Moving to CR From Canada – Worried about crime

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Moving to CR From Canada – Worried about crime

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    traceyl

Hello all!
    My husband and I have been planning the move and are close to leaving but now we are having second thoughts due to what we are reading about CRIME in CR, especially on the government website… I have been reading the forums to get a better idea of what’s going on, but could really use some help from you guys! (We are not sure about a gated community yet…would prefer not to separate ourselves as much and not sure if we could afford to rent there anyway, but have seen lots of Craigslist listings of furnished places to rent with terrific prices….Will we be safe?)
    Thanks!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

There’s no point in debating the matter, tracy, Costa Rica is not crime-free. And the anecdotal evidence (supported by little hard data) is that crime is on the rise. In this population of four million or so, hardly a week goes by without a news report of a murder. And home invasions, carjackings, burglaries, muggings, pocket pickings, etc all occur as well.

So let’s be clear . . . Costa Rica is not crime-free.

Now, the question you didn’t ask but which must be addressed is whether crime here is significantly worse than it is anywhere else. You’ve not said where in Canada you’re coming from, but if it’s one of the major metropolitan areas then you’re in for a pleasant surprise. Costa Rica’s crime rates, according to the best data available, are lower than any of your major Canadian cities. And they’re lower than virtually all U.S. cities. And they’re lower than other Latin American countries and much of the rest of the world.

Does any of that mean that you’ll never be a crime victim in Costa Rica? That there’s no chance? Ever? Heavens, NO! We’re all susceptible every hour of the day. But if you’re reasonably prudent, your chances of being victimized are not very great.

What’s more, Costa Rica has way too much to offer to let unfounded worries about crime deter you from considering relocating here.

Scott, how about chiming in with some statistics.

And, how about some of the other active Forum participants chiming in with some anecdotes about North Americans who relocated to Costa Rica, were crime victims, and returned to North America [u]for that reason alone[/u].

wspeed1195

what David said.this could be “search”ed on this site and you’d be able to form A better thought than waiting for info to flow through this thread.
    it truly lies in your level of resilience to situations and should something happen can you dust off your knees and keep moving,or run.
    as with Davids last sentence.
    deter and defend is something everyone does wherever they live.the differences are degrees and methods with which you apply to your safety.
    PS,your Canadian,every Canadian I’ve met there was tough as new steel.no joke.

traceyl

Now, the question you didn’t ask but which must be addressed is whether crime here is significantly worse than it is anywhere else. You’ve not said where in Canada you’re coming from, but if it’s one of the major metropolitan areas then you’re in for a pleasant surprise. Costa Rica’s crime rates, according to the best data available, are lower than any of your major Canadian cities. And they’re lower than virtually all U.S. cities. And they’re lower than other Latin American countries and much of the rest of the world. (quote)
    Thank you for your feedback thus far! We live in the Interior of BC, in the Okanagan Valley, so not a big city by any means (nearly 200,000 in the largest city in the valley). We really appreciate all input! 🙂

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Okay, tracy, so when you leave home do you lock the door? When you park at the mall or supermarket, or in your driveway, do you take your keys? If yes, then you’re being prudent — just like us.

Do you walk deserted streets alone at night? Do you write your PIN on the back of your ATM card? Do you flash large wads of cash in public? If not, then you’re being prudent — just like us.

Regardless of the measures you take, either in the Okanagan Valley or the Central Valley, there will always be some risk. Question is, is the change one that, after all is said and done, will be good for you. Only you can answer that.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I am not sure which government website she’s referring to but anyone who prefers to believe the bad news and not listen to any of the good news really won’t be happy living anywhere…

People want to read about some idiot marrying a prostitute and getting ripped off but, they don’t want to read about the Americans and Canadians here who have married a wonderful Costa Rican woman and are living rich, beautifully satisfying lives…

People want to read about crime and blood and guts but don’t want to hear that I have never been burgled, my home has never suffered a “home invasion”, I’ve never been attacked by drug gangs or kidnapped once in eleven years and, I walk around in San Jose regularly…

If I’m not mistaken you have never experienced these crimes either David….

As for Canadians? There are far fewer Canadians living here than Americans… I am therefore assuming that there are far fewer statistics regarding them…

How many US citizens were murdered in Costa Rica in 2009? According to the Deaths of U.S. Citizens Abroad statistics compiled by the US Department of State, the answer is two people!

Two!

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/Deadly_Crimes_in_Costa_Rica_The_safest_country_in_Central_America.cfm ]

How many were burgled, I have no idea ….

But if that sort of number scares you from visiting Costa Rica to see if a new life in a beautiful new location in the perfect climate is right for you, don’t leave your home! PLEASE stay right where you are…

Did you see my article about the Canadian newspaper? ‘The Recorder & Times’ who reported – sensationally – on the unfortunate death by drowning of a Canadian lawyer in Costa Rica.

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/2089.cfm ]

From what I can see the population of the entire Okanagan Valley region is only about 350,000 – so you might be better off taking a look at a quieter area like Grecia in Costa Rica where David is located ….

