New Kia Sorento or Hyundai Santa Fe

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New Kia Sorento or Hyundai Santa Fe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    pebo1

Looking at coming to live in CR next 2 or 3 months and most interested in one of these autos.

Appreciate any info for any that are familiar or own these cars.

I believe there are new car dealers also in San Jose. I also understand new cars will carry approx 25% duty on similar N. American prices. Tips or points appreciated.

Looking for comments thanks.

cfry

I was in San Jose The Santa Fe new price was $44,000.00 US.
    Hope that helps.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

A diesel automatic configuration is available in one or both of these cars. Friends who own a Kia diesel like it very much. And based upon a week’s rental of a Kia Sportage in 2005, I’d buy one of those in a heartbeat.

I drove a Kia Sportage and the equivalent Hyundai in the U.S. several years ago. They felt like very different cars. Maybe it was the suspension. Anyway, I’d be sure to drive both before I made up my mind.

soldier

cfry,

Did I read correctly, a new Santa Fe selling for $44,000? Even with the import tax, that seems excessive.

pebo1

Thanks David, was wondering if the new decree came into force would it make it more economic to import this type of car if there is a subsequent tax relief?

pebo1

[quote=”cfry”]I was in San Jose The Santa Fe new price was $44,000.00 US.
    Hope that helps.[/quote]

Thanks cfry, can you plse be more specific as to what model that quote was for? Is there a warranty in place similar to that of N. American versions?

cfry

[quote=”cfry”]I was in San Jose The Santa Fe new price was $44,000.00 US.
    Hope that helps.[/quote] Here are some of the prices I got. They all seem high to me.
    Hyndai Veracruz 50,000.00
    Toyota Hilux 38,000.00
    Subaru Tribeca 55,500.00

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Sadly (and I mean that sincerely), those prices do not seem high to me. I think they reflect the very high import duties imposed on all vehicles here.

When looking at new car prices, too, you must understand that there is only one importer of each brand, so there is no competition. If you want a new Hyundai, you’re going to buy it from Lachner y Saenz. If it’s a Nissan, you’ll be buying from Agencia Datsun. If it’s a Toyota, it’ll be Purdy Motors. An on it goes . . .

In 2005 when we were shopping for a car (a 4wd SVU, actually), diesel automatic Nissans and Toyotas were in the mid-$50,000 range. When I stumbled on the Hyundai Terracan (which we bought) we went for it. The Terracan was dramatically less expensive. We figured that, if it was a dog, at least we’d have three years of warranty to fall back on while we unloaded it. Actually, it’s the best vehicle I’ve owned.

All new vehicles come with a three-year 100,000km warranty. We’ve never had to exercise our warranty rights on the Terracan.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Because new cars are, indeed, so expensive here, my next one will be a one to three year-old Asian brand imported from the U.S. Cars of that age are taxed at the lowest rate, and a two or three year-old car will have taken a huge hit on depreciation.

pebo1

Thanks David, I feel the same way, I think importing using a customs broker in CR may be the way to go. I believe the duty is least on cars up to 3 yrs old but the book price is determined by the customs people.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

You’re right on both counts. Cars up to three model years old are taxed at the lowest rate, and Customs uses The Black Book to determine the vehicle’s value. My understanding is that mileage, condition, trim level, accessories, etc. are not taken into account when determining taxable value.

soldier

Being the eternal optimist, and, Costa Rica’s desire to attract baby boomers such as myself; hopefully, there will be duty free vehicle and household imports enacted. I will not be relocating full-time for another four years. It would be great if I could ship my current 4 X 4 Honda and Toyota SUVs without duty. If I am not mistaken, duty free vehicle imports were terminated in 1970 or 1971.

pebo1

Well I recall reading already on this site that there is a decree waiting to be signed that will remove these taxes. I don’t know how long it would take to enact however.

2bncr

what decree?

pebo1

[quote=”2BNCR”]what decree?[/quote]

RE: Pending Executive Decree
    Posted Monday, February 22, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    As Attorney Roger Petersen clearly stated in his article at [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/Costa_Rica_Declares_Baby_Boomers_To_Be_A_National_Priority.cfm ]

“We won’t know the extent of those incentives until the Executive Decree is signed and published.”

Any other opinion at this time is pure speculation…

Scott Oliver

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.