Moving soon ( next 3 months ?)

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Moving soon ( next 3 months ?)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

My husband and I live presently in Paris, France. Life long expats: West Africa, Asia, Europe. Both Americans. I also am a French citizen. I am beeing transfered from CDG to Washington DC for United Airlines as an int’l flight attendant. We are thinking seriously about settling in CR as the USA donot seem to be the answer to our lifestyle and R.E prices have gone out of hands. My husband is 60 years. He will eventually look to see what he can start as a service business for the expat community in CR. He has been running int’l moving companies around the world but may choose something utterly different. We are hoping to find an old colonial style house with a reasonnable rent not too far from civilisation before finding a place or a business to buy. I can read much in th Spanish lguage as I am fluent in French and Italian. I’ll pick up Spanish very quickly. I intend to commute from DCA to San Jose every week after work.
    What do you suggest ? …A B&B (under $40 a day )for an exploratory one week trip ? Can we be hooked up with people that can help in our research for a house ( no modern condos ! )?. We appreciate any advice/ assistance. This is going to be a permanent move .

Edited on Apr 09, 2006 05:33

Edited on Apr 09, 2006 05:34

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Having been here a full eight months, I can unqualifiedly endorse the Grecia area. We’re within an hour of everything of consequence in San Jose. Up in the mountains, it’s very temperate. Decent buildable land is available (I know a real estate agent or two whom I could recommend). Grecia is a fairly modern city with decent shopping, medical facilities, etc. Oh! And it’s beautiful.

There is a much less well developed B&B here in el Cajon, about 7.5km from downtown Grecia, that’s less expensive. It’s also less posh, and there is a 20-month old little one. You can e-mail Tim and Jenny at yecasita@yahoo.com for particulars. Again, tell ’em Dave sent you.

Tim and Jenny are just finishing a three bedroom, three bath house they hope to rent. It’s here in el Cajon. You might ask them about it.

Hope this helps.

Edited on Aug 29, 2006 15:24

Thank You for your prompt reply David.
    We are excited about having made up our mind to move to CR. The Grecia area sounds nice. Costa Rica is where we want to eventually retire. It is not far from the USA where our children live. And just a hop to DCA for us.
    We shall look up the last 2 B&B you mentionned as we do not need the perfect B&B. We are not pampered Americans as we have lived through the rough and less trodden roads ( as well as the sophisticated ). We also are hoping to find a house with old world charm to rent rather than a new construction. So anything that can help in this direction is welcome. Our household goods will be shipped from Paris.
    What do you do in CR David ? …

A bientot- A mas tardes…

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I have to caution you about “. . . old world charm . . .” in a house. Here, that would typically mean low ceilings, small and cramped rooms, minimal lighting and electrical service, a kitchen from the U.S. in the 1890s and likely no hot water. Typical Tico houses simply aren’t up to the standards you would aspire to.

It might be fun to camp out for a while in one (maybe), but to make one’s permanent residence would require a huge step back from what you’re used to or a major rehabilitation job. The latter could well be more expensive than building from scratch, and you would still be stuck with what may be questionable architectural design (always a limiting factor).

Too, such a house certainly would not meet the current earthquake code which you would certainly like your house to meet.

kkirk101

Hi David,

I have read your replies on this forum and it sounds like you have a lot of good knowledge about moving to Costa Rica.

I also want to come to Costa Rica in the next few months to find a place to live.
    Does it rain a lot where you are living this time of year?
    Also I want to build a house in CR (I just built one in the U.S.). Do you know where I can start finding information on Earthquake codes, other codes, most popular building material (framed 2 x 4s, Cinderblock, etc.).

Any information is appreciated! Thanks,

Curt

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Curt, the rainy season (at least in the Central Valley, where about 75% of the population lives) runs about May through October, more or less. Some days it rains bucketsful; others just an afternoon drizzle; and sometimes not at all. But folks mostly carry umbrellas all the time.

Most building in Costa Rica is masonry. Reinforced block is the most common, but there are systems that spray concrete on a Styrofoam core, prefab wall panels, etc. Masonry is much stronger than wood framing, fire- and termite-proof, etc. If you have any choice in the matter at all, opt for a metal roof framing system versus wood. Again, it’s stronger and more durable.

