Nice Article – Costa Rica Culture

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Nice Article – Costa Rica Culture

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    rebaragon

Never Alfred, but please bring your wife so that her and I could go see the art or I can introduce her to my wonderful friend Cristina who lives right in Alajuela while you guys talk..This way you can be assured she would get to know a very nice CR family, have a wonderful time and I can be assured to still be alive to enjoy another glorious Costa Rican day…

Alfred

Sounds like a plan. I’m sure my wife would enjoy having someone to talk with too. Actually, I think face to face we all would manage to have a good time.

rebaragon

If your wife is anything like you, I’m sure we would have a wonderful time with my friend who is a very charming and funny lady. You’re right, stranger things have been known to happen, nice people turn mean and not so nice could also choose to be nice…who knows, life is always about options and full of possibilities… 🙂 Pura Vida Alfred!

Aaronbz

Hey, the more the merrier. See you in April.

diego

Yeah, well all this nicity nice – is nice – but I am still waiting for a reply from the woman who wrote the biased article. Regarding my post, which she indicated in her post that I have no grip – o-contrare – I have quite the grip and she needs to rexamine her rosy little POV.

Anyways – silence is the voice of complicity – so I guess she sees that she is “gripless” and needs to examine her own hold on things before rejecting others POV in her contradicting ways –

The crhomebuilder article was the “Must Read” article. No such biased opinion there.

And I am sure some peolpe will consider what they say, and when they say it, and who they are saying it to – when talking to others face to face. You know. like Ticos do.

rebaragon

Well, this person wholeheartedly thanks some people very much for that 🙂

Aaronbz

I see it as a matter of trade offs. I know some Nicaraguans and they are very straightforward. Nothing wrong with that. On the other hand there is a lot of violence and bloodshed in Nicaragua’s history, and this could explain why. On the other hand the Costa Ricans seem historically and presently more concerned with peace and building a peaceful and just society. Costa Ricans are also very polite. To some this might seem fake or passive agressive. Nicaraguans (and Americans, and maybe certain Canadians, and also an awful lot of Germans and Dutch I have known) can be very blunt and straightforward. Some people find this kind of behaviour rude and offensive.
    Me? I try to appreciate both. We’re not all alike. We all have something to offer out of our diversity as cultures and as individuals. Anyway, that’s my last word on the subject. Looking forward to meeting y’all. See you in April. Pura Vida!

diego

Was that attempted humor? / Or would those “some people” be you?

I believe in unity through diversification. There is strength to be found in unifying differences. Most think the concept of yin yang is all about polar opposites. It’s not. It’s about unification of opposites.

Most see the yin yang symbol in its static form as a line drawing. What they do not realize is the concept of yin yang is dynamic – moving. Imagine the symbol on a pinwheel spinning. Instead of seeing black and white (polar opposites) you see grey, which represents the blending or unification of opposites.

Someday everybody will be a shade of grey – so to speak (actually a light brown skin color) – so we live in a wonderful time when there are still different colors and cultures to appreciate – it won’t be that way forever.

I wholeheartedly agree that both the indirect and direct approaches are welcomed – but can there not be a time to use either one. Why rely on one approach? I was merely pointing out the differences.

I could bore you with the similarities – but you probably couldn’t make it to the end of my posts – you know like some of the big fancy four syllable word posts that the minority of people post on this site. Makes me sleepy just thinking about them – nightly-night.

Oh – and Alfred would not have anything to beat on his monitor about – can you imagine??? The good Diego is boring and all the girls profess to like the Good Diego better (This is where the sly- face goes – see me grinning?) – but us bad boys know the truth – now don’t we ladies??? (This is where the wolf-that-ate-the-bunny face goes – notice the look of satisfaction).

One last thing – I don’t buy into the straightforward aggresive thing and the passive non-agresive thing. The use of both approaches and their results depend upon intent.

rebaragon

My gosh, look at that, we may agree more than expected. I would hope the “someones” would be all gathered. It’s so true most things are situational which is why attributing them to someone’s supposed character flaw is usually off the mark. Cubans are never going to be accused of not being straightforward, I agree again, it’s the intent that counts most. You can be straightforward and not call anyone nasty, hurtful names, something that was certainly expected in my very straightforward Cuban family and although the reverse could be said of less confrontational attitudes, they’re just a lot easier to deal with. BTW, although I do love to laugh and have been know to be funny from time to time, the gratitude was wholeheartedly genuine…. but in a pinch I could gather some hunter friends of mine to help any bunnies in distress in April 🙂 Pura Vida!

diego

Easier to beal with… hmm… If the confrontational attitudes clear the air. And the non-confront lets the problems fester with resentment – which is really easier to deal with. Non-confront is easier in a superficial way.

BTW – the bunnies wanting help??? Are you kidding?? Thet don’t want no stinken help – and I don’t want the competiton – Big pass there Cubana. Moros Y christianos anybody? How about a Crystal instead?

Alfred

Diego, Lets hope we never all become a shade of gray, or just a light brown-skinned race. It is the diversity which makes life interesting and enjoyable. And that unity you spoke of was a hope of 1960s social engineers. The Yin and Yang are constantly pulling and pushing, and the black never does mix with the white. Although being attracted to one another, they circle each other, get close, but are distinctly unique to themselves. This is the order of things. It is unnatural to have one world order where all peoples are blended to destroy their own culture in order to adopt another. It is our uniqueness that gives us what and who we are. If we were all blended, we would be like robots, all with the same thoughts, likes and dislikes. How boring.

I have no problem with interracial relationships and am not a super-nationalist, if that’s what anyone is thinking. I just prefer to enjoy the differences we have. I love the diversity, the give and take, but I still have the pride left in my own culture. Right or wrong, I was born into it without a choice. To be self-hating enough to want to give it up, or to complain about it so much that it makes you sick, will give you, (SIC)”Adgeda.”

On this board alone, I have met many from various backgrounds, races and cultures, and I think it’s great. There are few other places where I have this access to so many differing opinions and attitudes. We all interact and have a good time (for the most part) while doing it.

While I think it would be politically incorrect to give labels, we are all different and many of us fall into one category or another. Celebrate the differences, and enjoy the life we have.

Regarding the topic of this thread, I enjoyed Lois’s article immensely. She gave us a real, sensitive and informative piece of work, from her perspective. Diego’s perspective was just as valid because it was his. Some people maybe did not agree, but at least he has the honesty also to provide his observations. I respect both of them for that.

Pura Vida, y desea vivo la diferencia.

rebaragon

Alfred, I’m going to love meeting your wife and you one day. A pleasure to read…spoken like someone that not only has come in contact with different people from different cultures and places, but like someone that actually has enjoyed that experience….:)Que dicha, viva la diferencia!

diego

Some people really know the value of now-illegal marital therapy drugs used for recreational purposes. But I never thoufght I’d live to see them used on a CR forum – I have heard they are more commonly used at raves and swanky clubs.

Alfred

Rebeca, We’re looking forward to that possibility too.

Diego, Are you baiting again?

diego

Ho-ho-ho said the big bad wolf…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.