Moving to Costa Rica with small children? Jobs?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Moving to Costa Rica with small children? Jobs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    ayshahkfox

I fell in love with CR over ten years ago and have visited many times. I am now in my early thirties, married, with two small sons, ages 3 years and 9 months. The dream of living in CR is still alive and well within me but my husband is not so sure. Although he loved our first visit together two years ago (with my son, then 2 years old) he does not think CR would provide the best life for our children. Our main concern is the education system and of course, healthcare. I know both are rated highly in CR but by whose standards? I would never want to jeaopardize my kids’ opportunities of attending university in the States ir Europe in the future but I am intent on providing them with a non-traditional learning environment, rich in culture, diversity and pristine environment. I have a MS in conservation biology and have teaching experience as well as tropical research experience and have lived and worked in tropical conservation in Panama. My husband is a TSA officer and wants a career change. We both want a different life but he wants the security of a job. What are the possibiities for him in CR? Anyone willing to share their job experiences and experiences raising children in CR? Thanks!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The single most problematic thing you will face is the matter of employment. In simple terms, no foreigner can work in Costa Rica if they are competing with a Costa Rican citizen for that job. You must have a skill that does not exist in the local labor force, and those jobs are few and far between.

If you do have some unique skill, your prospective employer can apply for a work permit on your behalf, but the process can take a year or longer to complete, and success is not assured. In the meantime, how will you support your family?

The best you might hope for would be to qualify for one of the temporary legal residency statuses (with their attendant financial requirements), remain in that status without working for three years, and then apply for permanent residency with is typically granted without restrictions. Then, once that permanent residency is granted, you could seek employment on your own.

You should also be aware that wages in Costa Rica are laughably low as compared to those in North America. If you aspire to educate your children to compete in American or European universities, you are probably talking about private schooling in Costa Rica. While costs vary, you should assume that such schools are not inexpensive. What’s more, they tend to be clustered in areas settled by foreigners. Those areas are not characterized by cheap housing.

I understand that the foregoing is not the answer you were hoping for, but it’s better to know what you’re up against before making what could be a very expensive and disappointing decision.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I would suggest that you read the [url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/legalnet/residency.html]Residency Requirement[/url] first. Then, see if you could legally make this move.
    In a nutshell, neither of you could work here, until you have Permanent residency which will take approx 4 years. You could, instead, have another child born here, which will allow you both to work….if you can find employment, realizing that wages are very low, and private school costs are not.
    The CAJA does provide adequate emergency care, but many ex-pats use and pay to us private facilities.

Andrew
    Keymaster

You are asking about some HUGE topics, kids, schools and education, healthcare and jobs many of which are covered in depth within this forum and also in numerous articles on this site…

Private schools and healthcare here can compete with practically anything you have at home… Public schools and healthcare are a different case.

Please do search for each of those topics using the search engine in the Discussion forum as well as the search engine for the articles…

As you may have noticed from the employment news, there is no security with a job, it’s an illusion and providing security is certainly an illusion when it comes to the TSA.

Lastly, there is also a ton of information on this site about jobs and the difficulty of people from the USA being able to work at a job here legally, remembering they’ll make a fraction of the amount of they made “back home”.

The the easiest way to think about this is to ask yourself this question:

How easy would it be for a Costa Rican citizen to step off the plane, arrive in your hometown in the US and start working in a job that might directly compete with yours or your husbands?

Answer: Not easy at all… In fact, it would be extremely difficult!

The difference is a “security consultant” in Costa Rica might earn $600 per month whereas a security guard in the US would probably earn more but at whatever wage, clearly neither of them are particularly effective in their jobs.

Scott

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]The single most problematic thing you will face is the matter of employment. In simple terms, no foreigner can work in Costa Rica if they are competing with a Costa Rican citizen for that job. You must have a skill that does not exist in the local labor force, and those jobs are few and far between.

If you do have some unique skill, your prospective employer can apply for a work permit on your behalf, but the process can take a year or longer to complete, and success is not assured. In the meantime, how will you support your family?

The best you might hope for would be to qualify for one of the temporary legal residency statuses (with their attendant financial requirements), remain in that status without working for three years, and then apply for permanent residency with is typically granted without restrictions. Then, once that permanent residency is granted, you could seek employment on your own.

