown to kill the day. It has not been a good experience, as the attractions of downtown San Jose don’t keep us amused for long.

For routine maintenance (oil and filter changes) we’ve decided to have the work done here in Grecia. Lachner y Saenz seems to have parts outlets in many outlying towns, so getting the necessary filters has been easy.

The other downside is that Lachner y Saenz seems to want to do a very great deal of very expensive service at very close intervals. This is a common practice at U.S. dealerships, too. When I’ve been there, I’ve told them to change the oil and filter and let it go at that. Even then, the car’s getting more service than the owner’s manual calls for.

A thing you should be aware of is that the Suzuki Grand Vitara or whatever which you bought in the U.S. is not necessarily the Grand Vitara that is sold here. The exterior may look the same and the interior may look the same, but the mechanical components in between can be very different. I think that’s why our member with the Xterra was turned away from Agencia Datsun when she went there for service. This is certainly true of other brands (Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, etc), as well.

Oh! And there is a large Suzuki dealership where a friend of ours got service on his car and felt that he was treated very well.

dsullivan

Hi David,

Thanks for all the info. I know what you mean about taking your car in for one thing, and when you pick it up they’ve charged you for a bunch of other things you didn’t ask to have fixed. Yep! A common occurance everywhere I guess. Also, what you said about leaving your car all day and catching a cab downtown. I feel the same…there’s only so much that can keep one interested downtown. Downtown’s anywhere don’t much appeal to me.

What you mentioned about the mechanical components being different in CR vehicles was something I was wondering about. When we’ve rented cars for our vacations down there, they usually don’t have the power of the US versions. Hmmm. That’s something to consider…because if we did bring ours down, maybe we wouldn’t be able to get it serviced properly. So it may be that we’ll have to buy there.

I have two cousins living in CR, one in Petrero and one in Nosara. They both bought used Mitsubishi Monteros and love them. They are pretty old, but run very well. There must be Mitsubishi dealerships there as well.

Ok, well with this new knowledge, Paul and I can focus better on what to do. Thanks for your help, David.

Diane

mediatica

After going through what I went through, I would buy my car here. The only thing is that my car IS better quality. The other poster was right. Same car, but different standards, and overall quality. I did bring my car in again the other day and the service manager was nice enough to help me solve my issue. Nice guy. That was at the Agencia Datsun in La Sabana. ALso, in Liberia there is an authorized service center in downtown liberia next to Burger King, just an FYI for those of you with Nissans who live at the beach.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.