New Costa Rica election and effect on Concessions

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New Costa Rica election and effect on Concessions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    koty

We get so little information regarding the elections in Costa Rica. We heard that it really was close.

We would love some insight on who won, what they stand for and what the effect may be on the moratorium on granting of concessions may be.

Andrew
    Keymaster

There has been no official announcement yet, since the voting between Otton Solis and Oscar Arias has been so incredibly close – they are doing a recount by hand and we should have the results in another week.

You may wish to read 2006 Costa Rica Elections – What’s Happening? Written by attorney Jose Rafael Fernandez which you can find at:

Scott – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Ken

Scott,
    I’ve noticed concern that the rules for residency may be changing. I was hoping to become a resident by putting $60,000 in a CR Bank. I’m wondering what your feelings are about the possible changes.
    Should those of us planning to relocate later this year(early next year) be concerned? I noticed someone posted elsewhere this way of becoming a resident was going away August 2006. Please tell me that’s not true!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Not that I know of….

I do not keep up to date with the “possible changes” in the terms & conditions of residency and how they may be changing but my friend and attorney Roger Petersen, the author of The Legal Guide To Costa Rica has promised me a written update by the end of March on the residency situation for you all.

I will feature in in the newsletter as soon as it’s ready.

One little point on “possible changes” in Costa Rica – Sometimes those changes never happen, sometimes they do and sometimes when they do change, it’s not in the way that we had all thought. I have thankfully learned to just wait and see because worrying about them does you no good whatsoever. It makes life a lot more releaxed and laid back …

Scott

audears

I received some info from the consulate, and was told that (if the changes do go through as planned in August, 06) you would need 1000 dollars per month PER ADULT for 5 years in a CR bank ( or proof of income from investments, social security, business ventures, etc that equal 1000 dollars per adult per month)…it appears that the change is a ‘per person’ change vs. per couple. I think it said minors need 100 dollars per month verifiable income (or available cash) as well. (I don’t have it in front of me here at work). But like Scott says…who knows? A lot can happen between now and then.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.