You should also be aware that wages in Costa Rica are laughably low as compared to those in North America. If you aspire to educate your children to compete in American or European universities, you are probably talking about private schooling in Costa Rica. While costs vary, you should assume that such schools are not inexpensive. What’s more, they tend to be clustered in areas settled by foreigners. Those areas are not characterized by cheap housing.

I understand that the foregoing is not the answer you were hoping for, but it’s better to know what you’re up against before making what could be a very expensive and disappointing decision.[/quote]

David – as always, you have a very kind and understanding way of telling people what they may not want to hear. This response is perhaps one of your best to date.
    crb

markus
    Participant

Dave. Thoughtful and objective response. I will say, moving to CR while counting on a job to make ends meet is most likely not a good idea. Kids on top of that, I would not do it. One can only move to CR with enough money to cover monthly expenses for a long time. If jobs are being considered to add to the nest egg, that is a different story. As others pointed out, we can’t compete with Costa Ricans for jobs. However, there may be academic jobs at international master level schools in CR. Check INCAE in Alajuela and CATIE in Turrialba.
    On my recent trip I met several Dutch families raising their kids in CR for many years. A few of the kids have been born in CR. They are very happy to have provided this opportunity to their kids.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I know some that have worked at CATIE, and they do provide work visas, but to be part of their agricultural research teams, one must be Bilingual.

ayshahkfox

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]The single most problematic thing you will face is the matter of employment. In simple terms, no foreigner can work in Costa Rica if they are competing with a Costa Rican citizen for that job. You must have a skill that does not exist in the local labor force, and those jobs are few and far between.

I understand that the foregoing is not the answer you were hoping for, but it’s better to know what you’re up against before making what could be a very expensive and disappointing decision.[/quote]

Thank you very much for your informative response. Has anyone heard of opportunities for healthcare practiotioners in CR? Such as radiation therapists, X-Ray techs, etc.?

ayshahkfox

[quote=”costaricafinca”]I know some that have worked at CATIE, and they do provide work visas, but to be part of their agricultural research teams, one must be Bilingual.[/quote]

Can you provide me with the link to thae CATIE organization? I would also love the opportunity to speak with someone who has worked for CATIE if you could put me in direct contact with someone. My email is ayshahkfox@gmail.com. Many thanks!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”ayshahkfox”]
    Thank you very much for your informative response. Has anyone heard of opportunities for healthcare practiotioners in CR? Such as radiation therapists, X-Ray techs, etc.?[/quote]

Four things you should consider in this regard: First, there is likely no shortage of such ancillary health care personnel as the universities have training programs for them. If there is no manpower shortage, you would not be able to obtain a work permit.

Second, you would certainly have to become licensed which means that you would not only have to possess acceptable credentials but would also have to take a licensure examination in Spanish.

Third, wages will be much lower that what you anticipate.

And finally, even if you possess the credentials and can take the licensure examination, the actual issuance of your license could be delayed. What will you do in the meantime?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”ayshahkfox”]
    Can you provide me with the link to thae CATIE organization? I[/quote]

From Google: http://www.catie.ac.cr/magazin.asp?CodIdioma=ESP

costaricafinca
    Participant

The young women I knew who worked as teachers in the school, have moved on and I no longer have a current email address. If one got a visa for a one year teaching position, they offer free accommodation, but if you are married, you are [i]’on your own’.[/i]
    Another Colombian woman whose was in the research side has transferred to Chile right now, and I have also lost contact with her. [url=http://www.catie.ac.cr/magazin.asp?CodIdioma=ESP]CATIE[/url] is where you can get more info… but they are always very slow to respond.
    In the medical field it is even harder to gain employment, as there are many qualified people here, plus one has to take all the exams again, in Spanish.

