New Internet USB Connector from ICE

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New Internet USB Connector from ICE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    gkbiz

I heard that ICE has introduced a device that you plug into the USB port of your computer for internet connection. It communicates via satelite. This would be a great asset in areas not served by cable.Cost about $20.00/month. Anybody know any info about this or how to find out more if you do not speak Spanish?

costaricafinca
    Participant

This is a hit and miss service. So much so, that ICE has reduced the cost in many areas. As is the speed.
    First you need to purchase the device, and may have to ‘hunt’ for it. Check first at your local ICE office.

gkbiz

Could you explain “hit and miss service”. Is it beamed to a satellite or cell tower? Is it better than nothing as that is what I have? I am on the Pacific coast in Esterillos. More specific info would really help.

Larrythehat

[quote=”gkbiz”]Could you explain “hit and miss service”. Is it beamed to a satellite or cell tower? Is it better than nothing as that is what I have? I am on the Pacific coast in Esterillos. More specific info would really help.[/quote]

It is “better than nothing”, but just barely. Sometimes it is slower than dial-up. The cost is less than 8,000 colones per month.

raggedjack

I’d have to see one, but it sounds like a WI-FI dongle, and you would have to currently be in an area served by a WI-FI signal… It is for laptops which do not already have built-in WI-FI capability.

Unless they have invented something reallllly cool that I haven’t seen…….

costaricafinca
    Participant

Yes…it is better than nothing! [b]If[/b] it works for you, that is.
    We have tried to use it in a specific area in the house, with no luck, but in other areas of the property it works ‘OK’.
    It is beamed via cell towers as far as I know.

People we know, have had no luck at all, with it.

Yes, it is it “like a WI-FI dongle” as a friend mentioned.

gkbiz

My reception is nil in my house. Must walk up the hill to get some bars on the cell. (When the ladrones come, I plan to excuse myself to exit and make a quick phone call.)
    So if the transmission is through cell tower, I am out of luck. That is why I was asking if they were using satellite.

raggedjack

[quote=”gkbiz”]My reception is nil in my house. Must walk up the hill to get some bars on the cell. (When the ladrones come, I plan to excuse myself to exit and make a quick phone call.)
    So if the transmission is through cell tower, I am out of luck. That is why I was asking if they were using satellite.[/quote]

My computer experience began in 1980, but I have no knowledge of ICE’s equipment, systems or methods. I would have to assume it is pretty much what is used in the US. But, as usual, I could be wrong….

If ICE has begun offering broadband service over cell signal, it is probably using a USB device like you describe. Then it will work just like your cell phone: Good phone connection, ‘ok’ internet connection. Bad cell signal, no internet signal. AT&T and Verizon offer this service in the US, but it’s $60 or more per month, so if it works where you are, the price isn’t bad…

If it were something that ran from a satellite, it would require much more routing equipment than I have ever seen able to be put into a small USB device, have to be aimed just right, and be much more expensive.

I am trying to find something on ICE’s website, but my Spanish is all but nonexistent, and I don’t know how well they keep their site up to date…

raggedjack

I think I found what you are looking for… It is a cellular modem. It will work only as well (or probably just a little bit worse) than a cell phone will in a given location…

http://www.grupoice.com/swf/kolbi/data_card_e1556.html

costaricafinca
    Participant

Maybe you will have to move your home up the hill…:D

costaricafinca
    Participant

Just spoke with someone who showed me on his computer that he pays, nearly 20,000 col. per month for a faster connection. Another friend pays only 4,000 col as the cost was [b]lowered[/b], since ICE said the service was so slow….
    I would for anyone contemplating using this ‘kolbi data card’ suggest speaking directly to ICE, if you can get any connection at all.

waggoner41

[quote=”gkbiz”]My reception is nil in my house. Must walk up the hill to get some bars on the cell. (When the ladrones come, I plan to excuse myself to exit and make a quick phone call.)
    So if the transmission is through cell tower, I am out of luck. That is why I was asking if they were using satellite.[/quote]
    If they are using satellite wish yourself good luck from mid April to mid November. We had satellite TV for a year and when we had anything more than modest cloud cover the reception went out, usually in tha afternoon/evening when everyone was home.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I think you’re confusing apples and oranges, Waggoner. Satellite TV here in Costa Rica does, in fact, depend on a fairly clear view of the sky, but other satellite uplinks do not. Otherwise, most satellite-dependent retail would come to a halt.

The difference lies in the position of the satellite you’re trying to communicate with. If it’s relatively far away, as are the U.S. TV satellites, the atmospheric interference will be a serious obstacle. If they’re closer, as would be commercial satellites that facilitate retail, they wouldn’t be so affected.

In any event, ICE’s 3G Internet service is dependent upon their 3G cellular system, so communication to a satellite and weather interference are not relevant.

waggoner41

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]I think you’re confusing apples and oranges, Waggoner. Satellite TV here in Costa Rica does, in fact, depend on a fairly clear view of the sky, but other satellite uplinks do not. Otherwise, most satellite-dependent retail would come to a halt.

The difference lies in the position of the satellite you’re trying to communicate with. If it’s relatively far away, as are the U.S. TV satellites, the atmospheric interference will be a serious obstacle. If they’re closer, as would be commercial satellites that facilitate retail, they wouldn’t be so affected.

In any event, ICE’s 3G Internet service is dependent upon their 3G cellular system, so communication to a satellite and weather interference are not relevant.[/quote]

That would have been nice to know when I was dealing with Sky.

stevezim

I am using the 3G USB data card and am happy with it. The only problem I have had is it disconnects from time to time and I have to relog on. But it is the only option for me as I live in the mountains so I am happy to have something. And the cost is reasonable. Before I was using slow dialup and because of paying for the phone call to Rasca my phone bill was sky high and couldn’t receive calls while online. So this is way better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.