Need advice about exploratory trip

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Need advice about exploratory trip

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    goinglikesixty
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]how can i pick a server in the US when my server is in Costa Rica? … if you want things to be like they are in the States, …[/quote]

To run a speed test, data is sent from your local server in CR to another server – usually the closest. Since most of us want to communicate with the U.S. it would be nice to know what kind of connection speed really is available. eg: at this point in time I can get 3 mbps download to a CR server. But that may not be true in the reverse.

Re: “want things to be like they are in states.” No, never said that, just establishing some [b]desires[/b] not requirements.

maravilla

it’s not so much about what i can get there, it’s about the experience of shopping there and being part of the experience — chatting up the vendors, inquiring what they have today, buying little bits of this or that such as spices that are sold in bulk for a fraction of the cost of what you pay in a supermarket. if i lived closer to alajuela, i would shop there exclusively because they have everything i need and central markets are such an integral part of life in a latin culture. central markets are the first place i go when i hit a foreign country — guadalajara has a splendid market, as does san jose. it’s one of the reasons i moved here — supermarkets are the same impersonal experience all over the world — but the central markets give you a glimpse of daily life in a foreign country.

maravilla

speedtest said it was running at 3.4 mb/s and the nearest server was in SJO, not in the U.S. and that is fast for costa rica.

dboy

Here’s a speedtest result from San Jose on an Amnet Cable Modem to Dallas TX.

2.58 Mbps download
    0.28 Mbps upload
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1050191923.png

mediatica

When I first moved here, I didn’t even have internet for an entire year at my house! Shouldn’t we be happy to just have internet at all? LOL. The most that CableTica advertises is 4 MB and if you get 3 mb, that is great for CR.

I personally think if you are searching for a nicer climate and less traffic, concentrate on Naranjo, Grecia, San Ramon and Atenas areas. Vista del Valle is a great, smaller boutique hotel with fantastic views of the valley and mountains. Here is a link: http://www.vistadelvalle.com
    My family lives nearby and I’ve toured the hotel and had a few meals there.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.