Neotropica – The Costa Rican Magazine for Living in the New Tropics

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Neotropica – The Costa Rican Magazine for Living in the New Tropics

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

The third issue of the online mag I publish has just been uploaded. This issue is titled “An Archeology of Amnesia – The 100 Year War Against Sub America.” It is a visually rich and intellectually challenging issue, but be forewarned: You WILL be outraged! However, if you live here, you need to know this history and how it influenced culture, social mores, and attitudes towards Norteamericanos. Happy reading, kids!

http://www.neotropica.info/

Andrew
    Keymaster

Is there a way to download this to read on my Kindle?

maravilla

we talked about making it Kindle ready but i’m not sure we got around to it given the recent health issues of the publisher. it could be read in pdf format, but i don’t know one single thing about how to download anything to Kindle. i will ask, though.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hmm!

I also do NOT see how to download it to .pdf – If I could do that, I could put it on the Kindle although the font size may be too small…

Scott

maravilla

there is a tutorial — just follow these instructions and you should be able to download it in pdf to whatever device you want.

http://www.neotropica.info/tutorial.html

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sorry!

I would really like to read this but I’ve already spent too much time trying to work out how to do it and if I can’t work it out, I’m guessing there’s a few others who will have the same problems.

Scott

maravilla

it is very simple.

go to the opening page and at the top are those symbols. there is a round symbol on the left with a slider and you move that round symbol to the right to make the page script bigger. or, there are two little white boxes next to that on which you can click to increase the page by one size. there are also two other symbols on the right — one resembles a single page and the other is the double page lay-out. if you click on the single page lay-out you can scroll down one page at a time in a size that is most easy to read. it’s really not that daunting although i admit the first time i tried to read someone in this format i swore i’d never do it again, and then once i was shown how to do, it was really really easy.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Simpler still . . . Get an iPad.

sprite

I opened up 190 pages on my desk top and an reading it now. Lots of photos…Thanks again, Maravilla.

*Lotus

Nicely done Maravilla, the layout is wonderful and I found it easiest to read on the one pane setting. I also only have a very small laptop, but it was fine. I no longer get outraged after an earlier steady diet of Said, Chomsky,Zinn et al. I do still get saddened by the amount of atrocities we have perpetrated against each other and the planet.

Currently my wife’s fixation is on the woman of Africa and South East Asia whom are brutalized to this day in un-imaginable ways. We do our small part by donating a portion of the profits of my company to a charity that her friend runs.

So perhaps this is cowardly but I no longer agonize through this type of journalism. I do participate collectively in trying to put positive energy out into the world by my own example and through meditation. Along with supporting causes that help with the necessities of life. It’s all pretty over whelming and not always so easy to see from our gilded cages.

I guess like Bob Marley said “Every man thinks that his burden is the heaviest”. But I always will remember being at a Pow Wow in Union Square (NYC) and the chief that was speaking pointing out that life in NY’s worst projects was like a luxury hotel to many North American Indians.

maravilla

our magazine is meant to enlighten and educate on topics that have heretofore been obfuscated or never mentioned at all in either the news or the classroom. you would be shocked at how many people know little or nothing about the role the US has played in Latin America. They know Ollie North and Iran-Contra but little else that has transpired in the last 100 years. As educated as i am on the topics, i find out something new every day that i didn’t know, or which was presented in a different way by the media. this kind of stuff used to make me rabid and crazy. now i just accept it as part of the mechanism of imperialism and domination. and like you, i do my part as best i can to make the world a better place — whether it’s helping the poor or rescuing an animal in need. but these stories do need to be told if only for us to understand why gringos are looked down upon in Latin America. i don’t think we can afford to stop learning about how the powers work and how cataclysmic events were deliberately orchestrated — free market capitalism for example that has basically bankrupted the entire world — all because of Milton Friedman and his crazy whacked-out ideas. and then there are the coups and assassinations and other dirty tricks that i actually find fascinating. some people are horrified; others are grateful for what we do. i appreciate your comments because i know you are one of the people who is realy trying to make things better.

maravilla

If you don’t have time to read NT3, you could just watch this video about what the US has been up to in the Third World for the last 80 years.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.