New dog question

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New dog question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sueandchris

Here is another question regarding traveling with dogs in and out of Costa Rica. We are here in Costa Rica with a very small dog that can fly IN the cabin with us. Our vet here can get us the necessary documents to fly into the States.

Our visits to the States are short…usually two weeks and I would like to fly with our dog. In this case, can the documents used to travel with the dog FROM Costa Rica be used on the return flight because of the brevity of the visit? Does anyone have experience with this?

maravilla

the one person i know who took her dog to the states for ten days had to get all new paperwork to bring the dog BACK to costa rica.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The International Health Certificate issued by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service in the U.S. Department of Agriculture is only valid for ten days after your vet issues it. In that time, you must get it anointed by the USDA vet in your state capital, too.

So by the time you get it all bureaucratically massaged, fly to the U.S., and then prepare to return in two weeks, it will have expired and you’ll need a new one.

alewis

1. you will need a certificate of good health from your vet in CR and an authorization issued by the Cost Rican Ministry of Agriculture. (SENASA) Departamento de Cuarentena Animal)
    2. Normally, your CR veterinarian can take care of all the required authorizations. If he/she does not, you will also need to visit the Ministry of Agriculture directly to obtain the authorization. The Ministry (Senasa-Cuarentena Animal) is
    located in Barrial de Heredia, Jardines del Recuerdo, 2 Km West 400 meters South, Heredia. Phone 2260-8300 EXT 2024 or 2093 or 2260-9046
    3. You will need to take with you to the Ministry the following stamps, which can be purchased at most book/stationary stores: one “fiscal” stamp of colonies 25.00 and one “archivo stamp of colones 5.00.
    4. To pay the required fee, you must deposit colonial 4,717 (please confirm the correct amount with SENSA before depositing since amounts change frequently. A list of banks follows this info. If you will let me know where you bank, I will send you the info regarding that particular one. It takes approximately l to 2 working days for the Ministry of Agriculture to issue your authorization. This should be done within 30 days of your trip to the US. More info, contact Costa Rica Aphis Office. tel 506-2290-4548, fax (506)2296-3556.

alewis

By the way, I should have included this, the above info comes directly from the Embassy of the US, San Jose, CR. Good luck.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.