Moving to Tamarindo Area… Marriage, Munchkins, and Muts

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Moving to Tamarindo Area… Marriage, Munchkins, and Muts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kfitz37

My fiancé has found a good job opportunity in the Tamarindo area, and we would like to move there in the near future. It will be the two of us, our dog, our cat, and there is a bun in the over (4.5 months along).

1. Can we initially move as tourists and apply and receive a work visa while we are there (i.e. will we receive the work visa within the 90 day maximum visit)?

What is the timeline for receiving temporary (and / or permanent) residency?

Can we get married there as tourists?

Will we be able to register our marriage for the US at the US Embassy?

2.  Babies:

What is the prenatal care like in the Tamarindo area?

Will we qualify for health care?

Will I be able to give birth in Tamarindo?

3. Pets

Our dog is a 6 year black Labrador and the cat is a 13 year old long haired calico…

What other vaccinations besides rabies are required for dogs? Cats?

Is there a specific certification for pet admittance into Costa Rica? Where can I find it?

What tests can I have ran on the dog to minimize potential quarantine? The cat?

Are there any other measures I can take to minimize / omit quarantine?

My cat was diagnosed with feline leukemia 5 years ago; will this be an issue for her entry into Costa Rica?
    Thank you all in advance for your help!

costaricafinca
    Participant

You can’t work until you have a work visa …which can take a year so don’t count on it to be quick.

A ‘potential’ employer must apply for a work visa…and one work visa will not cover you both nor will they be given if a Costa Rican citizen or Permanent resident can fill the position.

Many employers will not apply for a work visa as then they must adhere to the legal requirements, including paying their portion on healthcare, vacation pay etc.

Wages are low and Tamarindo is expensive.

Temporary residency applications are presently taking approx 12 months or more…with Permanent residency taking 4-5 years, unless you have a child born here, then you can apply after child is born here and once you have received the birth certificate although it could still take a year….THEN you would be both issued a [i]cedula[/i] stating that you are now ‘legal to work’

You won’t qualify for healthcare until a ‘resident’ with [i]cedula[/i] in hand.

Private healthcare is available and you may choose to go to San José for the birth or [url=http://sanrafaelclinicalhospital.com/en/]Clinica San Rafael in Liberia[/url]. Although most local woman go to Liberia to have their babies in the CAJA hospital, many choose to use private facilities, due to better conditions and facilities.
    No problem with your pets as long as you have the [url=http://costarica.usembassy.gov/catsdogs.html]required health certificates[/url] required and no quarantine needed.

You can get married here while a tourist.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great feedback from costaricafinca as usual – thank you…

If you are considering working in Costa Rica please use the Discussion Forum Search engine and Articles Search engine before posting your question because this topic has been discussed in depth a zillion times.

guru

One more point – Besides the delays noted above the Costa Rica bureaucracy is notoriously slow and disjointed. In the time many of these processes take the rules can change.

It happened to friends of mine who thought they were months away from permanent residency (after years of doing what CR asked) and the rules were changed on them, CR wanting them to stay in country more than 50% of the year in a single block of time rather than the couple months at a time they planned on. Their plan was to work in the US in good weather and spend the winters and peak summer in Costa Rica. . . until they fully retired. But the plan fell apart and now they just come and go in 90 day cycles as “tourists” even after more than meeting the investor requirement. They will probably go on that way until the end. . .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.