New Passport number

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New Passport number

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chasebeagle2000
    Participant

I have had 2 Costa Rica Corporations (condo/car) about 7 years and recently my old passport expired and I have a new one with obviously a new number. I have been told I must register this new number in case I wanted to sell my condo or car. Has anyone gotten into this situation and if so where do I register new number? I don’t have CR divers license so that isn’t a problem. I can’t find this answer in the archives here but it may be there somewhere. Thanks for any help.

I am going to assume you have a Cedule for living here in Costa Rica. You original Cedule is tied to the old passport number. When you go to sell anything in the National Registry they will record it as against your Cedule number. Nobody here is going to the time and expense of updating anything for the new Passport. When I asked at BNCR here in Grecia about my new one in February, they said it would always stay the same, meaning my former passport that I made my application for residency November 2012. Now what will happen if you leave the country, then return, Immigration at SJO will want to see your Cedula and new passport. Mine got scanned when I came back into SJO December 1, 2016. I am certain it was done because they knew my old passport was expired so I was prepared to show it.

rosiemaji

Make sure you bring both you new and your old passport to Cost Rica. You can make the change at a National Registry office nearest to you. The National Registry will require you to get a notary (in Costa Rica, this is a lawyer with notary status) to write a sworn statement that the person with the old passport number is the same person as the one with the new passport number. You will pay the notary some money and take the documents back to the National Registry for recording.

chasebeagle2000
    Participant

Ok thanks. No I have no cedula because I am only here twice a year for 3 months Dec- March (less than 90 days) and 6 weeks July -Aug.Question- I have a lawyer friend here who will do the notary paper but I didn’t bring my old passport. Do you know if I have to take the old passport to Registry or is just the affidavit from the notary and new passport sufficient? Thanks for y’alls help.

rosiemaji

That is probably a question for your notary lawyer. Do you have a copy of your old passport anywhere? – in your car, on your computer, at your bank? – anything with your picture and your old number on it to link your new passport to your old one because of your picture? I think you will, at the very least, need to know your old passport number. If you have that, it is possible that your swearing before the notary that the person with the old number and the new number are the same person will be enough. I went through this when I was required to get a new plate for my car and the CR title was under my name but with my old passport number. I still had my old passport in my purse.

chasebeagle2000
    Participant

Ok thanks Rosie. I do know the number so I’ll try that and talk to my lawyer friend. I guess worst case scenario after I go home in March I’ll be back in July and can do it then .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.