New Quepos to Dominical road info

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New Quepos to Dominical road info

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    pweisel

Greetings,

During my most recent trek to the Southern Pacific Zone, a Corcovado tour guide and Dominical native shared info he had about the slow development of this road. Don’t take this as gospel, but it’s the first I’ve heard on the subject from a Tico who seemed informed. He shared that the reason for the very slow development of the road is as follows:

1. The road lies almost entirely in the county which contains Jaco, Quepos & Manual Antonio.

2. Dominical is in the next county to the south, and is doing it’s best to develop but is slowed by the dificulties involved in getting there. Having the the 20 or so mile section paved would speed access dramatically, as it can take 2! hours to make the crossing during the wet season.

3. The monies have been approved to pave the road, but it’s up to the county it lies in to orchestrate the effort. That county is taking it’s time due to fear of losing business to Dominical and South.

4. Our local guide estimates that the road will actually be paved in 2010.

What I notice is that each year the northern cities get more touristy with hotels, etc., while the zone from Dominical & South is mostly being developed with luxury homes on acreage with views. It may sure add value to those homes when the tourist scene stays (relatively) to the north, but is easily accessable by a half hour drive to Manual Antonio.

Just my two cents worth.

Pete

sharrack

Most of those observations are well known but the governments use, allocation and dispersal of money seems to be in question as well.
    The money is there………..then it’s gone!
    Nothing gets done with any speed in Costa Rica and the filling of the potholes on Highway 1 west of San jose almost floored me!

Paving that road would be great but take a look at the bridges before and after it???? Good god…………one is completely gone and the other is a ramsshackled mix of metal plates ,wood and concrete blocks!
    2010 sounds about right but eveeryone down there is not so optomistic.
    Kenny S>

Edited on Aug 20, 2006 21:35

cindyc

Hi,

I just moved down here and I can tell you that the road is happening! They are not only putting new material and grading the old road from the Sevegre to Quepos, they are building an entirely new road through the palm orchards. There is a new bridge also at Portalon and a couple of the smaller bridges.

Cindy

CALADANA
    Participant

Hello Cindy,
    We have property in Matapalo and have been eagerly anticipating improvements on the Costanera.
    We have heard the same news from our friend who regularly travels the “road” between Quepos and Dominical. He sent us this message:

“Some of the most exciting news around the Central Pacific Coast is the start of work on the Costanera Highway South of Quepos. The Costanera is currently paved from the Panama border all the way to Dominical and then turns into a gravel road. Construction activity started several weeks ago and eventually this road will connect the Quepos / Manuel Antonio National Park area, which is the largest tourist destination in the country, to the Dominical region via an easy 30 minute drive. (Currently the drive takes approximately one hour). Matapalo/Portalon should only be a short 15 minutes from Quepos and 15 minutes from Dominical.”

What a MAJOR difference this will make for the area!!!!

Saludos,
    Coleman

cindyc

Hi Coleman,

I agree, what a welcome change! Just so you know, Quepos to Dominical is closer to two hours; we are staying in Matapalo right now and went south the other day and the road to Dominical is abysmal. Car sized pot holes.
    Of course it depends on how much of a maniac you are when driving. Where is your property?

CC

CALADANA
    Participant

Hello Cindy,

We were there in late June (06) and traveled the Costanera from Quepos to Dominical in a little over an hour (OUCH) in a HD Toyota Land Cruiser with an intrepid driver :-). We have 18 Acres on the mountainside in Matapalo (Las Fincas de Matapalo). The plan is to build in the next couple of years.

What’s your situation?

Saludos,
    Coleman

Edited on Aug 31, 2006 14:30

cindyc

We’re just finishing building two houses in Portalon; one house should be done in late October and the other maybe the first of the year. We have 12 acres and it’s very exciting. We’re just staying at a friends beach house in the mean time. Keep in touch, we’ll be neighbors soon enough!

CC

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.