ticorealtor

I can tell you that the bubble of a easy life here in Costa Rica is not the same when you have to work for a living here.
    I know this because I am living proof, my situation is that we moved back for family reasons since my wife is a Tica.
    In the last ten years the price of living here has gone crazy and there are a lot of jobs if you are bi lingual however the pay is far lower than you would be used too. A couple of weekends ago they had a job fair which my wife and I attended. You had all of the major players there but all of them asked are you legal to work here. They would not even look at you if you didn’t have your cedula.
    Education… that is a laugh unless you have the money to pay for private education you will have your kids trapped in a system where they don’t have money to pay for books. Higher educated Ticos will always spend thousands of dollars a year for their kids to go to bi lingual private schools. The lowest price pre kinder class here is about 300 hundred a month. My wife will not allow our daughter to go to the public school here because they are so bad.
    Health care… again… if you are thinking North American Standards for the public health care get ready for a big adjustment. If you live in a small town near a large population of gringos like Athens maybe you will have it better but in the Central Valley its a lot different.
    In any country life is different when you are a visitor.. living in a country for a month or so and not having to depend on the normal lifestyle like the nationals is far different than working and living there full time.

mediatica

It is hard to make decent money here unless you own your own business–which you CAN do as a non-resident, but you can’t technically ‘work’ for your business (you have to hire others to run it for you). I have a 3 year old and 11 month old and love it here. My 3 year old is in pre-school (bilingual) and the cost is $190 per month. Both boys were born here in Costa Rica. When I arrived 5 years ago, I was kid-less. This will also solve your residency situation. However, as others mentioned, the pay scale is low for ‘regular’ jobs. That is why I chose to take a risk and open up my own company here after working for someone else for a year. Good luck and I hope it works out for you. Becky

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”ticorealtor”]I can tell you that the bubble of a easy life here in Costa Rica is not the same when you have to work for a living here….
    [/quote]

What exactly does “a bubble of an easy life” mean?

What does: “The price of living has gone crazy” mean? In a country where the average monthly salary is less than US$600 per month?

From your previous posts you have explained that you are an American citizen and NOT a Tico so some people might suggest that using the username of ‘TicoRealtor’ is a little deceptive but…, forgetting the fact that you are NOT a Tico or a Realtor for a moment let’s look at a few more of your outrageous statements?

I would say that in today’s economy that it’s pretty impressive that there are “lots of jobs” available in Costa Rica especially when you consider that very smart people in the USA [ http://www.chrismartenson.com/page/transcript-shadowstats-john-williams-explains-why-its-all-been-downhill-1973 ] consider the ‘real’ level of UNemployment in the USA is probably around 22% but you complain that in a Costa Rica job fair that: “They would not even look at you if you didn’t have your cedula. ”

Like they don’t complain about illegal immigrant workers in the USA?

And your comments about public education? “Education… that is a laugh unless you have the money to pay for private education you will have your kids trapped in a system where they don’t have money to pay for books. Higher educated Ticos will always spend thousands of dollars a year for their kids to go to bi lingual private schools.”

I’m assuming that all “higher educated” gringos send their kids to public schools in the US do they? Now that is a “laugh”!

It costs US$45,000 for my son to go to college in the US… It’s about the same for my daughter PLUS accommodation PLUS travel and other expenses – For the two of them it’s about $125K per year and you moan about education in Costa Rica that costs $300 per month?

Wake up!

And health care? When you talk about “North American Standards” are you talking about the 59 MILLION people in America who are “medically uninsured? [ http://www.alternet.org/story/149324/america_in_decline:_why_germans_think_we’re_insane ] when 100% of Costa Rican have access to health care?

The Costa Rican public health care system may not be perfect but we have a few very grateful gringos on this site [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/2752.cfm ] and [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/2278.cfm ]who have had complete recoveries from cancer thanks to the Costa Rican heath care system and although they would have DIED in the USA – this health care in Costa Rica cost them less than $100 per month for husband and wife!

But maybe have Obamacare will come to your rescue “TicoRealtor” – he said sarcastically – because it’s clearly a farce…

“The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has granted waivers to 10 health insurance companies, including giants such as Cigna and Aetna and divisions of Blue Cross Blue Shield, from the requirements of the new health care law, also known as ObamaCare.” 

[ http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/10-health-insurance-companies-get-obamac ]

PLEASE – Give me a second so I can stop laughing …

And when you speak about Athens, may we assume you are referring to Atenas?

I would like to suggest TicoRealtor that you stop your pathetic whining about what you feel is wrong with Costa Rica – especially when you have been given so many more opportunities than the average Tico – and start asking yourself who exactly is to blame for your own abysmal financial situation?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.