You’ll need the services of an architect to get plans drawn. S/he will either also be a structural engineer or involve one in the technical side of the plans, so you need not know a whole lot about the earthquake code. We’re building our second house here and have opted to have the architect continue to supervise the process even though an engineer owns and manages the company that’s doing the building.

You must be careful that your electrical and plumbing systems are up to the standards you expect and that the builder follows the plan. Typically, an electrical engineer will do the electrical system plan, but you and your architect need to be sure that it’s followed. We’ve learned the hard way that this is a “caveat emptor” component of the building process.

wspeed1195

what are the restrictions on building your own house?I’m going to get the prints and necessary permits for the dwelling there. the reason I ask is I am capable of the task. I build for A living. I do my own drafting and design/engineering.I’ve built everything from specs to shopping centers. I am A hands on type contractor. not the sub it out type.I’ve literally done everything that it takes.I want to eliminate any problems ahead of time.

dkt2u

ghislaineeyer, I agree whole heartedly with Dave. The “old world charm” perception is subjective I guess depending on your definition of what that means. We have been here for one year now and bought a house after we arrived. We could have lived in it for awhile, but as Dave said, it would have almost been like camping out. To give you an idea of our experience, the kitchen consisted of a concrete outdoor type sink, a stove and a fridge. No cabinets, shelves or counter tops even. the electrical was exposed wire stapled to the walls and ceilings and just hanging down attatched to the light fixtures. The bedrooms were small….about 1 1/2 to 2 feet of space on each side of a full size bed. The walls did not go all the way to the ceilings. I would describe it though as a fairly typical Tico home. We gutted the entire house and remodeled it and had a beautiful home within about 5 months.

wspeed, I don’t think there are any restrictions on building your own home. You have to get the proper permits as you would if someone else was building it. Make sure you understand and follow the labor laws if you hire additional help, or even if you sub-contract out certain areas of the work to be done. If your sub-contractor is not paying the proper taxes on his workers, you may ultimately be responsible when the Municipalidad, or Sociodad come checking. We have a friend building his own home in the hills above the Parrita area here on the Pacific coast and has had these issues arise. He worked for one of the largest builders in the states so it sounds similiar to your situation and experience, and what you want to do.

wspeed1195

thank you. we are going to do everything as per need.we are going in the end of may for 1 month to do everything necessary. power, permits etc. etc.we are in oratina.again thank you.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Wspeed, I would strongly recommend that you go very slowly on this project. First, things are done differently here. The earthquake code probably imposes some restrictions and requirements that you’re not used to, building materials are somewhat different than for most of North America, and your needs will likely be different depending on just where you locate.

What’s more, unless you find the “perfect” location, your building plans will have to make some account for the setting. If there’s a slope to contend with, you’ll need to plan for more excavation than you might guess, and the house itself may have to be planned to allow for the limitations the slope imposes. None of that is to suggest that it can’t be done, inexpensively and successfully, but you have to play the cards you’re dealt, and here they’re different.

My recommendation would be to tentatively select a site. Then consult an architect and maybe an engineer to determine if it’s really buildable. Take into account topography, soil composition, availability of utilities (telephone, electricity, water, TV cable and Internet access), condition of access roads, etc.

I would insist on a new survey with marked boundaries so that you’ll know, beyond any point of discussion, that the land in question is what you mean to buy. Have an attorney do an on-line title search in the National Registry to be sure that the seller is, in fact, the owner, and that there are no liens.

Once all that is done, design or have designed the house you want to live in. If you start generically (three bedrooms, two baths, two-car garage), etc, then develop the layout, you can fit the building to the site.

wspeed1195

we own already and it is listed with the govenment site.the things you’ve mentioned as to land,soil,and topo has been taken into consideration. it is relatively flat for the region.the price reflects the quality of the land. were going for A month to just get started.
    Iunderstand you when you say the wheel turns slow. thus the month stay. anything you can think of in regards to this venture I would enjoy hearing.
    again thank you. your kindness in this matter is appreciated. their are some around who resent people coming there. funny thing is where did they come from. maybe they should punch themselves in the eye.lol

ranchos

Hola Ghislaine:

Be sure to check out the San Ramon area when you come.

We will be going to Paris this summer, love to meet up with you.

I have a B and B near the airport http://www.vidatropical.com

San Ramon is 45 minutes North/NW of the airport.

There is a nice B and B in the San Ramon area as well Angel Valley Farm.

Cheers,

Jose

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.