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

costaricafinca
    Participant

We lived in the Kootenays before moving here 10 years ago and our ‘kids’ just outside of Kelowna. Our son has had his car broken into twice while in his driveway and two neighbors have been robbed, with one being severely beaten. I read, everyday, the ‘Castanet’ website for their… and your …local news.
    We have been robbed three times..in two different areas…and one thwarted robbery… and the result of one was that three of our dogs being poisoned, and the death of two of them. We do now have alarm system and guns on the farm.
    The difference is that in Canada the police response is usually fast and the ‘culprits’ if apprehended get ‘jail time’. Here, for a robbery, under $500 the local police [i]may[/i] stop by in a day or two… Over $500 the OIJ will get involved.
    I [i]do know that over 60% of the Canadians that I have met over these past years[/i] have returned to Canada, but not solely due to crime.
    The ‘local police’ in the countryside or small towns will ‘request donations’ to fix their vehicles, buy flashlights, put in a new toilet, etc….and they do use the funds for this.
    You haven’t mentioned whether or not you have visited Costa Rica, and advise you to visit for an extended time, prior to the ‘big move’ .
    [b]Please note,[/b] that it is now illegal for non-residents to own any firearms, so you cannot legally purchase one for protection until you have [b]Permanent Residency,[/b] which will take approx 5 years.

watchdog

I’m from Victoria, B.C; moved here 12 years ago and have never been the victim of a criminal act. As has been said previously in this thread, prudent behavior is the key. I would support living in a gated community in CR as being part of that prudent behaviour.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Nope, Scott, we have never been crime victims in Costa Rica (or in the U.S., for that matter).

And nope, watchdog, we do not live in a gated community. Everyone has his or her own comfort level and for some a gated community is the hot setup. For us, the prospect of living in a gated community is not an attractive one. I’ve said before, if I wanted to live behind walls and a fence, with armed guards, alarms, guard dogs, and concertina wire, I’d go back to the U.S. and commit a felony.

traceyl

Canada has the illusion of freedom and is not heaven. You are free as long as you do what they want you to do…. How do you all feel about this issue in CR? Oh, and thanks for the good vibes you just sent our way….it’s sad to think people feel that way but I suppose some feel that way here too…

wspeed1195

[quote=”bushito”]Please stay where you are,it is havean,noone ask you to leave your country.ticos hate people like you.jm[/quote]they’re canadian,not nica’s pana’s mexcano’s or colombiano’s.
    or are you comfy with them more?

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”bushito”]Please stay where you are, it is havean,noone ask you to leave your country.ticos hate people like you.jm[/quote]

Would you not prefer to post slightly more constructive comments?

Nobody asked Ticos to emigrate to the US either but thousands of them have over the years… Do the Gringos hate people “like you” in the US too?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Jim S.

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]There’s no point in debating the matter, tracy, Costa Rica is not crime-free. And the anecdotal evidence (supported by little hard data) is that crime is on the rise. In this population of four million or so, hardly a week goes by without a news report of a murder. And home invasions, carjackings, burglaries, muggings, pocket pickings, etc all occur as well.

So let’s be clear . . . Costa Rica is not crime-free.

Now, the question you didn’t ask but which must be addressed is whether crime here is significantly worse than it is anywhere else. You’ve not said where in Canada you’re coming from, but if it’s one of the major metropolitan areas then you’re in for a pleasant surprise. Costa Rica’s crime rates, according to the best data available, are lower than any of your major Canadian cities. And they’re lower than virtually all U.S. cities. And they’re lower than other Latin American countries and much of the rest of the world.

Does any of that mean that you’ll never be a crime victim in Costa Rica? That there’s no chance? Ever? Heavens, NO! We’re all susceptible every hour of the day. But if you’re reasonably prudent, your chances of being victimized are not very great.

What’s more, Costa Rica has way too much to offer to let unfounded worries about crime deter you from considering relocating here.

Scott, how about chiming in with some statistics.

And, how about some of the other active Forum participants chiming in with some anecdotes about North Americans who relocated to Costa Rica, were crime victims, and returned to North America [u]for that reason alone[/u].[/quote]

Tracy, I’ve lived here for over ten years and I basically agree with David. I wouldn’t be overly concerned about crime, but I do think you should be aware and informed.

I’ve often heard others make the same claim as David, that the crime rate is lower here than in most major cities in the US and Canada but that isn’t necessarily true because a large percentage of non-violent street crime, petty theft, car break-ins and the like are never even reported to the police.

The police here are under-staffed, under-trained, and under-paid. The same is pretty much the case with the overall criminal justice system. Until the Costa Rican government does something to address these issues, crime is going to continue to be an ever-increasing problem.

Having said that, the vast majority of crime occurs in areas and neighborhoods that you will never even see. So long as you are reasonably cautious and prudent, chances are that you will not feel threatened by crime here.

waggoner41

[quote=”Jim S.”]Having said that, the vast majority of crime occurs in areas and neighborhoods that you will never even see. So long as you are reasonably cautious and prudent, chances are that you will not feel threatened by crime here.[/quote]

I’ve stated many times that we live without gates and bars which are common to the country.

We had some petty theft when we first moved in 2 1/2 years ago but nothing since. We do not live in an area that attracts attention from the criminal element which is usually confined to the larger cities.

You will find that almost every rental is either barred, gated or both. Living here for 6 months should tell you whether you can find a comfort level.

My wife and I love it.

Relaxed

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]Okay, tracy, so when you leave home do you lock the door? When you park at the mall or supermarket, or in your driveway, do you take your keys? If yes, then you’re being prudent — just like us.

My daughter and hubby are moving in the Dominical area soon. That prompted me to find out about how C.R. ticks, and, sans a few bad incidents, everything was favorable. Do I worry?…not.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.