Must a residency applicant have a ticket back to the US at border crossing?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Must a residency applicant have a ticket back to the US at border crossing?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    maxdevil

I have applied for my CR residency and have proof of my application. I am waiting for my application to be approved. I need to do a second border run in order to be able to continue driving my car on my California Driver’s License. Do I still need to show an airline ticket back to the US and $500 in cash at the Panama border? I did do that the first time I went to the Panama border, but it is a real pain in the neck to get a airplane ticket and then request a refund. Can’t I just show proof of my Residency Application at the Panama border?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Yes, if you go across the Panamanian border but ‘no’
    if you head for Nicaragua.
    It could take a year or more to receive your [i]cedula[/i], so be prepared to repeat this again…and again…:roll:

Doug Ward

Tell them you need to get back to the orphanage ASAP !

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Yes, if you go across the Panamanian border but ‘no’
    if you head for Nicaragua.
    It could take a year or more to receive your [i]cedula[/i], so be prepared to repeat this again…and again…:roll:[/quote]

I think “Finca” is answering your questions:
    “yes” you will need the onward travel ticket and cash at the border with Panama, and
    “no” you will not need it at the border with Nicaragua.

In either case, Panama or Nicaragua, I have not experienced them accepting your application or expediente document as proof of anything.

Good luck, and safe travels!

waggoner41

[quote=”maxdevil”]I have applied for my CR residency and have proof of my application. I am waiting for my application to be approved. I need to do a second border run in order to be able to continue driving my car on my California Driver’s License. Do I still need to show an airline ticket back to the US and $500 in cash at the Panama border? I did do that the first time I went to the Panama border, but it is a real pain in the neck to get a airplane ticket and then request a refund. Can’t I just show proof of my Residency Application at the Panama border?[/quote]

Why not just obtain your Costa Rica drivers license?
    I did this in 2008 while my residency was in lengthy process and never left again. I still have my CA drivers license in case I go back but the CR license is also valid in California.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”maxdevil”]I have applied for my CR residency and have proof of my application. I am waiting for my application to be approved. I need to do a second border run in order to be able to continue driving my car on my California Driver’s License. Do I still need to show an airline ticket back to the US and $500 in cash at the Panama border? I did do that the first time I went to the Panama border, but it is a real pain in the neck to get a airplane ticket and then request a refund. Can’t I just show proof of my Residency Application at the Panama border?[/quote]

I did this in 2008 while my residency was in lengthy process and never left again. I still have my CA drivers license in case I go back but the CR license is also valid in California.[/quote]

Unfortunately, under the current traffic law you must have residency to apply for and receive a CR drivers license.

maxdevil

[quote=”Doug Ward”]Tell them you need to get back to the orphanage ASAP ![/quote]
    I have no idea what you are talking about!

maxdevil

[quote=”costaricabill”][quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”maxdevil”]I have applied for my CR residency and have proof of my application. I am waiting for my application to be approved. I need to do a second border run in order to be able to continue driving my car on my California Driver’s License. Do I still need to show an airline ticket back to the US and $500 in cash at the Panama border? I did do that the first time I went to the Panama border, but it is a real pain in the neck to get a airplane ticket and then request a refund. Can’t I just show proof of my Residency Application at the Panama border?[/quote]

I did this in 2008 while my residency was in lengthy process and never left again. I still have my CA drivers license in case I go back but the CR license is also valid in California.[/quote]

Unfortunately, under the current traffic law you must have residency to apply for and receive a CR drivers license.[/quote]

Thank you CostaRicaBill. You have answered for me. I wish I could get my CR driver’s license, but I can’t until I become a resident. This law is so silly, forcing an applicant for CR residency to become a perpetual tourist for the length of time it takes to become a resident.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Our neighboring countries have the same rules.

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricabill”] Unfortunately, under the current traffic law you must have residency to apply for and receive a CR drivers license.[/quote]

They change the laws more frequently than they do their underwear.

Jerry

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”costaricabill”] Unfortunately, under the current traffic law you must have residency to apply for and receive a CR drivers license.[/quote]

They change the laws more frequently than they do their underwear.[/quote]

Underwear??? who wears UNDERWEAR???

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.