New stuff on the torsalo

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New stuff on the torsalo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    VictoriaLST

Here I thought the torsalo (bot fly) had to bite you directly. Not so. The female glues her eggs to mosquitoes or on the underside of leaves. When a mammal comes in contact with the egg, the glue dissolves and the egg attaches to the new host.

Ewwwwww. Just another reason to use Off or something else with DEET. Not much I can do about leaves except wear long clothing, but mosquitoes? Give me Off any time.

waggoner41

We have known how Bot Fly larva developed for some time.

We have a dog who has been infested with them twice. He gets OFF spayed every day from June through September which the vet informs us is when Bot Flies are active in CR.

waggoner41

We have known how Bot Fly larva developed for some time.

We have a dog who has been infested with them twice. He gets OFF spayed every day from June through September which the vet informs us is when Bot Flies are active in CR.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We had also checked into this, after our [i]first[/i] experience with one of our dogs.

Our dogs get Endovet CES pills once per month, for parasites and ticks. We have not had bot fly problems for a long time. Probably the pills kill them when they just drill into the skin. All the years before, I have squeezed out hundreds of bot flies from my and other peoples dogs (and some from people too).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.