Nicoya Penninsula

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Nicoya Penninsula

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MDesabrais

I was wondering what expats think of the Nicoya Peninsula? What is the climate like there at 2,500 feet? I am particularly curious about the town of Nicoya? I have also read that significant earthquakes are expected in the Nicoya area in the near future. Is there any truth to that? What is the history of earthquake activity there?

ticopaz

Hi there,
    Nicoya is a very nice area. A more laid back country feel. Temperature in the hills would be fresh in the evenings and mornings with some breezes, but you can still expect some very warm daytime temperatures. Especially in the dry season. Nicoya is also home to many centurions. One of the few places in the world to boast such.

Earthquakes… well, as I understand there is a major fault line that runs through the southern part of the peninsula in the Cobano area. There was a large quake in the 90’s there if I recall correctly. I do not know for sure near the town of Nicoya. You can be assured the earth can and will move in Adventure Land…

Best wishes in your search.

grb1063

Anywhere you live on the Pacific coast, you will have earthquakes. There is nothing you can do to stop them. There is no acurate way to predict them. Your house has to be built to withstand them, which is challenging in Costa Rca unless you have some knowledge of seismic construction methods. The Nicoya peninsula is beautiful and my favorite place in the country. Anywhere south of Samara is less developed and the gulf of Nioya side is the least developed. The canton of Cobano is my personal favorite. The weather can get warm and it can rain like nothing I have ever seen, but all in all it is as close to ideal as you can get with a range of 75-95.

tomstew1

I have traveled around the NP basically from Nicoya to the West, South and East looking for property to buy. I can offer you my opinion.

I really like it for many reasons as follows:
    The area East of Nicoya heading to the ferry is beautiful…in certain areas you would think you were in the California coastal area south of SF.. Alot of green even in the dry season, not many gringos and the roads are good.

South of Nicoya around Carmona is like going back in time. It is not uncommon to see a cart full of lumber on the highway behind a pair of Oxen. It seems like going back in time 75 yrs or so. Once you leave Carmona roads are terrible going up in the mountains towards (westward)Los Angeles/San Francisco area, but when you are up there the views are to die for. You honestly feel like an explorer more so that a expat on a journey.

West from Nicoya takes you to some beach areas and these areas are beautiful also.

Nicoya is a crowded town; kind of a regional epicenter with most everything you need. I would not want to live there just due to its location..I like the ocean/water and I am a fisherman and its too far to travel to fish (couple of hours to Garza Beach)…Garza Beach is nice, but damned expensive.

In general it is drier even in the rainy season. The mountains do not seem as high, but the Cerro Azul mountain range is plenty tall to get in to good weather (daytime high temp) if the heat and humidity is not your thing.

Overall I like the area, I just couldn’t find the right spot at the right price or I would have bought there…I ended up buying on the Pacific Coast just south of Quepos…I like it there also…

orcas0606
    Participant

[quote=”ticopaz”]Hi there,
    Nicoya is a very nice area. A more laid back country feel. Temperature in the hills would be fresh in the evenings and mornings with some breezes, but you can still expect some very warm daytime temperatures. Especially in the dry season. Nicoya is also home to many centurions. One of the few places in the world to boast such.

Earthquakes… well, as I understand there is a major fault line that runs through the southern part of the peninsula in the Cobano area. There was a large quake in the 90’s there if I recall correctly. I do not know for sure near the town of Nicoya. You can be assured the earth can and will move in Adventure Land…

Best wishes in your search.[/quote]

Maybe I am slow but what is a centurion???

Johnhw2

Maybe I am slow but what is a centurion???[/quote]

People over 100 years of age. This region is one of the places in the world with a large concentration of such people.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

centurion: The leader of a 100-man group in the ancient Roman army.

I think the word we’re looking for is: centenarian — a person who has lived 100 years or longer.

tomstew1

David is the winner!

I thought I would be 100 by the time I got off the mountain leading from Los Angeles to Carmona….Kind of a scary ride!
    TS

ticopaz

[quote=”orcas0606″][quote=”ticopaz”]Hi there,

Best wishes in your search.[/quote]

Maybe I am slow but what is a centurion???[/quote]

People over 100 years of age.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.