New Appliances

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New Appliances

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    pebo1

Our GE washing machine needs new parts that may take 3 mos to get here and cost as much as a new machine($600+). Now looking for recommendations for what brand and where to shop in Costa Rica for a good model that will last for some time.

Many thanks—–Peter

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Whirlpool has been selling a very reliable top-loading washer here and in the U.S. for decades. Don’t buy the absolute bottom end model. Look for one with the extra rinse option.

We had one of these washers for twenty-five years in Michigan ’til I fell in love with a Maytag front loader which I could buy on the cheap. The Whirlpool had one repair in all that time.

We now have another of the Whirlpools which we bought here six years ago. You put the soap in, turn on the water, spin the knob, add the laundry and forget about it. It’s been perfect. If I had it to do again, I’d buy another one.

After I retired, I sold appliances for the now defunct Circuit City. We took back a fair number of GEs and the bottom-end Frigidaire top loaders. Just can’t see why not to buy that Whirlpool.

BTW, around 2000, Maytag bought Amana and blended the two into one product line. Then Whirlpool bought Maytag. Our appliance repair guy said recently that it may say “Maytag” on the outside but it’s Whirlpool on the inside. Just can’t see why not to buy that Whirlpool.

In Grecia and elsewhere, Importadora Monge sells Whirlpool. Dunno about Gallo, Casa Blanca, Play, (maybe) Walmart and others.

pebo1

Thank you David for that good feedback. We’ll check out Whirlpool washers and yes will be looking at higher end that will last.

Cheers—–Peter

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Peter, I’m not current on Whirlpool’s very high-end front loaders and so cannot comment, but if you’re satisfied with a top loader, you don’t have to break the bank. It seems like the model I’ve tried to describe goes for around $350 in the States. Of course, it’ll be more here. Just remember to look for that “extra rinse” option.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.