mystery disease kills thousands in Central America

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum mystery disease kills thousands in Central America

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    sprite

From Associated Press:

Farther down the coast, in the cane-growing lowlands of northern Costa Rica, there also have been sharp increases in kidney disease, Wesseling said, and the Pan American body’s statistics show deaths are on the rise in Panama, although at less dramatic rates.

The rest of the article is at the below link. Apparently, hard labor with dehydration is suspected.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LT_CENTRAL_AMERICA_MYSTERY_DISEASE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=

Andrew
    Keymaster

“hard labor with dehydration” and heavy use of dangerous pesticides, right?

Scott

sprite

Right. Roundup is the biggest suspect in that area. I know the farming community around my property use it a lot for weed control. Makes ya wonder if maybe this by design. Big corporations may have been able to remove a lot of African farmers from land by way of poisoning in this manner.

maravilla

i’ve read 4 or 5 articles on this mysterious illness and all the “scientists” say the wagging finger of blame points AWAY from pesticides, but i don’t believe them for one minute. there have been 20,000 deaths in Central America from this and knwoing what i know about the banana industry and how the bananeros suffer all kinds of illnesses because of the chemicals they use, it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if it was chemical related. when you go into a banana plantation they have BIG warning signs everywhere about the chemicals. at least they aren’t using the Bordeaux mixture anymore.

clewis

[quote=”maravilla”]i’ve read 4 or 5 articles on this mysterious illness and all the “scientists” say the wagging finger of blame points AWAY from pesticides, but i don’t believe them for one minute. there have been 20,000 deaths in Central America from this and knwoing what i know about the banana industry and how the bananeros suffer all kinds of illnesses because of the chemicals they use, it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if it was chemical related. when you go into a banana plantation they have BIG warning signs everywhere about the chemicals. at least they aren’t using the Bordeaux mixture anymore.[/quote]

Makes folks think about the bananas and pineapples they’ve been eating….Chemicals have caused way more damage than any “good” effect derived from their use. Ever wonder why cancer is way out of control in our generation? Our parents and their parents didn’t have to deal with it on the scale that we do today. I’ve battled it in the last 11 years and I’m glad to be cancer free. I could discuss that subject for hours as I know we have a cure. I read about it and it’s real. Big Pharma and Docs don’t want it released and deny it’s existence because cancer is a multi-billion dollar industry. You think GE would want it released when they build CAT scans and MRIs? What would happen to all the cancer centers? We are being killed by the people who pretend to protect us…I get angry when I think about it.

kellied

Is it possible to get Organic fruits & veggies – or is there not too much monitoring on pesticide use?

On a side note – having had 2 brain surgeries – MRI’s are safe, but CAT scans are not. Always request MRIs

jultes

[quote=”kellied”]Is it possible to get Organic fruits & veggies – or is there not too much monitoring on pesticide use?

On a side note – having had 2 brain surgeries – MRI’s are safe, but CAT scans are not. Always request MRIs[/quote]
    You can’t just request an MRI unless you are private pay, your insurance may require you to get a CT first since they dictate what we providers order (I am a nurse practitioner who has had that experience trying to get orders for my patients) Julie NP

maravilla

yes there are lots of organic fruits and vegetables here and you can get those at your local farmer’s markets. a lot of small farms are not certified because of the paperwork and expense, but if you query your vendors and ask them what they use, most will tell you that they either use some homemade concoction or nothing at all, and if your soils are balanced you don’t really need pesticides. i buy pineapples from a guy who has a farm in guanacaste and he swears he uses nothing on them and that’s why they are smaller than the ones that come from Dole. someone else told me that most of the pesticide usage in Costa Rica goes to bananas and pineapples, so do buy organic when you can. and as for the war on cancer. . . pffffft! a lot of good that has done. it’s only made Big Pharma richer and the stats keep going up, not down.

postalx

[quote=”maravilla”]yes there are lots of organic fruits and vegetables here and you can get those at your local farmer’s markets. a lot of small farms are not certified because of the paperwork and expense, but if you query your vendors and ask them what they use, most will tell you that they either use some homemade concoction or nothing at all, and if your soils are balanced you don’t really need pesticides. i buy pineapples from a guy who has a farm in guanacaste and he swears he uses nothing on them and that’s why they are smaller than the ones that come from Dole. someone else told me that most of the pesticide usage in Costa Rica goes to bananas and pineapples, so do buy organic when you can. and as for the war on cancer. . . pffffft! a lot of good that has done. it’s only made Big Pharma richer and the stats keep going up, not down.[/quote]

Do you ever get the feeling that the whole world is just one big racket, and we’re all just pawns? Rhetorical question, I know…

maravilla

don’t get me started on that issue! I’ve been the salmon swimming upstream my whole life, never believing that the gov’t told the truth or had our best interests at heart. i;m just grateful that i am not one of the sheeple.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Article [url=http://www.english.rfi.fr/environment/20120214-monsanto-appeal-against-french-herbicide-poisoning-judgement]today in the news[/url] regarding Monsantos.

maravilla

so typical of monsanto. my dog had all those same symptoms from ingesting something sprayed with glyphosate, and now we know that round-up is a neurotoxin (and i suspect that is what Lasso is — probably round-up with a new name in a new territory), causes infertility, etc. and yet, people use it liberally without any thought to the consequences to our planet, our water supply, or our food. “Yeah, our stuff is poison but it’s YOUR fault!”

sprite

[quote=”maravilla”]so typical of monsanto. my dog had all those same symptoms from ingesting something sprayed with glyphosate, and now we know that round-up is a neurotoxin (and i suspect that is what Lasso is — probably round-up with a new name in a new territory), causes infertility, etc. and yet, people use it liberally without any thought to the consequences to our planet, our water supply, or our food. “Yeah, our stuff is poison but it’s YOUR fault!”[/quote]

Some say the eugenecists are doing this world wide so as to reduce the population. (It must be difficult to control so many slaves)

sprite

How do I ask the man who keeps the weeds down on my property to NOT use chemicals in his work? I have watched farmers in Cuba work in the field with machetes and here in Costa Rica as well. It is impressively fatiguing.

VictoriaLST

[quote=”kellied”]Is it possible to get Organic fruits & veggies – or is there not too much monitoring on pesticide use?

On a side note – having had 2 brain surgeries – MRI’s are safe, but CAT scans are not. Always request MRIs[/quote]

An MRI used to be called an NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) – but they changed the name because people were afraid of the word “nuclear”. An MRI still uses radiation, folks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.