new and curious

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum new and curious

• This topic has 1 reply, 6 voices, and was last updated 18 years ago by fcr.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    fcr

Hi list, Thanks for having me in.
    I am looking at retirement in Costa Rica. Buying property and all that. Undecided between Pacific and Caribean coasts becuase of price differential. Also concerned about real estate deals. Does anyone know a good-reliable real estate agency?
    Thx
    Frank

dhsbooker

Scott can hook you up. You will need to narrow your search as to where you want to live. The prices are much lower on the Carribean side, but that also means lack of infrastucture. My husband and I had also looked at the Carribean side and was recommended to Caribe Sur. Take a look at there website. After much deliberation we have decided that it is just too far away from shopping, hospitals, airport etc..
    Good Luck,
    Debbie

vivian

I am looking as well but at the Pacific Coast since I’m concerned about hurricanes and understand that’s booming. On the Pacific side there’s the north, central and southern pacific. Also I want to be relatively close to shopping and medical. I’m looking at the Nicoya area and also northern pacific region. Any suggestions welcomed

dhsbooker

Vivian, Costa Rica does NOT have hurricanes no matter what side you are on. It’s too far south of the equator.

maravilla

Costa Rica is 9 degrees NORTH of the equator. That aside, has there NEVER been a hurricane on the Caribbean side? I’ve never checked because I would never live on the coast anyway, but now I’m curious.

dhsbooker

Hi Maravilla,
    As from all the info I have read, there have NOT been any hurricanes. It is still too far south. My husband and I were going to look for property on that side so I did alot of research. The only thing I came across was that they may have had a few days with alot of rain and stormy seas dues to one of the hurricanes last year. Can’t remember which one anymore as so many of them.!! Since we currently live in Florida (less that 10 miles from the Gulf) it would probably be the last place I would look if there was a strong possibly of hurricanes. The only reason we decided against it was the distance to everything and not as much infrastructure in place. There is a great website called lifeinpuntauva.com. They are the owners of Carib Sur real estate where I was referred to from Scott. Well, enough of hurricanes as we officially start June 1st! Let’s hope it’s not like last year!
    P.S. will be staying at Angel Valley for 17 days in Oct. Have been in touch with Andrew. It was a little weird as when he responded to my email he was in Puerto Viejo at the time and had just left Punta Uva! It looks like a GREAT place for a vacation!
    Debbie

maravilla

I read Andrew’s account of his trip to the Caribbean side. Sounds like he and Beth really enjoyed it. You;ll have a great time staying at Angel Valley Farm — with any luck I should be moved down there by then!

philipbennie

As a geographer I would like to correct the information regarding hurricanes. Costa Rica can and has been hit by hurricanes. That said it is to a lesser degree than say Florida due to our more southerly location. During the Hurricane season passing hurricanes in the Caribbean bring large ammounts of rain to the PACIFIC coast (if anyone wants an explanation I can provide it). In recent years (the last ten)this has often been significant washing out bridges and roads and destroying the houses of usually the poorest people.
    The Caribbean coast suffers during the DRY season from large ammounts of rainfall that can also lead to flooding (this is not related to hurricanes), however this rainfall is variable and is interspersed with dry periods.

wmaes47
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.