New canal to be built?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New canal to be built?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    johnnyh

Is this just hot air coming from Presidente Ortega? Or is it a ploy to get gringo money not to build it?

According to La Nacion, the Panamanian government is sending assistance to Nicaragua. This does not make sense for Panama. Why would they want another canal to compete with them, specially since Panama is widening their canal.

Oh, before I forget, Nicaragua complained about Costa Rica building a road parallel to the San Juan River because it would hurt the environment,so what about a canal, which is a considerably bigger enterprise!

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”johnnyh”]Is this just hot air coming from Presidente Ortega? Or is it a ploy to get gringo money not to build it?
    According to La Nacion, the Panamanian government is sending assistance to Nicaragua. This does not make sense for Panama. Why would they want another canal to compete with them, specially since Panama is widening their canal.
    [/quote]

Well then, is Panama giving them money specifically for a canal?
    Is China out of it now?
    http://www.ticotimes.net/Obama-in-C.R/News-Briefs/Winners-and-losers-in-Nicaragua-s-Grand-Canal-project_Monday-October-08-2012
    This canal has been NicaNews since the 16th century.
    The most blunderheaded plan was to blow a canal open with nuclear warheads.
    PEH

johnnyh

[quote=”pharg”][quote=”johnnyh”]Is this just hot air coming from Presidente Ortega? Or is it a ploy to get gringo money not to build it?
    [/quote]

Well then, is Panama giving them money specifically for a canal?
    Is China out of it now?
    http://www.ticotimes.net/Obama-in-C.R/News-Briefs/Winners-and-losers-in-Nicaragua-s-Grand-Canal-project_Monday-October-08-2012
    This canal has been NicaNews since the 16th century.
    The most blunderheaded plan was to blow a canal open with nuclear warheads.
    PEH[/quote]

Thanks for the Tico Times link which I must have missed!
    I really can’t tell for sure what is happening, but why would Panama offer help to a competing canal? That is my question. Is there so much shipping traffic that would require another canal?
    And if the Chicoms build the canal, will they also demand a naval base at the entrance of the canal in the Caribbean to protect their interests?
    Will the United States object with the Monroe Doctrine?
    My guess is that both Ortega and Pastora need a bit of mordida Dollar cash to keep the project on a slow motion
    pace. Yes, we will build it manana. Say when?

waggoner41

Total length of the canal would exceed 300 miles vs the 40 miles if the Panama Isthmus.

Good luck.

orcas0606
    Participant

Yer right on Waggoner41 and take note who is the jefe of the project. Gimme a break, a unsuccessful shark fisherman/gun smuggler from Barra Colorado, a Sandinista, a anti Sandinista and would you belive it, next a Sandinista, dredge operator and part of the piñata gang not to mention the the 300 miles. The one and only, Commandante “Zero”, Costa Rica’s favorite adopted son. Where is Ortega trying to blow the hot air?

[quote=”waggoner41″]Total length of the canal would exceed 300 miles vs the 40 miles if the Panama Isthmus.

Good luck.[/quote]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.