New Immigration Law

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New Immigration Law

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    sprite

Ometepe island looks like a pretty place although probably quite hot compared to the higher Costa Rican Central Valley area. I hope my fellow Americans flock to Nicaragua and forget about Costa Rica. As far as I can tell, there are already a few too many of us in CR anyway. I would like to settle down in Costa Rica with fewer fellow gringos causing rising prices oneverything from land to a loaf of bread. I think Costa Rica can survive without thousands more of us showing up in paradise.

sumaSal

quote “It isn’t even a law yet, so how can they enforce that increase?” The government already knows that this will be the new law and gave the ambassies instructions.

To avoid problems and deceptions……..

maravilla

If you’re going to build a $300k house, then you will be one of the gringos that they are complaining about; the ones who come and flash their wealth with big fancy houses that you will need to guard 24/7 from the ladrones who want what you have and will never get it except to steal it from a gringo rico!!

tracymartin

Mara, that’s a tad judgemental and after a year on this forum I would not build anything in CR. That would be a purchase price near the beach. And who would complain about me starting a small business and hiring a few locals?
    Maybe I was in the wrong restaurants, but I didnt see many “flashy” people on my visit, maybe they didnt wear their Jimmy Choo’s because of the rain and mud, but what I saw was smiling faces at the gringos and anger towards the Nicos.
    But it doesnt matter, I am making no plans until the final word comes down

maravilla

I wasn’t being judgmental; I was stating a fact, and don’t think for a minute there isn’t resentment towards gringos in Costa Rica, especially the ones who buy these big houses that cost more than a Tico will earn in his entire lifetime. Just because they are smiling to your face, doesn’t mean they don’t resent you when your back is turned. Remember, the Ticos are all about putting on a smiley face and avoiding confrontation. I doubt anyone would complain about your starting a business and giving some locals paying work, but it’s the overall picture that you present that will determine whether or not you are at risk based on the locals’ perception of your apparent wealth. Anyone who would wear Jimmy Choo’s in Costa Rica needs to have their meds adjusted!!

maravilla
    DavidCMurray
    Participant

Maravilla, are you, of all people, actually making allowance for the possibility, however remote, that someone should be on medication? The very notion, coming from you, is amazing. Maybe it’s you who needs a medication review.

(You didn’t really think I’d let this slip by, did you?)

maravilla

David, I was being facetious!! LOL You would have to be whacked in the head in the first place and your perceptions altered to wear Jimmy Choos and try to walk on a CR sidewalk or anywhere in the campo and slog through the mud. If I were bleeding from every orifice, I’d consider taking a pharmaceutical! Until then. . . .jejeje

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Would someone who knows what s/he is talking about please tell the rest of us what a Jimmy Choo is, please?

maravilla

Jimmy Choos (along with Manolo Blahniks) are $500 a pair stiletto high heels that many women have to have their toes operated on in order to wear! For those of us in el campo, Muck Shoes, Wellingtons, and Crocs are the standard of the day.

bogus1

Sprite,
    If I read it correctly, the proposed law states $2000 for you and $2000 for your spouse. Pretty steep for a married couple wouldn’t you think?

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.