New Travel Restriction?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New Travel Restriction?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    costaricabill
    Participant

My wife and I have flown in & out of CR several dozen times over the past 6 years – often with only a one way ticket because we didn’t know how long we would be here.

Recently she flew from Tampa back to San Jose (on a one way ticket) and was detained in Immigration at the San Jose airport for over an hour because she did not have a ticket back out of CR.

She finally convinced them that she planned to fly out of Liberia to Atlanta in a few weeks. They then marched her to the Delta ticket desk where they demanded to see her reservation on the Liberia/Atlanta flight, even though she kept telling them that she had not yet made that reservation.

Finally she was allowed to exit the airport with many pardons by the folks that had detained her.

Is there a new (or old) travel restriction that requires a round trip ticket when entering CR? I can’t see how that could be enforced because there are so many other ways to exit CR – buses, cruise ships, private boats, regional airlines, renta car, travel with friends, etc.

ticopaz

Hi There,
    Every country that I know of will not allow a foreigner to arrive with a one way ticket. If you have done so before it is probably because the agent at check in did not notice. That is a standard operating procedure for international travel. If you are a non-US or European Union citizen you may also be required to show proof of hotel reservation and X amount of cash/ credit cards as well. Hope this helps.

lisle55

Hi. I have had this happen to me as well. Sometimes they check sometimes they don’t. When they do I just purchase a fully refundable one way ticket with my credit card and then just cancel it the next day. Easy way to get out of it without having to explain yourself and arguing. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.